Style
    Kajukenbo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

No sacred cows here....

Noob here looking to lose his cherry icon. Got turned onto the site by another instructor and I definitely dig the FU factor present here. The public cornholing of my style (Ninjutsu) was a bit suprising but pretty accurate. Lots of damaged individuals pursuing a "mystical" art out there. But first allow me to properly introduce myself and my lack of credentials.

I've been training for 5 years in Ninjutsu, and received Shodan ranking just this summer. So I'm a relatively inexperienced instructor compared to the crowd I run with. Rank amateur might be a bit more accurate, but I digress. I began my training with Bennest Karate (I know, I know..... [sigh]... I know) and left his school along with one of his senior instructors after things became untenable. We have thrived since breaking ties with him and been warmly welcomed by some pretty big local players.

After taking a hard look at our style's weaknesses (only strong in standup fighting) we have broadened our horizons and sought out well respected talent to strengthen our ground game. Some may view this as tainting your style, but when the style you have been taught cannot hold up to scrutiny lineage-wise, game on.

If anyone out there wants to take a swing, I've got my nomex jock strap firmly secured.

TKDBot
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome aboard, mikedebear! The Bullshido staff would welcome you personally, but the thing is they’re busy keeping the peace, so they’ve apointed me, a bot, to pat you on the back and assure you that in no way will you be harmed during your stay here at BS.net. Your views on the martial arts, your philosphy, maybe even your entire reason for being will be challenged, shattered, reorganized, melted down, and forged into something new and shiny, but we swear it will only hurt a little bit… at first.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to the board. As long as you remember that BJJ is supierior to any other style you have trained or will train in the future, you'll do fine.

Kidding. Don't be ashamed, your style won a UFC after all.

Style
    muay thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    welcome to bullshido mike. i think you will find that cross-training is held in high regard at this site. you should be okay in this thread as far as flaming and all is concerned. How do you guys exercise your techniques in your school?

Style
    Kajukenbo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    romeyroam writes:
    How do you guys exercise your techniques in your school?

Clarify for me if I'm wandering off in the wrong direction: we tend to introduce the technique where all students are required to start at slow speed. After several repetitions (making sure you're not going to break your partner's wrist, knee, trachea, whatever) we speed things up until they're running full speed.

We don't recommend full power strikes in the classroom (our primary target being the throat and small joint manipulation) as we've seen too many other schools decimate their enrollment through attrition. I'm not going to suggest there is anything wrong with full contact training, it's just not how I choose to teach.

Our style is heavy on self defense and weapons training. Most weapons aren't applicable in the real world, but have proven to enhance a student's training, dexterity, and general understanding of the martial arts faster than other methods. For the record, the only use I have for nunchuka (sp?) are for trapping limbs and pressure point strikes. I would sooner throw them than use them as a flail in a confrontation.

In cross training, we embrace anything proven to work in the real world. I've trained pretty heavily in Shotokan and Aikido, with less time in grade in BJJ, Kali, Judo, Iaido, and Muay Thai (my most recent foray - cool stuff).