Posted On:
    9/29/2007 9:18pm

supporting member
     Style: On hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like the "how to take a punch" link:

Steps

1. Relax mentally. You have to relax. If you fear that the pain will be more agonizing than what it actually will be, it'll hurt even worse.

2. Breathe. When someone punches you in the stomach area, breathing out hard and swift will take all air out of your stomach so that they don't knock the wind out of you. Tighten your abdominal muscles; it will help protect vital organs. Try not to double up or bend over. Instead, stretch backward slightly if you can/if the situation allows it.

3. Visualize getting hit hard. If you can visualize it, you can take punches a lot better.

4. Don't panic! If you panic you will have a hard time recovering from a hard blow. You'll be suprised how fast your body will recover after a hard punch.

5. Have a short memory. When you get hit, try not to think about it. Not thinking about it helps the pain go away. Remember that pain is temporary and there are worse situations you could be in. Scientifically, pain is only in your mind. Its your mind telling what just happened, if you think of that, it won't be so bad.

6. The best thing to do is be proactive. Do not look in your opponents eyes, watch the area of his/her collar bone, not only will you be able to tell that they are going to punch you you will be able to tell what hand they are going to do it with.
    And the the very first "tip" listed underneath the above steps:

If this doesn't help, try counter-attacking, dodging or blocking the punch.
    LOL.

Regarding the article mentioned in the OP, it sounds like the standard stuff: try to get away, fight as a last resort. Nothing new for anyone who takes their training seriously, IMO.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/30/2007 5:20am

Style: Defense Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have been thinking about the concept of a street fight for a while. First it can mean a self defense situation or law enforcement task. For example, when someone is being robbed, assaulted, raped or arrested. In this case you do almost anything possible to get out of the situation.

It can also mean some sort of free fight. In this case it's two persons trying to solve something with violence. The point here is not to survive, because this things could usually be solved by walking away from the situation. It's more to defeat the other in a way that makes him look like a fool. Usually there's audience to cheer up the the fighters and someone most likely will break the fight if it goes totally one sided. Although there are no rules, people tend to use only their fists and sometimes grab the other from shirt or head and perhaps try to pin him down. Why? I guess, because a 'real fighter' doesn't need eye gouging, biting the balls, knives, (kicking?) etc. They want a pretty KO or a hold where other is helpless. If you don't follow what I'm talking about, check out some hockey brawls, cat fights, kids fighting, Kimbo at the backyard etc.

My point is, that in the second case it's not anything goes and usually there's some time to prepare in to the fight. Is this still a 'real fight'?

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    9/30/2007 6:56am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AMH
    what ever dude, piss off, most posts on bullshido are "kiddie" to begin with, so what makes this one any different?

I wanted to talk about this article specifically and what people thought about this specific piece of writing, not street fighting by it self.
    kiddie.

Keeeeee-Yeah!

Posted On:
    9/30/2007 10:35am

Style: Whoo-Hoo-Fu!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We were in a seminar a few years back and this advice was passed on, I think it's applicable....

"How do you stop Rickson from getting arm bar from mount?"

"Don't let Rickson get mount."

Clear enough?

Good.

TKD

THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

"Ladies and gentlemen, the pilot has instructed everyone to sit the **** down and shut the **** up." Henry Rollins

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/01/2007 9:33am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TKD Black Belt
    We were in a seminar a few years back and this advice was passed on, I think it's applicable....

"How do you stop Rickson from getting arm bar from mount?"

"Don't let Rickson get mount."

Clear enough?

Good.

TKD
    This is fucking ridiculous. There is no way to stop Rickson from getting mount. The correct response would be "Never ever roll with Rickson, ever"

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    10/01/2007 10:08am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This thread once again illustrates that Parkour is the ultimate in self defense. There is just about no substitute for being able to leap a 10 ft chain link fence and freeclimb the face of a building to escape your pursuers. Parkour FTW!

Posted On:
    10/01/2007 10:12am

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didn't click the link, but I did note that the article was from wikihow and is thus, by definition, extremely fucking stupid.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/01/2007 10:26am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: working and schooling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Parkour is pretty badass if you have the ability of a traceur. Best defense: don't be there; and if you are, run away fast.........or be like Ashida Kim and levitate far far away!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2007 12:44pm

Style: .45ACP & Confusion

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like I said I wanted to discuss this article, not street fighting itself.
    I apologize (especially to you Lebell, I still love you my little San Da Dutch-y Poo) for starting a shitty thread.

Considering the fact that this article is by Wikihow, it is well written and well rounded.
    It covers situational awareness, de-escalation, escape, and the last resort of fighting.

Although the information it contains is basic knowledge for someone with martial arts experience I though the author was articulate and obviously knowledgeable about the topic at hand.

:offtheair

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/03/2007 3:00pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The street fighting link is okay, but Wikihow is all about finding the comedy. For instance:

How to win an MMA Match

Things I learned:
    • Groin kicks and leg sweeps are key moves.
    • Grappling means "holding tight onto [your opponent]."
    • When an opponent goes to ground, they will always try to get up immedietely.
    • When this happens, you speed punch their torso "for about a minute."
    • Family members and soccer games are invaluable MMA training
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast