Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/31/2007 4:51am

Style: none currently, ex-TSK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Olorin
    If you find a school that spars hard and trains hard it is probably a decent place to train.

This is THE most important advice in this thread. Also, check the instructor's view on cross-training and I don't mean if he'll teach you another style. Bullshit artists will fear someone shining the light of reality on them.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/31/2007 4:53am

Style: Not Currently Training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Someone should write an article addressing this issue.

*looks around, listens to crickets chirping*

Oh, okay, I'll see what I can do...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/16/2007 8:30am

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by golsa
    Best tip I can offer applies to pretty much every facet of human competency:

if they think they're perfect, they're incompetent.
    if they will openly talk about mistakes (own up to, what they could have done different, etc), they've made they're competent.

Thus, Ashida Kim thinks he is super mega ultra grandmaster ninja because he isn't capiable of the most basic self-insight, while someone that has truely mastered their art doesn't even know it because they are still trying to be more honest with themself and improve.

Feel free to apply this to MA instructors, sparring partners, potential girlfriends, people you hire, etc!
    Agreed. This applies to everything in life, not just the MA. It's important to know that you make mistakes and can admit it when need be.

I've been in the martial arts for almost 10 years now. I will admit no expert or perfect in any thing. I still have a lot of learn and improve apon. For example, I'm really good with my right side techniques, but my left side techniques need a lot fo work on just to be as good as my right side, so when I start my training again, I'm going to start training my left side more than I did before to improve my left side techniques.

Finding the right school can be tough. Sometimes you don't always find it at first. The first school I was at was a McDojang which I more or less come to realize after I had left there. I knew of some other schools by doing my research at the time, emailing the school, asking questions, visiting their website if they had one. After I had left I took a break from the MA training so I could focus on my education and try to improve me grades because I was getting closer to graduating and wanted to have decent grades.

For a while during that time off I kinda fell into a dark time for a bit and after seeking professional help I decided to start training again.

There was a school that I was interested in that was close my house. They had a few kickboxing shows that I went to and I enjoyed them and decided I wanted to go there. After being out of the MA for 4 months I made my return at the school I had visited and they have helped me a lot.

So as you can see from my example, you don't always find the right school at first. Sometimes you just have to keep putting your hand in the cookie jar until you get the right one.

Posted On:
    3/20/2008 10:32pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: unknown

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Persnickity Cat: where do you practice tai chi now? How do you know that its for real after CSMA? Thanks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/21/2008 6:40am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lineage is not important?????? WTF?

Maybe that's true in an art like judo or karate or aikido or boxing which is very spread through the world and where there are lots of places it could be learned.
    In cases like that then the school is probably genuine and so "lineage" simply means where the teacher sits in the overall hierarchy. I agree that it's inconsequential.

But if it's something else then how do you know you are even doing the genuine art in the first place? Without lineage, how do you know the guy hasn't just made up his own crap?

Think about BJJ. Today it is quite widespread and chances are that if you find a club, it will be genuine and that you will be learning what you expect. But think back only 15 years ago, when there was very little BJJ training available. Without lineage, how would you know that you were learning real BJJ and not some stuff the teacher made up from watching the first UFC?

So I would say that lineage in BJJ is probably not terribly important now, but 15 years ago it would have been terribly important (outside of Brazil anyway).

When people say that "lineage is not important" then they are taking for granted that the teacher is genuine in the first place.

Posted On:
    3/21/2008 4:02pm

Style: Mixed-Up Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To me if their self-defense techniques start with attacker doing a lunge puch and holding hand out and defender doing all kinds a ****, that is BS....

Posted On:
    4/01/2008 11:04pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would prefer not to mention my teacher's name. Thank you. I will say she is based out of the Royal Oak area, and is a genuine part of and very connected to the Yang family lineage as it stands today. I respect her deeply and do not want her mentioned in this forum.

How can one tell if a "tai chi" teacher is teaching real stuff? Do your research and find out what real tai chi practice entails -- the form that socma teaches and that teacher's philosophy regarding tai chi leaves out crucial elements that make up a legitmate form.

Lesson to anyone in any art in any practice -- do your HOMEWORK and find out what's real. Don't just buy into what the instructor or his/her spin masters say.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123