Thread: Thumb injury

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Thumb injury

I jammed my thumb yesterday rolling in class. My instinct is to say away from class until it heals completely. However, I don't want to be idle for a week or two. Is there a way to grapple with minimal risk of aggravating my injury, otr should I just sit it out?Thanks.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi Matt,

I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on tv, but I recently dislocated my thumb, and after seeking (semi-) professional advice, I chose to sit out for a few weeks. This was mainly due to the hand hurting like hell and not being able to grab or hold anything with my crab-like, strapped up hand.

It depends on the nature of the injury. Have you had it assessed by a physician?
    If it's just a bit of an impact injury, anti-inflammatory pills (ibuprofen etc) might help if it's swollen, and ice is also good.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    See your doctor and get his/her opinion.
    If you do roll than tape it up real good and tell your training partner to take it easy for a while.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks, guys.

No, I stupidly have not seen a doctor. I hurt my hand on Saturday and my doctor closes early that day. I will probably have to wait until Monday.

It looks like I will be on the sidelines for a while.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    that sucks... i suggest u sit it out, dont wanna mess it up even more just because of a jammed thumb... but check this out anyways http://www.blingo.com/search?q=jamme...eid=opensearch

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Keep icing it. You want to keep the swelling down so it doesn't **** up the joint. Don't work it til it's ready.
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not a Doc, but have fucke up my thumbs from getting them hung up in Gi's during sparring.

I would go for the ice on the thumb and Ibuprofen if you don't have any contraindications for Ibuprofen (Read the label).