Posted On:
    10/05/2007 6:14pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikedebear
    Backdraft wrote:
    Or you could, you know, train in a real martial art, you muppet.

Sorry, my history readings must have omitted the wizened old sage on the mountaintops of the himalayas teaching "shootfighting" to the monks. At least *I* can take my style with a grain of salt (and the multitude of chuckleheads associated with it).

Salope.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2007 6:23pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sdave
    It might be worth noting that, at any given time, there are less than 1700 professional NFL players in the world. They are selected for size, strength, speed and agility from the US population of 300,000,000 (there have been players from at least 6 foreign countries, so technically they're selected from a world population of 6,000,000,000). Dismissing any former NFL pro as an easy opponent is just plain silly.
    no **** ... Jarrod Bunch, who used to be an RB for the NY Giants & U of Michigan & who fought in KOTC, trains at my BJJ school. when he started as a brand new white belt, I could just barely hang with him (I'm a ~190 lb. blue); within a couple of months, he was tapping browns. serious pro athletes are on a completely different level from most of us, and very bad news if they want to be.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2007 7:18pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Friggin noobs. I'm tellin ya.

I swear I'll figure it out right after this whole indoor plumbing thing is explained to me:5obsessed

Lightweight

Posted On:
    10/06/2007 12:19pm

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     Founder of College Park Mixed Martial Arts Style: BJJ, San Shou, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh yes, this is destined to become classic

Posted On:
    10/06/2007 12:57pm

Style: Shootfighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikedebear
    Backdraft wrote:
    Or you could, you know, train in a real martial art, you muppet.

Sorry, my history readings must have omitted the wizened old sage on the mountaintops of the himalayas teaching "shootfighting" to the monks. At least *I* can take my style with a grain of salt (and the multitude of chuckleheads associated with it).

Salope.
    You know what, I could explain to you how the term shootfighting originated in England to describe non-worked wrestling matches. I could explain to you how it's still used in Sweden as a catch-all term for submission grappling, kind of like "Jiu-Jitsu" is becoming in the UFC. I could explain to you that the reason I have shootfighting in my style field is because I fucking live in the last country in the world to use the term (Sweden, in case you did'nt get it the first time), and that since my club is called Renyi Shoot and MMA, I find it easy to just call it shootfighting.
    But why bother, you do ninjutsu. It's a wonder you know how to use a computer.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/06/2007 2:58pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Backdraft, my apologies. I was merely attempting to brush up on my Continental Greetings. As far as your style, knock yourself out- no really. There are so many sub-genum varieties of different culture's alley fighting out there, that I apologize if I Somehow managed to overlook such an Influential and Sweeping The Globe style.

But seriously, I study ninjutsu- so WTF do I know. I must be just another bolt necked, knuckledragging, mouth breather with fantasies of dressing up in blue PJ's and playing light sabre on a tile rooftop.

Hopefully the sarcasm 2.0 filter is installed on your compooter.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/06/2007 4:42pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/06/2007 10:04pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe watching a former wrestler (Bill) stumble around the mat on shooting basics I thought he should have known. He says he's been wresting since he was 5 and he doesn't understand a basic double leg? I'm no grappling genius, but c'mon. Why play dumb?
    From what I've read around, Bill Duff graduated from high-school around 1993 and just played football from there on. I assume that his lack of knowledge in shooting basics is due to him not wrestling for over a decade.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/07/2007 6:40am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I took a number of years off between my kickboxing and my kung fu with spats of training here and there, and still remembered how to throw a jab and a roundhouse. My ex, who graduated HS in '88 and wrestled for years, can still do a double leg without breaking a sweat and he hasn't wrestled in almost 20 years. I'm not saying Duff shouldn't have trained, but he came across as playing dumb. That strikes me as "pandering" for the masses. Maybe it's b/c I do MA and the show is really more geared towards people who don't.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    10/08/2007 9:25am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gangrelchilde
    I took a number of years off between my kickboxing and my kung fu with spats of training here and there, and still remembered how to throw a jab and a roundhouse. My ex, who graduated HS in '88 and wrestled for years, can still do a double leg without breaking a sweat and he hasn't wrestled in almost 20 years. I'm not saying Duff shouldn't have trained, but he came across as playing dumb. That strikes me as "pandering" for the masses. Maybe it's b/c I do MA and the show is really more geared towards people who don't.
    Chances are that Duff was a mediocre wrestler who got by on size and halfassed his wrestling while waiting for football practices to resume in late spring. Calling him a wrestler is wholly inaccurate.
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213