Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/27/2007 9:31pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Arms, Legs, and Body

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just for the record, I believe SWAT stands for Special Winning Attitude Team. My old school had one. We got a sweet patch to put on our uniform, next to the American Flag patch, the Competition Team patch, the Black Belt Club patch, the random dragon encircling a Yin-Yang patch, and the school patch.

The SWAT team was reserved for the deadliest of the deadly! They could Ki-hap like no other!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2007 10:07pm

Style: No-Gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by zanaffar
    Just for the record, I believe SWAT stands for Special Winning Attitude Team. My old school had one. We got a sweet patch to put on our uniform, next to the American Flag patch, the Competition Team patch, the Black Belt Club patch, the random dragon encircling a Yin-Yang patch, and the school patch.

The SWAT team was reserved for the deadliest of the deadly! They could Ki-hap like no other!
    Well we had a blackbelt club where you could sew on your "merit patches" (guess where they got the idea from) for all of the club activities you completed. Along with SWAT which was only for if you made good grades in school, AND we had the full splits club. Tell me that's not the sweetest thing EVER.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2007 10:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh my god.

I'm in shock.

I just found that my McDojo when I was little has moved to Tampa. SIDEKICKS under the links there.... Yeah... Them....

Jesus. I'm.... Just. Wow. I feel like a thousand different memories come rushing back, and I see those faces of the men who trained me. It's weird to think that you all look down on them, but when I was six, they were something to look up to. Jesus that scared me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/28/2007 12:20am

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sum Gai
    Well, I'm in the area so holler if you do decide to look around. Whatever you're looking for I can probably point you in the right direction.
    I have been looking around to see what I would have available when I'm situated. I haven't really found anything with my Googlefu or Mapquest searches, but it's pretty obvious I need to actually go to these places to check them out. Either way, I wouldn't mind having some school names/instructors throw at me to keep for future reference.

Quote Originally Posted by zanaffar

All we received was a Kung Fu uniform. Our gis had three patches, two on the shoulders (one of the South Korean flag and the other of the United States flag) and one near the left lapel (Choong Sil Taekwondo Federation patch). On the back of the gi was the schools logo. We also received red and gold stars to place on the lapel around the neck, but I forget what you need to do to earn them.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril
    Well we had a blackbelt club where you could sew on your "merit patches" (guess where they got the idea from) for all of the club activities you completed. Along with SWAT which was only for if you made good grades in school, AND we had the full splits club. Tell me that's not the sweetest thing EVER.
    That's interesting, Taekwondo Boy Scouts.

Oh my god.

I'm in shock.

I just found that my McDojo when I was little has moved to Tampa. SIDEKICKS under the links there.... Yeah... Them....

Jesus. I'm.... Just. Wow. I feel like a thousand different memories come rushing back, and I see those faces of the men who trained me. It's weird to think that you all look down on them, but when I was six, they were something to look up to. Jesus that scared me.
    I know how you feel. Ever since I left my school and learned everything I know now about the Martial Arts and bullshido, I can't keep myself from looking down upon those I trained with, let alone my instructors. I really don't mean to, but it's tough since you know more now than you did back then.

Posted On:
    9/28/2007 8:55am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: CMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You have to look at these places in the context of what they offer and what you are looking to get out of the training. Those places are just kiddie country clubs and are geared towards building self-esteem and other positive qualities in kids.

If a teen or adult wants to learn to get down and dirty in a fight you want a place that doesn't spend time on patches and report cards.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/28/2007 11:22am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You have to look at these places in the context of what they offer and what you are looking to get out of the training. Those places are just kiddie country clubs and are geared towards building self-esteem and other positive qualities in kids.

If a teen or adult wants to learn to get down and dirty in a fight you want a place that doesn't spend time on patches and report cards.
    The only places I could find on Google and Mapquest were geared towards kids. I did find a school that taught Wah Lum Kung Fu, and it seemed pretty serious. The self defense aspect of the school teaches "blocks, holds, throws, sweeps, kicks and take-downs". However, I have a feeling it isn't a cheap place to train at. Here's the site - http://www.wahlum.com/sifugeorgekee/school.html

Other than that school, I haven't been able to find any others.

Posted On:
    9/28/2007 1:22pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: CMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know him and no, it isn't cheap. I don't know about prices but there more Kung Fu as well as some MMA type schools in the area.

I don't mean to dis Karate but they seem to mostly center around kids and non fight related aspects of the martial arts. There are a few of those in the area.

Where exactly do you live and what are you looking for, tradition, health, fighting?

Unfortunatetly another friend just closed his school in Longwood. He was teaching Shaolin but I saw he integrated a lot of boxing drills and other stuff into it.

If you like modern wushu there's Lo Lei in Winter Springs on 434. There was a Shaolin Do school (in Longwood at a gym last I heard) if you want to learn everything.

Then there's Kokopelli's in Longwood which is MMA type training and another MMA school in Lake Mary but I don't know him at all. Been meaning to stop by there and see what's up.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/28/2007 3:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know him and no, it isn't cheap. I don't know about prices but there more Kung Fu as well as some MMA type schools in the area.

I don't mean to dis Karate but they seem to mostly center around kids and non fight related aspects of the martial arts. There are a few of those in the area.

Where exactly do you live and what are you looking for, tradition, health, fighting?

Unfortunatetly another friend just closed his school in Longwood. He was teaching Shaolin but I saw he integrated a lot of boxing drills and other stuff into it.

If you like modern wushu there's Lo Lei in Winter Springs on 434. There was a Shaolin Do school (in Longwood at a gym last I heard) if you want to learn everything.

Then there's Kokopelli's in Longwood which is MMA type training and another MMA school in Lake Mary but I don't know him at all. Been meaning to stop by there and see what's up.
    I live in Altamonte Springs and I have no idea what I'm looking for.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/28/2007 3:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MastaFighta
    I live in Altamonte Springs and I have no idea what I'm looking for.
    Then let's find out!

Do you want competition? There's MMA, Judo, Boxing/kickboxing, BJJ, WTF TKD for that.

Do you want striking training? Muay Thai, Kyokushin, Kickboxing are good for that, and they'll certainly be easier to find a good school in than TKD, Shotokan, or Kung Fu.

Do you want grappling? Judo, BJJ, Greco/catch/mongolian wrestling, etc are to look for.

Do you want tradition? Wing Chun. That's all the martial art is. Or tai-chi. So long as you don't think you're getting a martial art out of it, it's easy to find tradition in these.

Exercise? Any of the above except for the traditional ones. They generally tend to not focus on keeping in shape, which is important. If you want competition, you'll get the best benefit out of martial arts, and be on the cutting edge of the evolution of fighting. Do suggest.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/28/2007 9:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Then let's find out!

Do you want competition? There's MMA, Judo, Boxing/kickboxing, BJJ, WTF TKD for that.

Do you want striking training? Muay Thai, Kyokushin, Kickboxing are good for that, and they'll certainly be easier to find a good school in than TKD, Shotokan, or Kung Fu.

Do you want grappling? Judo, BJJ, Greco/catch/mongolian wrestling, etc are to look for.

Do you want tradition? Wing Chun. That's all the martial art is. Or tai-chi. So long as you don't think you're getting a martial art out of it, it's easy to find tradition in these.

Exercise? Any of the above except for the traditional ones. They generally tend to not focus on keeping in shape, which is important. If you want competition, you'll get the best benefit out of martial arts, and be on the cutting edge of the evolution of fighting. Do suggest.
    I still don't know what I'm looking for in particular. Which is why I want to see what I have available in my area for me to decide what I want to do.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast