Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/28/2007 8:13am

Style: EC, BJJ n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    2. Respect: No hot heads. I don't want to join a group of self-cultivated egos. I'm primarily there to learn, not to be shown what I can't do (verbally, physically, or emotionally).
    This depends if on the new guy sometimes. If the new person comes correct and with respect its cool. If he acts like thinks everyone there is his bitch and his going to boast about kicking the senior grades asses later...then you may have to show him what time it is...so to speak :P

If the guy is cool and you kick his ass then I agree thats just wrong.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/28/2007 9:28am

Style: tkd, kickboxing, bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To the OP: Looking for a cool atmosphere or looking at the attitudes of the senior students is a good indicator of a good school. If you want to get good you wil need to train a lot and hence are gona be spending a lot of time at the school(s) it probably should be a cool place.

Also, along the lines of attitude from senior people, rom what I have seen at the schools I train at now, it is usually the new people who have the attitudes and the senior guys who are cool. At the BJJ schol I train at everyone of the guys who have been there a while wants to help each other. Same with the kickboxing school. I have also noticed at the BS schools I have checked out that the senior people are more aloof, almost like the thought they were above the junior people. One thing of note, at the schools I am at now the many of the senior guys have fight records where as thr BS schools were headed by guys with no record. If you never try you never loose so you remain undefeatd.

I don't know if this is because both of the schools I am now are "sport" MAs and hence there is almost a team atmosphere or what but the guys I train with now are what keep me going during some of those days when it is hard to keep training.

So to bring that all together, to the OP: I don' think what you said was dumb at all.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    9/28/2007 10:44am

Business Class Supporting Member
     New York MMA Examiner Style: magic FUCKING powers!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JKDChick
    I'm a romantic. I quoted Shakespeare.
    Therefore, since brevity is the soul of wit, And tediousness the limbs and outward flourishes, I will be brief. **** you.

Yeah, Shakespeare. That's tacky.

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    9/28/2007 2:17pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it was "Oh, what fools these mortals be."
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    9/28/2007 2:18pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Virus
    Many styles that claim older lineages are actually full of ****. This is the case with most "jujitsu" schools in the west. Real koryu jujitsu is difficult to find outside of Japan as licenses are not just handed out to anyone, especially people that haven't spent at least ten years in Japan and leant to speak the language.
    And those of us who haven't LEANT english should?
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/28/2007 3:59pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Researching

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmm, you say in question 1 that you want something that is effective and that you don't want to be left thinking "I hope this works", but then you later say "I feel that, however impractical, a certain level of respect must be maintained for the history of the art." So is history of effectiveness more important? The thing is, in the West a lot of "traditional" styles are not very honest about their history. Many styles considered "traditional" are really only less than 100 years old.

Many styles that claim older lineages are actually full of ****. This is the case with most "jujitsu" schools in the west. Real koryu jujitsu is difficult to find outside of Japan as licenses are not just handed out to anyone, especially people that haven't spent at least ten years in Japan and leant to speak the language.
    Good point.

Thanks for the input guys.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/28/2007 4:32pm

Style: FMA, MT & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    About tradition:
    Most TMA today were created by people who fought (I'm not talking about the modern penomenon of making up a style from scratch), this was of course in the good old day where schools fought or ran each other out of town. If you couldn't fight you dissappeared, so those TMA we have come from people who fought to preserve their school.

Therefore; if you bow to an altar with pictures of dead masters and then never fight or spar, you might as well spit on the altar for all the respect you're giving the "ancestors"

Posted On:
    9/28/2007 4:58pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nifoc
    About tradition:
    Most TMA today were created by people who fought
    How do we know this?

Infidel

Posted On:
    9/28/2007 6:01pm

Style: Yoshinkan Aikido, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's all ettiquette and respect.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/29/2007 2:37am

Style: FMA, MT & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree, we don't KNOW this. However it would seem logical considering the outside preasure testing that MA schools had to face.

And, yes, we don't know for a fact that the social climate was such that schools regularly confronted each other. However that is part of the "tradition" of most styles. It doesn't change the fact that if you tell tales of previous masters using said style to kick serious ass, then you're kind of obliged to train for the same.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast