Page 4 of 7 First 1234567 Last
  1. #31

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    15
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Homersmyid
    It's just that well there's alot of Bullshido in bjj.
    Could you elaborate on this?

  2. #32
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I seem to just be digging a bigger hole for myself....

    What I meant to say is that bjj is the favored art of the 11 year old internet troll, who hasn't taken a day of training. I just had the bad luck of having discussions interrupted with "Bruce Lee was crap, anyone with 1 week of BJJ training would destroy him" or "hows a gun going to help you if I use my BJJ on you, sure you might shot me, but that's not instantly fatal, so then I'd rip you arms and legs off". That's over the top, but I think you know the type.

  3. #33
    Teh El Macho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia
    Posts
    11,746
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Homersmyid
    I seem to just be digging a bigger hole for myself....

    What I meant to say is that bjj is the favored art of the 11 year old internet troll, who hasn't taken a day of training. I just had the bad luck of having discussions interrupted with "Bruce Lee was crap, anyone with 1 week of BJJ training would destroy him" or "hows a gun going to help you if I use my BJJ on you, sure you might shot me, but that's not instantly fatal, so then I'd rip you arms and legs off". That's over the top, but I think you know the type.
    Ok, now I understand where you are coming from. Please keep in mind, however, that the sentence highlighted above does not constitute bullshido IN bjj. It means people posing and LARPing on what's fad nowadays.

    When the "Karate Kid" disgracefully came to the big screen, hordes of teentards where larping the deadly krotty. When Seagal came to the big screen, then it was Aikido. Remember Rocky VI and how, all of the sudden, everybody knew how to box? Then came Ong Bak and now you get tards discussing on the net, or worse, in real life, how deadly Muay Boran has turned them.

    Now you got the UFC, and everybody shaves their head a-la Chuck Liddell while wearing a tapout short (or g-string, whichever tickels their pickle.) This is just nature of young kids (or not so young kids) who latch onto the latest badass fad, trying to pass themselves as alpha males in their imaginary wolf packs.

    When people say "bullshido IN x art/discipline", it means there are bullshit technices and practices that are inherent of the aforementioned art or discipline.

    When people LARP an art, that's understandable. When they LARP and pretend to be something they are not (or pretend to be capable of doing something they can't), that's bullshit in its own right, but that's not necessarily an implication that the art being LARPed is bullshido.

    We are strong in semantics, and the bs.net hive mind is unforgiving ;)
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

    My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

    New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

    t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

    The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

  4. #34

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,131
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There may be a lot of people who are full of **** but one of the things that seperate bullshit martial arts from the rest is how they train. If a person bases his martial art experience on compliant training, his experience can't compare to someone who trains with full resistance. BJJ, as well as other some other martial arts, practice with full resistance. This training teaches them what to do to counter a fully resistant opponent. I think the bullshit comes in when someone claims there fighting skills are superior when they have never trained in anything but a compliant manner.

  5. #35
    Virus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    6,966
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't really see how some ass-tard highschool kid who doesn't train yet nutrides BJJ has anything to do with BJJ itself. The difference is that many of the people that talk bollocks about how deadly karate, kungfu and aikido are actually train or teach it themselves.

    I've never heard a BJJer say that he can beat any karate guy or any aikido guy. Of course, we all know that we can, but we just don't say it.

  6. #36

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    henderson, nc
    Posts
    488
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tom.f
    BJJ, as well as other some other martial arts, practice with full resistance. This training teaches them what to do to counter a fully resistant opponent. I think the bullshit comes in when someone claims there fighting skills are superior when they have never trained in anything but a compliant manner.

    i have a problem with the term FULL RESISTANCE... that to me implies something akin to a death match (lol) with no rules and any kind of technique applied to brutal extreme... which i am sure you do not mean... even Matt Thornton advocates PROGRESSIVE resistance, and that it is not necessary to go balls to the wall very often... a better term than FULL might be REALISTIC... but overall i agree with your sentiment...

  7. #37
    Just waiting for the paperboy. supporting member
    Lebell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Lolland
    Posts
    12,492
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho

    Now you got the UFC, and everybody shaves their head a-la Chuck Liddell while wearing a tapout short (or g-string, whichever tickels their pickle.) This is just nature of young kids (or not so young kids) who latch onto the latest badass fad, trying to pass themselves as alpha males in their imaginary wolf packs.
    dont forget to mention the latest sexy mma terms.

  8. #38

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,131
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AikiZenDragon
    i have a problem with the term FULL RESISTANCE... that to me implies something akin to a death match (lol) with no rules and any kind of technique applied to brutal extreme... which i am sure you do not mean... even Matt Thornton advocates PROGRESSIVE resistance, and that it is not necessary to go balls to the wall very often... a better term than FULL might be REALISTIC... but overall i agree with your sentiment...
    To be clear, I should not have implied that training in death matches was needed. That was not my intention. Realistic training to me has meant Judo randori and grappling, where the opponent does not intentionally make your application of any given technique sucessful. The few times I have had the opurtunity to roll with any BJJ people, my impression was that their intention was to go for the sub. while allowing me to live.

  9. #39

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    henderson, nc
    Posts
    488
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah i got that Tom, just trying to keep the language a bit clear...

  10. #40
    Ajamil's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Harrisburg, PA
    Posts
    772
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by datdamnmachine
    It isn't so much of the MMA "fighting in the cage/ring" idea that is prevalent but the training methodology that goes into MMA training and the ranges that make up MMA (striking, clinch, ground). You can do all these ranges with weapons, without weapons, with multiple people and without. You can have multiple people with some having weapons, and some without; the possibilities are endless. As long as the training is effective then your self defense is effective. If your training isn't effective then your self defense won't be.

    It just happens that the training provided by those who practice/participate in MMA competitions as well as those arts that help in MMA (Muay Thai, Wrestling (freestyle, Greco, Catch), Judo, Boxing, Jiu-Jitsu, Sambo,etc, etc, etc) tend to also be effective in self defense because of their training and their competition applications which allow you to test yourself against others as a measuring point for your skill and training.

    Anyone can do a bunch of forms and compliant moves drills and get their black belt and think they are ready for a fight and then find themselves woefully inadequate when it comes time to use their skill set. At the same time, combat sports give practitioners the opportunity to; in a safe controlled enviroment, see if what they are learning is actually effective and will work when called upon in a pressure situation. Other martial arts with unrealistic training approaches that are based more on theory and outdated techniques tend to fail in these situations. It's also one of the reasons you hear the old "street vs sport" and/or "competition vs self defense" brought up a lot. It makes for a convenient excuse for ineffectiveness.

    Actually, I don't think I've ever heard it put clearer than that. I'd +1 rep if I cared about such things enough to find out how.

Page 4 of 7 First 1234567 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO