Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/28/2007 12:03am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

This just makes me sad: Hwang's Martial Arts KY,ID,TN,NM...an Olympic silver medalist

This school has an instructor that was a silver meadalist in the 84 Olympics in judo and I've verified it by looking it up. The school is right down from where I live but I don't think that the guy really teaches judo anymore from what I've heard. I wish he did teach full time judo classes because I would be there all the time, but it looks like he's more into the buisness side of martial arts and making money. Here's the link to his site http://www.hwangsmartialarts.com/introvideo.htm

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/28/2007 12:27am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Researching

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    An 8 year old black belt.

Beware.

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    9/28/2007 12:52am

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's harder to get other people to work hard at something as difficult as fighting than it is to motivate yourself.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/28/2007 1:00am

Style: Baboo Baby

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    8 year old black belt isn't so bad. I've met a couple that age who were quite skilled. Of course this is in a system where the instructor figured I was a brown belt in grappling (I never bothered officially grading), and at most I'm blue belt level by BJJ standards. So, where black belt = BJJ blue belt in grappling, and something similar in striking, that's not so bad.

The big problem I saw from watching the video was when the kid was being thrown he was just lying there and laughing. Nothing about balling up and protecting yourself. A lot of the clips also gave me the impression that they were just doing choreographed moves, and I saw no sparring or competition going on. It seemed to be entirely a demonstration sport.

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    9/28/2007 3:07am

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hwang's ?

hahahaha .

Yeah I am familiar with them and him . I used to take Hapkido at the Paducah location . Honestly , the guys I met from Louisville ... were a damn joke . Nothing but lite contact and resistance free training from the L-ville schools .

If you search around here on Bullshido you will find a couple threads about the schools and some really funny comments and threats from some of the instructors .

The Paducah school used be ok ... but then one of the instructors wanted to buy the school here in town , but Hwang was not having it . Not only would it cut into his easy money , but the instructor was hardcore into conditioning , sparring and randori . Which are three things you will not find at a Hwangs Martial Arts school .

I hear that that instructor ( Ray ?Watkins? ) is now teaching at an excellent and small Judo club somewhere in western Tennessee .

You can still get some pretty damn decent TKD for kids here in the P-town school with the Instructor that is left ( Jason ummm ... something or other ) but that is about it outside of good Cardio workouts . You may not even get those in L-ville .

Hey GM Hwang

* wave * don't shoot me .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    9/28/2007 3:20am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by migo
    The big problem I saw from watching the video was when the kid was being thrown he was just lying there and laughing. Nothing about balling up and protecting yourself. A lot of the clips also gave me the impression that they were just doing choreographed moves, and I saw no sparring or competition going on. It seemed to be entirely a demonstration sport.
    I was asked not to go and compete in the big "International Tournaments" Hwang's holds because I would just get disqualified for excessive contact . This was promised to me by an unnamed instructor , and verified by the assistant instructors .

I saw the vids from that year and they were right , my light contact would have been considered "excessive". Any of you who have sparred me at that level are laughing right now , and rightly so .
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/28/2007 4:23am

Style: Baboo Baby

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wait, you'd get dqed for competing in an inhouse tournament using excessive contact? How did you end up being trained to hit that hard (light) if that's the case?

Also, what's the deal with the unnamed instructor? You can't remember his name, he never gave it, he has no name or you don't want to say his name?

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    9/28/2007 5:01am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by migo
    Wait, you'd get dqed for competing in an inhouse tournament using excessive contact? How did you end up being trained to hit that hard (light) if that's the case?
    I have had previous training and been scrapping a lot as a kid/teen/young adult and they did things a little different out here in the boonies away from the the eyes of the GM Hwang . Which is why we lost my favorite instructor .

Hell we had a 85 lbs female black belt who was used to throwing against resistance with us ... she supposedly broke ( they had to sit down and stop ) three of the Louisville black belts in a row because they couldn't or didn't breakfall properly during her 2nd degree black test .
    Also, what's the deal with the unnamed instructor? You can't remember his name, he never gave it, he has no name or you don't want to say his name?
    I am not going to say of course . I happen to respect the instructors and the assistant instructors involved a great deal . Enough to not want to cause problems for them if they happen to still be involved with the Org.

Are you in Kentucky ? If so why haven't we seen you at the throwdowns ?
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/28/2007 7:32am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tae Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I also see numerous references to him as Grandmaster. From his own website he appears to be teaching WTF Tae Kwon Do (or some watered down version of the same) and openly states that he is sixth Dan. In WTF this is a master rank. GM starts as 7th Dan.

I realize he claims 7th Dan in HKD but this does not make him a GM in TKD. His Site says they teach TKD. It says nothing about teaching HKD or Judo as a separate style. Also not WTF, ITF, USATaekwondo or World Ki Do He (SP?) affiliations are claimed on his website. I realize that the site is still under development but were it me, I would stress these associations in my marketing from the start.

How does he teach regularly at 8 schools in 2 states? If I'm paying for a Master or GM, then I want to be trained by one directly.

The site has all the earmarks of a franchising exercise in it's infancy. This appears to be the new ATA.

While there are good Tae Kwon Do programs out there, this isn't one and McDoJahngs like this taint the style as a whole.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/28/2007 7:35am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been training in bjj for 2 1/2 years, but I never knew about any throwdowns in Kentucky.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast