Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    10/11/2007 1:27pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamon Guy
    In Kamon we do feeding techniques, where a person will attack and we will beat the crap out of them. This for me is not sparring and I don't ever keep it in the same category. Sparring should be about judging distances, moving with opponents etc. In wing chun we get in there and stay there.

And yes I have sparred in boxing, BJJ, karate, CKD and escrima.
    Yeah, and if you "Get in there and stay" with a guy who is capable of slamming you and choking you unconcious in sparring, he's just going to do it again and not let go of the choke this time. I ask you again, WHAT evidence leads you to believe that you are capable of performing any of these techniques against someone in a live situation?
    If you claim that Wing Chun is no good for sparring, when you sparred against those other arts did you get the holy hell beat out of you? If not, are you recanting your statement and saying Wing Chun DOES work in sparring? Or are you going to try to tell me that you sparred each of those arts using their own art?

Sparring is about pressure testing your techniques. "Does this work if my opponent REALLY doesn't want it to work?". Get that through your head.

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/11/2007 1:28pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is no choreograpphy when Kevin Chan does fighting demos. He just says 'come at me with anything' and we do. We could go in with a flying kick, but we try and keep it a bit sensible

There is no 'you hit me with that hand' etc. Anything goes
    It is a Demo. We watched the Demo you posted earlier. It is not a fight it is a Demo.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/11/2007 1:29pm

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan
    But not in Wing Chun, right?
    Two chunners from other schools tried to spar with me and I just laughed at them because it was a pile of crap. I ended up shutting them down and submitting them.
    This was the only time I have 'sparred' using wing chun

The guy who posted a vid in the other thread claimed to spar and it was more like watching two guys dancing

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/11/2007 1:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    It is a Demo. We watched the Demo you posted earlier. It is not a fight it is a Demo.
    That video was a demo, yes. The demos that Kevin Chan does are more fight orientated (rather than fixed drills)

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/11/2007 1:32pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That video was a demo, yes. The demos that Kevin Chan does are more fight orientated (rather than fixed drills)
    It is a Demo. Fight oriented my ass it is a Demo. You just admitted there is no intent.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    10/11/2007 1:34pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I never said I was an advocate. I enjoy it but it still has many flaws. Especially traditional wing chun which is very flat footed

Obviously, you are an advocate, but never mind that. Did you just say to TWC that 'Your Martial Art Sucks'?
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/11/2007 1:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon
    Yeah, and if you "Get in there and stay" with a guy who is capable of slamming you and choking you unconcious in sparring, he's just going to do it again and not let go of the choke this time. I ask you again, WHAT evidence leads you to believe that you are capable of performing any of these techniques against someone in a live situation? .
    Maybe because I have used it in confrontations and won?
    The person in feedin techniques fights back. To start with he is just feeding punches in, getting people used to defending punches, then as you go up the levels, the techniques are more intense, the partner resists and fights back if he is able

If you claim that Wing Chun is no good for sparring, when you sparred against those other arts did you get the holy hell beat out of you? If not, are you recanting your statement and saying Wing Chun DOES work in sparring? Or are you going to try to tell me that you sparred each of those arts using their own art? .
    Sparring is about pressure testing your techniques. "Does this work if my opponent REALLY doesn't want it to work?". Get that through your head.
    When I spar with other arts, yes I am using those arts. And yes, most of the time I get beaten the crap out of. That is why I am not an instructor at BJJ or boxing!! If I train wing chun against a boxer, I do not really call it a spar.
    Pressure testing techniques is not a spar.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/11/2007 1:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan
    Obviously, you are an advocate, but never mind that. Did you just say to TWC that 'Your Martial Art Sucks'?
    What is TWC?
    Is that Traditional Wing Chun?
    I don't recall saying anything sucked. I certainly don't think many traditional wing chun people are good fighters. Bruce Lee found this when he went to America - that his wing chun was too fixed and not flexible enough

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    10/11/2007 1:40pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You clearly have a different definition of Sparring than reasonable sane people do.

Now, what is the purpose of trying to use techniques you aren't trained in when working against someone who IS trained in those techniques? Wouldn't it make a LOT more sense to use the techniques you ARE trained in to see how they work against the training of other people?

And if you believe that sparring is not for pressure testing your technique then where/when DO you pressure test your technique?

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/11/2007 1:44pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And if you believe that sparring is not for pressure testing your technique then where/when DO you pressure test your technique?
    They do feeding techniques.

*duh*
Page 28 of 36 FirstFirst ... 182425262728 29303132 ... LastLast