Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/29/2007 10:23am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: muay thai/boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How Much of a Difference Does Three Fights Make?

Hey, I'm supposed to fight someone at a muay thai event that has a record of 3-0. i have never fought before. i was wondering how much of a difference those three fights that he has had will make?

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    9/29/2007 10:52am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i would say probably a lot. He won't have the first fight jitters, and will probably have a lot of confidence given his ability. That can be a huge advantage. How did you, and a brand new fighter, get stuck fighting someone who's 3-0?

Posted On:
    9/29/2007 10:56am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, see I don't know how that ended up happening either haha. I guess I'm not half bad is the reason that I'm set up to fight this guy. Well, I hope that's the reason, because I can't think of anything else that would set this up.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/29/2007 1:05pm

Style: TKD, JKD, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of my training partners went into a KOTC fight with a 3-1 record.
    His opponent was 0-0.
    Turns out my buddy walks out of the cage with a 3-2 record.

Chances are that the fight coordinator is using you as a stepping stone for a rising star.
    Or maybe it was just a random selection.

Posted On:
    9/29/2007 1:14pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hope that i'm not being used as a stepping stone by the coordinator, because it's my gym that's holding the fights lol So do you guys think that I should take this fight regardless of my lack of experience? Oh and do any of you know of a Xavier De Guzman?

poser

Posted On:
    9/29/2007 1:55pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Even if you do get beaten, it'll be a good experience for you. Make sure you have a good video of the fight so you can study it and fix what you screwed up on afterwards.

Nothing is more helpful than being smacked down by someone better than you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/29/2007 3:04pm

Style: *********

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How much difference does three fights make... well really that all depends. It could make a lot, or it could make a little. If they were three equally matched opponents then I would say that he probably won't have a lot of the jitters and will probably know how to deal well with being hit, the fatigue, etc... that being in a first fight you just won't have the experience for. As a wrestler I remember being able to wrestle non-stop for thirty minutes against constant fresh opponents... but then being wiped after four minutes of a six minute match... its just different when pride is on the line.

The other possibility is that he went up agaist one, two, or even three guys that really weren't ready for their first fight yet. Or he got lucky. Even a blind squirel finds a nut occasionally. Another anectdotal story, when I was young and didn't know any better I took TKD, I remember my first sparring match. It was against a Black Belt. We were doing first point wins quick matches. I got lucky and won(that's how I look back on it now). Then I thought I was a hot **** natural. Then we went to the full contact live sparring(essentially tap, or have the ref stop it because if not you'll get hurt). I was back up against that same black belt... he kicked my ass.

So really his record could work for you... if it has gone to his head. Or if he really is good... well then the experience will work for you. In all of my wrestling and MA experience, though I loved the wins, I learned the most from my losses.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/29/2007 3:14pm

Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It might help you to consider this as a win-win situation. If you lose, well, you'll still learn a lot, plus you end up losing to a guy that has a lot more experience which is understandable. If you win you'll learn a lot and beating a guy that no one else has will only help build your confidence for your next fight.

So...if you think about it there's no possible way you cannot benefit in part or in total from winning or losing.

Posted On:
    9/29/2007 3:25pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for all the input guys, you really helped make this a lot clearer. I guess that all can do is go out there beat him up and hope for the best huh:P? Thank you again for all the input. Has anyone else been in a situation like this, by the way?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/29/2007 3:51pm

Style: *********

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let us know what happens.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast