Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/26/2007 8:47pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: bjj, sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

University of Missouri - St. Louis BJJ Club

Any of you guys ever heard of a Dan Donahue? He's the president of the UMSL bjj club & is supposedly a purple belt. I asked him, via internet, where/ who he trained with; he said he'd gotten his training in the midwest and CA, he didn't say whether or not he was affiliated w/ the Gracies/ Machados.

Not saying he's not legit, I'd just like to know a little more about his background. Tell me what you know.

Yoshida

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    9/26/2007 11:50pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by yoshida
    Any of you guys ever heard of a Dan Donahue? He's the president of the UMSL bjj club & is supposedly a purple belt. I asked him, via internet, where/ who he trained with; he said he'd gotten his training in the midwest and CA, he didn't say whether or not he was affiliated w/ the Gracies/ Machados.

Not saying he's not legit, I'd just like to know a little more about his background. Tell me what you know.

Yoshida
    Does he and/or the club have a website that we may partake in?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/27/2007 7:50am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No dude, everything's word of mouth. That's why I'm slightly skeptical.

Posted On:
    9/27/2007 7:57am

Style: BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    nyu's BJJ club was mostly by word of mouth and the founder/teacher was a legit assed purple under Dave Ginsberg, a pan american champ.

go and check it out, roll with him and then ask him who he got his belt under.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/27/2007 2:45pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Right on man.

Rowsdower!

Posted On:
    9/27/2007 3:04pm

Join us... or die
     Style: On Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dave Ginsberg wasn't just legit... but legit-assed?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2007 3:10pm

Style: GJJ, Judo, Krav Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My google-fu brought this up from 2005:

http://media.www.thecurrentonline.co...o-863601.shtml

"UM-St. Louis now recognizes the Jujitsu club on campus. The Jujitsu club, which holds practice sessions on Saturdays at 10 a.m. in the Mark Twain Athletic Building, is led by 21-year-old Dan Donahue, a Public Policy major.

Donahue, who has studied Aikido, Kung Fu and Karate, said that his purple belt in Jujitsu qualifies him to lead the group."

There is also a Dan Donahue out of PA who is a Royler Blue belt but I don't think this is the same guy.

Sojobow follows a PROVEN FRAUD

Posted On:
    9/28/2007 1:31am

Style: Dux Ryu Ninjitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quite a few of these University Clubs are taught by Students of the University that have some experience with the arts. It a good way for students to have a place to work out together on campus. Some are taught by a Professor at the University with experience in the particular art and will teach for free. Great way for students now away from home to meet others from different parts of the Country with similar interest. Since the first preference is the student's education, the Clubs are built around the Academic sessions.
    There are "The Karate Club"; "The Kendo Club"; "The Jujitsu Club"; "The BJJ Club".

It isn't quite clear here, but anyone familiar with a College Clubs knows that the President of the Club has to be a current student. (Pres., Vice Pres, Secretary, etc). For the Club to be "recognized" by the University, it must have a certain number of members, be sponsored by a University Employee (signator) etc. The University does not concern itself with the lineage of the President or any student for that matter, only that the President be a current student. The actual Instructor and the President are usually two different people.

Recognition is for the purpose of gaining University funds to buy equipement etc and to use the University Facilities. Recognition by the University is not based upon any type of Lineage of the Students. The President can be a Whitebelt.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/02/2007 3:16pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All this said, I do want to make it clear that I wasn't trying to slur the reputation of this club or its instructor.

Posted On:
    10/21/2007 3:55pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: JKD & Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with vinhthekid, you should try it out. Anyone that has a purple belt in BJJ spent at least 4-5+ years of serious grappling training to get it - and if this is not the case it will be obvious when he teaches class! BJJ focuses on what works and a lot of competitive grappling. Someone with a purple belt will have to be good enough to beat others at their rank to have moved up in the first place. I know when I first started BJJ a year ago, even though I outweighed my purple belt instructor, he could dominate through all the years experience, superior leverage/technique. If he has less than glowing credentials then it will show when you roll!

There is a parable where people argue about how many teeth a horse has for 13 days and a newcomer came up and told them to open the horse's mouth and count them. They beat him about the head and, tossed him out of the group, and continued with their debate.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast