Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    9/29/2007 4:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Silly question about round kicks, kicking side arm up or down?

[BS Filler=
    When I was first shown the round in kick in Karate/TSD, I was taught to keep the hands up at all times. Once I started Enshin (Kyokushin off shoot), I was taught the whole kicking side arm drops to help with something, I don't really know. Now that I've started Muay Thai the kicks are pretty much the same, drop kicking side arm, shin contact etc, hip rotation etc.

So last night I'm doing some padwork at my judo club, and one of the Judo blackbelts tells me to keep my hands up when I throw my kick. I basically ask why should I do that when I've been taught this way (dropping kicking side arm) by 2 different schools, plus have seen actual Thai fighters do this on numerous videos. He said he trained in Thailand and with someone else is Virginia, and that they don't drop their arms. Now I personally believe that he has trained with them, I just completely disagree with him as far as not dropping that arm. Also despite my disagreement I have no problem with learning a new way to kick, just not a month before a fight]

So what does this come down to personal preference or statistical proof?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/29/2007 4:41pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was told by my MT coach that dropping the arm helps you counter balance and throw the kick 100%. My krav schools said keep the hands up all the time no matter what.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/29/2007 4:41pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Comes down to the tradeoff: more energy in the kick with swinging arm, or a "tighter" defense without it. My trainer (MT) said both are valid, train both and choose your preference.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/30/2007 11:38pm

Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i don't understand how dropping the hand "in the opposite direction" of the kick creates any more power... of course i am no physicist, but it seems back asswards to me... wouldn't it in fact take power/momentum away from the kick?... i keep the hands up... alot of guys i mess around with try to catch/block the kick with the same side hand and launch a big ass punch with the other hand... so i use the "up hand" to defend/counter this

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    9/30/2007 11:45pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Swinging the arm does seem to generate more power. I suspect it makes it a little easier to turn your body into the kick.

Keeping your hands up in a guard position tends to get them in the way and **** up peoples kick because they now cant rotate as efficiently and thus rob themselves of power.

My prefered way is to shove my hand in their face and thus they see nothing coming.

I also have a cool sweep that I like to do that plays off a similar concept. Shoving the hand to the side of their head like you were going to kick them, and then using the hand to kindof pull their head towards your right (assuming you're orthodox) and then kick their feet out from under them.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/01/2007 12:00am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    again wouldn't moving your arm and shoulder in the opposite direction actually LIMIT the amount of hip rotation you can achieve AND likely destroy your balance since your upper body and lower body are rotating in opposite directions... i have done it both ways and i quite like your cool sweep, but i have settled on hands up or at least dropping only slightly... i would still like to see what others think since i DO in fact drop it somewhat when facing someone in a 'MIRROR" stance... that is me fighting a southpaw who tries to kick my kick or my supporting leg

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    10/01/2007 12:08am

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not an physicist engineer type. I just kick ****. Throwing the arm seems to make me kick **** harder. That's all I'm sayin.

Also, throwing the arm does not mean not turning the upper body. you still throw your shoulder into the kick aswell.

Also, when you watch thai's kick ****, they throw the arm.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/01/2007 12:15am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i hear what you're saying i have seen it practiced/taught both ways just seems kind of backwards to me to drop it... whatever works for someone is good just make sure you don't get the habit and have someone use it against you... my case for dropping slightly was some long legged southpaw guy who would kick over my low roundhouse into my ribs BECAUSE i kept my hands high so i modified it a little to protect my ribs from southpaws ( or vice versa when i go southpaw)... guys are always picking up my habits and using them against me, but well i do that too so...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/01/2007 12:34am

Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Though it may seem counter-intuitive, throwing the arm should actually help generate more power (though, anyone that knows for sure should feel free to tear me apart for not knowing my dynamics). In order to throw that hand back, you have to have an equal force going forward due to Newton's Third Law. Since you drop your hand in the same plane (but opposite direction) of your kick, the end result is more force.

Once again, this is coming from a chemical engineering student that took physics I over 2 years ago, so i could very well be wrong.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/01/2007 12:58am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaTrocity

My prefered way is to shove my hand in their face and thus they see nothing coming.
    You mean jab, leave it there, roundhouse?
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast