Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/27/2007 9:18pm

Style: crapp-lawl-ing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As a former BB TKDer and one that has studied at two schools as well as sparred at more than a dozen, I've more or less seen the full spectrum of TKD that has been discussed in this and another million dead-horse threads.
    My personal experience was, I used to be chubby early on in high school, and the school I ended up in absolutely refused to give me a black belt until I was athletic enough to take on anyone from the adult class in full-contact sparring (Not win against, but hold my own). Although I still don't respect most Tae kwon do practitioners, my road through the art allows me to not hate the sport completely. That and the fact that I'm Korean, and have seen my uncles kick ass with TKD when I was a young boy in Seoul.
    With a bitter taste in my mouth, I've recommended neighborhood pre-teens interested in MA to go ahead and do TKD or Karate, but under the condition that they promise me that they'll look into other arts like Judo, Muay Thai, Kali, JKD, and BJJ when they get older, and their bodies can take it. I honestly believe that having done TKD earlier in my life made learning the other things that have taken over it so much easier.

meh, just my take.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2007 9:38pm

Style: karate,judo,JJ,Aikido,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ysc87
    I honestly believe that having done TKD earlier in my life made learning the other things that have taken over it so much easier.

meh, just my take.

Very true...even though TKD has some crazy kicks it does allow one to be able to control their body much better than if they start off in a grappling art or such.

You do need a high degree of flexibility to do alot of the kicks, good endurance and stamina and so on.

So I agree with the earlier post that while not completly practical it may be a good place to start just to get in tune with your body.

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    9/27/2007 9:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jtkarate
    Very true...even though TKD has some crazy kicks it does allow one to be able to control their body much better than if they start off in a grappling art or such.

You do need a high degree of flexibility to do alot of the kicks, good endurance and stamina and so on.

So I agree with the earlier post that while not completly practical it may be a good place to start just to get in tune with your body.
    I disagree completely , if you are looking for body awareness ,general fitness , and endurance . I say , shoot for some BJJ , gymnastics , or ballet .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2007 9:47pm

Style: Savate, Combatives(BJJ)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually found what seems to be a TKDer doing quite well against a MT guy
    Might be a repost

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2w...y-thai_extreme

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2007 10:05pm

Style: Tae Kwon Do(GTF now)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon
    Chi: Though being trained to fight with your hands at your sides/ on your hips is a singularly suicidal type of stupidity....
    what do you expect for a tkd fighter to do,a double palm block?or some snake guard like in the 70's kung fu movies?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2007 10:26pm

Style: sadness and tears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RegularJoe
    Actually found what seems to be a TKDer doing quite well against a MT guy
    Might be a repost

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2w...y-thai_extreme

That was some pretty crappy MT......

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/28/2007 12:13am

Style: Hiatus for Gen. Fitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Keeping hands down at the waist is entirely a product of competition training (or training under those who only ever trained for competition). Training for TKD competitions is not training to fight, it is learning to play an amalgamation of chicken and tag. That's not to say that it is easy, by any means.

The big problem is that most people seem to think that competitive point-sparring is what TKD is all about. That's like saying skeet shooting is what shotguns are all about. Between crappy schools (mass popularity + no standard FC TKD competitions = alot of crap) and point sparring, it is understandable that TKD in general gets a bad rap--but it would be more beneficial to enlighten people as to what they need to look for to know whether a given TKD school (which is pretty much the same criteria for any striking art) is good, rather than write the whole style off as crap. Of course, my style field makes me slightly biased in this regard.

Posted On:
    9/28/2007 12:23am

Style: crapp-lawl-ing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    but it would be more beneficial to enlighten people as to what they need to look for to know whether a given TKD school (which is pretty much the same criteria for any striking art) is good, rather than write the whole style off as crap.
    Agreed. Granted, a well-explained pros/cons would be necessary as well, because if experience has shown us anything, it's that some styles just really suck at handling certain things, regardless of the level of competency.

(Isn't there a half-assed list of arts that they've been doing what we've just described? Maybe the .com... *runs and checks*)

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/28/2007 12:25am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    my opinion about tkd is that its a SPORT, thats y its in the olympics. however i do believe TKD has its own special values, because it is a MARTIAL art. it has its applications in real fighting. although not the best technique it could be combined with other styles to make it better. As for self defence, sparring and self defence is not the same thing, so how much self defence u learn basicly depends on what the masters and instructers teaches u, if they focus more on traditional tkd then thats what u kno, but if they focus on self defence techniques then self defence is what u kno...

in the end its the better fighter that wins, not the better style:ninjadanc
    Last edited by xxmarkpark; 9/28/2007 12:30am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/28/2007 1:17am

Style: WTF TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Find a good school, what Kintanon said. Found some vids of WTF TKD. yeah...sporty, but Id like to get to this level some day.

This one gets exciting at ~5min

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L32ViJvF1cw

edit -- couldn't get first vid to work, so took it down.
    Last edited by knutorious; 9/28/2007 1:24am at .
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast