Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    10/01/2007 1:19am

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    More like jab, stick my right palm in their face in a way vaguely punch looking but with all my hip rotation commited to powering my leg,not my hand.

I'll post a video in the future when I feel like going to the gym again.

Posted On:
    10/01/2007 7:11am

Style: Shootfighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think throwing the arm back also helps in freeing up the abdominal muscles, wich help in powering the kick, but since I'm a Muay Tha´ noob, I'm not sure.

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    10/01/2007 7:18am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I find that throwing the arm back helps turn the hip over and makes your foot pivot better
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/01/2007 7:41am

Style: TSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Conservation of angular momentum: The backward angular momentum of the arm is transfered to the leg as extra forward angular momentum/power, which is then transfered to your opponent in the form of pain. :icon_blac

Posted On:
    10/01/2007 8:09am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaTrocity
    More like jab, stick my right palm in their face in a way vaguely punch looking but with all my hip rotation commited to powering my leg,not my hand.
    Yeah, that's a good one. It great if mixed up with the 1-2 to keep your opponent guessing whether the right hand is a punch or hiding a kick.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/01/2007 10:48am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Craigypooh
    Conservation of angular momentum: The backward angular momentum of the arm is transfered to the leg as extra forward angular momentum/power, which is then transfered to your opponent in the form of pain. :icon_blac
    That's exactly it. It's the same reason you kick your leg out backwards when you do a superman punch. It's more linear, but the principle is the same, you create forward momentum by kicking backwards.
    Don't do it. It's a great way to get punched in the face, at least that's what I was taught, and my instructor made the point quit clear when we sparred. A great example of this is Tim Sylvia vs Ricco Rodriguez, UFC 41. Sylvia eats the leg kick, smashes Rodriguez right in the face, finishing the fight. Keep your hands up.

Posted On:
    10/01/2007 12:51pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've never really understood the whole idea of throwing your kick side hand out, other than it could work as a counter-balance and help you recover to an orthodox stance. I've tried it, and it doesn't seem to help with my power, and makes me nervous about someone stepping in with an overhand counter.

I know that I'm probably going against the grain here, but I don't mind switching my stance to absolutely bury a kick in someone's thigh. With hands high and tight, it definitely is a bit more difficult to recover to convetional stance without the arm counterbalancing the leg. But I'd rather just drive it through anyway if I see it's open or set it up well. I just hate pulling out of leg kicks if they are open. To me that's like a check-swing single, when you could've smashed the ball out of the park with more follow through.

I've actually dropped a few folks by landing a single leg kick. But I'm a rather low-tech caveman-smash type fighter who just happens to be a heavyweight with large thighs, so take that all with a grain of salt.

I wouldn't suggest that people should always keep their hands pinned to their jaw like I do, as there are some fantastic fighters who don't and I must assume that they have some reason not to. But personally, I've never had balance or power issues with my kick while keeping hands high, and unless someone could show me any specific reason as to why I should open up that guard, I'll probably just keep doing it like I do it. It might not technically be seen as right by some trainers, but I've also never been proven wrong.
    Last edited by Ryno; 10/01/2007 12:57pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/04/2007 11:33pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: wado kai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    dropping the arm is understandable for beginners because is would lower your shoulder and help increase ralaxation however, throwing it in the opposing direction of your hip is just flat out foolish, thats like trying to turn left in a car by turning the steering wheel right...its gonna cause problems.

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    10/05/2007 12:20am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Throwing the hand, not just dropping it, adds a counterbalance so you can throw all your force into the kick without worrying about overbalancing while putting your hips into the kick. If you don't have that counterbalance it makes it harder for you to force your body to commit to a full power kick.

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    10/05/2007 12:25am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wado kai karate
    dropping the arm is understandable for beginners because is would lower your shoulder and help increase ralaxation however, throwing it in the opposing direction of your hip is just flat out foolish, thats like trying to turn left in a car by turning the steering wheel right...its gonna cause problems.
    tell that to this man...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast