Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/08/2007 10:34am

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonuzaba
    What do you base these assumptions on? Hooks, uppercuts, elbows, forearm cuts - just to name a few non-linear attacks used in wing chun.
    Honestly, my experience with Wing Chun is extremely limited. All I know of it is from summary reading and a number of videos online. If I'm mistaken about its technique, that's half the reason I frequent these forums in the first place: for correction on my misconceptions.

If I misunderstand the technique or the idea of centerline theory, please correct me. It'll only help me, in the long run.

Either way, by your logic, since boxing only uses a few punching techniques, it means a predictability in striking pattern that leads to easy evasion. So boxing matches would never show any hits, because everyone would easily evade the well known punchces...
    Experienced boxers do avoid the well-known punches. Generally, boxers don't necessarily expect their first attack to land. They throw the attack knowing their opponent will react to defend, and planning a follow-up based on that defense.

Now, maybe the video I've seen of Wing Chun sparring is lacking, but most of the time it seems that WC practitioners rely on forward motion and flurrying attacks to try to overwhelm their opponents. I don't usually see much in terms of setup or varied offense for these chainpunches. But, again, if I'm wrong, please point me in the direction of better examples. I am here to learn.

--Joe

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/15/2007 12:40pm

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bobyclumsyninja
    Kamon guy...you're sounding like a knucklehead and a tool. I've been in hundreds of messed up, tense situations, with reallly crazy people, or drunks out of control, rude kids, idiot frats, predatory thugs etc etc.....and out of all of that....almost never had to lay a hand. Not because I can't, but Boston's small, and it comes around. Running around beating everyone up won't end well for anyone....
    Just because you live in a ***** ass town, doesn't mean that everywhere else is like that.
    I was in a restaurant with my folks and bro where 15 chavs were sitting getting drunk
    Their kid was running around knocking tables over and came under our table
    My dad politely asked the parents if they could keep their kid over by their table.
    Next thing 15 chavs are grabbing my bro and punching him
    But of course, that was our fault...

And when people come up to me with a knife and ask for my wallet, that's my fault is it?
    Great, i will hopefully learn one day how to repel muggers with just my mind powers
    Idiot

My town is small too, and of course there are repercussions after any fight
    However, one of my mates got started on by two geezers and 'talked his way out of it'
    Yet when he went outside the club he was promptly grabbed by the two twats and beaten within an inch of his life

Trouble, it seems, finds me...but I don't use it as an excuse to beat up some drunk people, fat haters or loudmouths who don't train. Most of the time, if it comes to blows..then you're doing something wrong too....just the reality, sorry it doesn't fit your MASSIVE ego....
    As I said, if someone attacks me, I'm not going to stand and get hit. Its either him or me, and I'm too pretty to get hurt (just trying to justify your massive ego comment)

If you are what you say you are, and are doing what you say you do, it's likely your size, not your skillz are the factor.
    Not at all, I train with guys bigger and heavier than me daily.
    Size and strength is always a factor in martial arts, but Kevin Chan can still kick the crap out of me whenever he wants
    However, I have never claimed to be a grandmaster and still have loads to learn

That just hurts...
    Why? Do you really care about people on Bullshido? That's just sad...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/15/2007 1:28pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamon Guy
    Just because you live in a ***** ass town, doesn't mean that everywhere else is like that.
    I do believe that's the first time I've EVER heard Boston called a "***** ass town" outside of a Yankees/Sox debate.

I was in a restaurant with my folks and bro where 15 chavs were sitting getting drunk
    My dad politely asked the parents if they could keep their kid over by their table.
    To borrow some parlance, that sounds like a load of bollocks. Whether true or not, its anecdotal extremity is ridiculous to the point of being incredulous.

And when people come up to me with a knife and ask for my wallet, that's my fault is it?
    Is this an everyday occurrence for you? Honestly, if this happens often enough that you'd bring it up in this context, then yes. It is your fault for choosing to live and walk through a neighborhood that volatile.

--Joe

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    11/15/2007 2:41pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    People that live in south fuckin africa don't getting mugged at knife point every freakin day. Where the hell are you living that getting gang beat and mugged at knife point is a common occurence that is repeated on a regular basis? Most people have the good sense to not live in places like that. It's not that hard to find a place that isn't war torn bosnia or whatever hellhole you live in.

nail conditioning

Posted On:
    11/15/2007 4:31pm

Style: Rehab

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Great, i will hopefully learn one day how to repel muggers with just my mind powers
    Idiot

My town is small too, and of course there are repercussions after any fight
    However, one of my mates got started on by two geezers and 'talked his way out of it'
    Yet when he went outside the club he was promptly grabbed by the two twats and beaten within an inch of his life
    Where the **** do you live? What a shithole. Time to move to, well, pretty much anywhere else in the country.

Posted On:
    11/15/2007 5:37pm

Style: submission grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TamponGuy, you wouldn't be embellishing a bit would you? Kinda like that blue belt thing, neh?

:)

Posted On:
    11/15/2007 6:31pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why? Do you really care about people on Bullshido? That's just sad...
    hahahaha and hahahaha :XXbirdman

EDIT: by small I meant half a million people...not hicksville small. And WTF is a chav?

nail conditioning

Posted On:
    11/15/2007 6:32pm

Style: Rehab

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by M1K3
    TamponGuy, you wouldn't be embellishing a bit would you? Kinda like that blue belt thing, neh?
    Wasn't that Bear1980? Or has Tampon been at it now too?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/16/2007 8:50am

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RunningDog
    Wasn't that Bear1980? Or has Tampon been at it now too?
    What blue belt thing?

First off, I never said I was getting mugged everyday, but the places I visit in London to train etc are rough and do tend to have a lot of chavvy muggers
    I have been mugged (or approached to be mugged) about 25 times in the last 5 years. Its not that regular but it was just an example of how getting into a confrontation is not my fault (ie I didn't start the fights)
    Its easy to say don't go to those places, but there is no way round them

And by the way, my mate who lives in S Africa has described the Taxi Wars where people are getting shot everyday, let alone held at knifepoint!!

As for Kung Fu Joes comments on how he didn't believe my story at the restaurant, PM me and I will give you the name of the restaurant, time that it happened, and the police reference number

As for TamponGuy - at least I get close to *****....

Posted On:
    11/16/2007 9:10am

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon
    People that live in south fuckin africa don't getting mugged at knife point every freakin day. Where the hell are you living that getting gang beat and mugged at knife point is a common occurence that is repeated on a regular basis? Most people have the good sense to not live in places like that. It's not that hard to find a place that isn't war torn bosnia or whatever hellhole you live in.
    The bad parts of south africa are as bad as the phillipines were at their most violent. It is not good times