Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/28/2007 9:27am

Style: *********

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Ryukyu Kenpo in Israel - Jerusalem is becoming LARPtastic!

Living in the home of KM, where if you believe the hype everyone has learned it in the Army, I find the lack of real martial arts schools quite discouraging. Actually for a lack of a place to train, I started a study group on my roof(but enough about me). I was away for several months and having come back I have decided either I didn't look hard enough the first time... or I simply chose to ignore the truth... LARPing and BS schools are at an all time high.

First becuase of the Lichtenstein monopoly on KM here, there are only a hand full of schools in the country and up to date instructors are rare. I know three. Two I am sad to say feel the need to augment their skills by learning Ninjustsu. Now if this was Dr. Hatsumi Bujinkan I would say have fun... but no... one is Koga-Ryu(very popular here) which well has a bit of a shady past. The other is Ronji-Ryu, which some guy claims to have picked up in Japan(also very popular here). What really kills me is when these guys or better yet their questionable instructors want to come to my study group and teach, because you know... we can benefit from cross training. Though to date both have changed their minds when I said we practice pistol disarms with an airsoft pistol... not sure why.

Then just today I came across this:
    http://www.ryukyukenpo.org/
    No I wasn't searching the web... just noticed their sign on every newsboard around town.

You would think in a country as torn apart as this... where even half our police officers have gone to jump school(I don't know why) that people would actually see through the BS. Instead it only seems to be worse.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/28/2007 11:41am

Style: Baboo Baby

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Isn't it Lichtenfeld, not Lichtenstein?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/28/2007 12:07pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by melk
    Though to date both have changed their minds when I said we practice pistol disarms with an airsoft pistol... not sure why.
    That is a great idea! I'm going to suggest that to my instructor. Out of curiosity, do you use Springer pistols or Gas Blowback?

Then just today I came across this:
    http://www.ryukyukenpo.org/
    No I wasn't searching the web... just noticed their sign on every newsboard around town.
    Oh, man-- there's some superb Bullshido flags on this site. I love that self-appointed 10th-Dan ranking that Grandmaster Natan is sporting. And I'm always wary when I see a claim like:
    Quote Originally Posted by RyukyuKenpo.org
    He is the retired undefeated heavyweight champion of the United States, and former #1 world rated heavyweight fighter in bogu kumite.
    Can't help but notice that there's no mention of what tournament or organization backed these rankings. Also can't help but notice that the Ryukyu Kenpo.org site is conspicuously missing the "Written by D'veed Natan" bit that's found at the end of this textually identical biography.

--Joe

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/28/2007 12:31pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: mma, kali, guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just a word of warning for Airsoft disarms. Be very careful of your trigger fingers. Trigger guards can be dangerous things if you go "dynamic" and the adrenalin flows. Especially with an inside strip

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/28/2007 1:45pm

Style: Baboo Baby

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do they make airsoft guns without trigger guards?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/28/2007 3:14pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: mma, kali, guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Never seen them, but if you have one of the cheap Wal-mart clear plastic ones, hacksaw modification may be in order.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/29/2007 12:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally never worried about trigger guard, but then I don't think it would be an issue with any of the disarms that I practice. I will say this though, there is no mistaking when you have been shot... it stings. I use the springer, not the gas.

As far the Ryu Kyu guys, what triggered me was this,
    Due to its practical, uncompromising nature, Ryukyu Kenpo Kobujutsu can never be a sport.

While this may prevent it from becoming ‘popular’, it does preserve the discipline’s primary objective: the creation of a life insurance policy that can’t ‘lapse’.
    I have thought about this long and hard. Now I can understand martial arts that do not want to go sport, as an ideology, or because they don't want to train with sport imposed restrictions, if that is your school great. For instance my own instructor, Matt Powell, tends to steer away from sport... however that does not mean that what he teaches cannot be effecitively used in sport, or that even some of his students don't... especially those that train in other Martial Arts, which he encourages.

In my mind what differentiates between sport and street effective(for the common civilian not in a battlefield situation) is simply self control. For instance, since so many here are into BJJ, take the arm bar, in any of its variations. The only thing that differentiates the "sport" version submission, from the swing for the fences, take his arm 90degrees in a direction it was never intended to move, is only self-control(and possibly adreline and panic levels). At least that is my thought.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/29/2007 1:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So I know that I just put up a reply not that long ago, but I just took a stroll to get a shwarma(what passes as a burger and fries in these parts) and I noticed a whole new set of interesting MA banners posted on the town message boards(what passes for a news service where most ppl don't have TV). It was a link to this this website:
    http://www.abir.org.il/
    Now this guy makes some pretty funky claims. While he does give organizations for the laundry list of black belts he has, I seriously call into question his MA. Ancient Israeli, super-secret. I am sorry, I am a Jew, just as religious as this guy, but I have to say, if we had this super-deadly, super-secret MA for all of these thousands of years, why have we had so many problems with:
    Assyrians
    Babylonians
    Persians
    (we did beat the Greeks so much for Pankration)
    Romans
    Arabs
    Crusaders
    Spanish Inquisitors
    Cossacks
    Russians
    Nazis
    And that is only an abreviated list.

Also check out this video on his website
    http://www.abir.org.il/The%20Abir%20Roiim.wmv
    Talk about compliant.

His other websites are also interesting. I would expect an ancient Middle-eastern art to look more like Pankration, some of the traditional slavic styles or even some of the current Arab martial traditions, not so much like a mix of Kung Fu, Karate... etc eastern styles.

Posted On:
    9/29/2007 2:52pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is the second report of Bullshido we've had from Israel. The first was this classic thread, also known as "crouching Tiger, hidden rabbi"

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...t=hidden+rabbi

The standard approach in this situation, is attend his class, take notes, politely ask him about the history of his art. Then write a review which you post on this thread.

Getting some sexy IDF chicks to post here would also be appreciated. :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/29/2007 3:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Abir offers free starter lessons, I will check them out. As far as the RyuKyu guys, the charge $150US for five "free" lessons(the money supposedly covers the magic fancy pants, t-shirt, belt, and gym bag), pretty expensive. Frankly I'm not shelling out $150 for in intro to anything. My theory if they want your money and you to sign a contract before they will even let you sit in... something is very wrong.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast