Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2007 1:00pm

Style: Savate, Combatives(BJJ)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

TaeKownDo: My opinion

I recently went to a local TaeKwonDo competetion at a rec center not far from here, just out of curiosity, I had seen the flyers around post and decided to go check it out.

Now, I dident know anything about TKD except..well except what I had seen on here, really, which had led me to beleive that it was a worthless system of petty kicks.
    Well, I'll have to say I was surprised..I respect skill and talent where I see it, and while those flashy kicks might not work in a barfight or in the cage, their ability to control themselves while seemingly in midair, and the speed at which they kick, I've got to admire the talent and work it takes to be able to do that. And this was just a local competetion, I'm probably going to youtube some of the better exibitions and such, just out of curiosity.

So my verdict: While maybe not the most practical of MAs, it certainly seems to take a lot of work, training, and time to do what some of these guys do, and as an athlete myself I've got respect for hard work across the board, no matter who you are.

So, that's my opinion, blast away ;)

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    9/27/2007 2:08pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's absolutely true that a lot of that stuff takes amazing athletic ability. So does gymnastics. They both have approximately the same level of application to actual fighting.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2007 3:50pm

Style: Poor mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What Kintanon said, except that TKD can make you worse at fighting than no training at all. Actually, gymnastics will improve your physicality more than TKD, so it's probably better for fighting.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    9/27/2007 3:56pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Chi: The flip side of that is that you might stumble into a decent TKD school and actually improve your ability to fight. So I think the overall affect is a neutral one. Though being trained to fight with your hands at your sides/ on your hips is a singularly suicidal type of stupidity....

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/27/2007 4:04pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fighting with your hands at your side was a luxury given only to black belts at my old school, who could be expected to see a head kick coming a mile away. Not that that excuses the practice or anything.

Nice to see TKD people taken seriously as atheletes, if not as fighters. It's a real Olympic sport! Like pistol shooting and water dancing! I kid, but I was in great shape when I competed.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2007 4:13pm

Style: BJJ - SBGi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have always considered TKD to be a great "sport". That said, unless you are training it in an alive manner, with some kind of cross training in striking..... its only half the equation.

poser

Posted On:
    9/27/2007 4:44pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chizilds
    I have always considered TKD to be a great "sport". That said, unless you are training it in an alive manner, with some kind of cross training in striking..... its only half the equation.
    Good summary.

Posted On:
    9/27/2007 6:48pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i know a lot of us TKD groups are pretty bad but i train at a do jang in scotland and i'd have to say that its pretty good. i'd say we are taught how to fight pretty well. ever stance involves having your guard up, blocking and hand strikes are encouraged and the only kicks our instrctor prefers to see are basic effective kicks like round house or side.
    although i guess its the instrctor that dictates how good your teaching is im glad to have who i have, we're taught to fight with effective not flashy moves

sorry if that reads like a pile of crap but its 1 am and im not proof reading that

poser

Posted On:
    9/27/2007 7:52pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you guys spar?

If you don't, you're not learning how to fight.

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    9/27/2007 8:33pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had a cousin who did TKD, but the sparring in his school was pretty much like FC kickboxing. He hit pretty damn hard and fast as I recall. There's also a local TKD instructor in my hometown who has competed successfully in MMA (not sure whether it was amateur or semi-pro or what).
    With there being half a dozen taekwondo schools in every city in America, it's inevitable thata few of them are good.
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast