9/26/2007 5:20pm

Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Taylor vs. Pavlik anyone?

I know that this should probably be in iCompete, but since:

1) no one on here is that huge a fan of the sport
    2) it is strictly a striking match

...so I figured I could turn it into a thread in Strikiestan. How much do you all figure Pavlik's aggression and punching power will play in this match? How about any match? And with that said, what do you think Taylor's best option is for the fight? Or, any fight where one person has such an edge in power and aggression.

I've often heard it said that the best way to out fight a puncher is to box them. This may well be true. However, I think there is something to be said for trying to trade with them every once in a while because it seems like power punchers often aren't accustomed to having that kind of aggression turned back on them. In Pavlik's last fight for instance, he took on Edison Miranda who is an aggressive, hard hitting puncher that is used to backing his opponents up. Pavlik overwhelmed him and you could see Miranda being confused by the turn of events.

Of course, Jermain Taylor doesn't really have that kind of aggressive style, but I think it would be a mistake for him to just try and out point Pavlik by out-boxing him.

Submitting 1d6 Investigators per round

Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    9/26/2007 9:41pm

supporting member
     Style: ZHOO ZHITSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by theword
    I know that this should probably be in iCompete, but since:

1) no one on here is that huge a fan of the sport
    I am!

...so I figured I could turn it into a thread in Strikiestan. How much do you all figure Pavlik's aggression and punching power will play in this match?
    Cory Spinks hit Taylor repeatedly while running away, Nard hit him a bunch but couldn't match his workrate and got edged out, and Winky lumped him up despite taking entire rounds off. Pavlik isn't going to fight as sparingly as Nard was during the period when he fought Winky, and unlike Spinks and Wink he has punching power, which makes him in my judgement a favorable matchup against JT, despite the fact that he hasn't really faced anywhere near the competition level. Taylor is not particularly elusive, his hands drop often and he has a tendency to back straight up and lay on the ropes, all of which are going to spell trouble against a hard puncher with a come-forward style, which is exactly what Pavlik is.

On the other hand, the times Taylor has looked bad have been against guys who box with him and defend well; someone who comes straight forward like Pavlik allows him to not worry about chasing and bring his (decent) power and (good) hand speed into play.

There are definitely arguments to be made for both sides, but I think that Pavlik is going to expose Taylor's lack of fundamentals, despite not being able to match JT's physical gifts.
    Undisputed KING OF ASSHOLES.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    9/28/2007 1:20am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fatherdog
    the fact that he (Pavlik) hasn't really faced anywhere near the competition level (of Taylor).
    See, I think this is the biggest factor. I like watching Pavlik ever since I saw him a couple of years ago on ESPN. I think he's exciting, has a decent chin and can really bang, but I'm fairly certain that he has been protected (with a few exceptions). Honestly, I hope he wins because Taylor's last couple of performances have left me questioning his drive, like the way he could hardly trouble and undersized Spinks and Winky.

Still, Spinks was a title holder and Winky was as well, and who the hell has Pavlik fought other then Miranda? My hearts going with Pavlik, my brain says Taylor. Either way I'm just glad to be excited about a boxing match again that has some intriguing stylistic match-ups, excluding Marquez vs. Vasquez which I thought was great.

Submitting 1d6 Investigators per round

Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    9/28/2007 9:28am

supporting member
     Style: ZHOO ZHITSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by theword
    Still, Spinks was a title holder
    ...at welterweight, over 13 pounds below the weight he fought Taylor at.

and who the hell has Pavlik fought other then Miranda?
    Zertuche was actually considered an up and coming possible star when Pavlik became the first guy to stop him. But overall, yeah, like I said, Pavlik hasn't fought the same level of competition. We'll see if he can step it up. I think he will, personally.
    Undisputed KING OF ASSHOLES.

and good morning to you too

Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    9/28/2007 10:10am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Ring has Taylor with an edge and winning by late stoppage or decision. I don't know that I agree, but it should be a great match.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    9/30/2007 12:16am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *Spoilers*

Good fight all around. In the second when JT knocked Pavlik down I was screaming at the TV for him to get up and just make it out of the round at least. But damn, that straight right hand of Pavlik kept on finding a home and knocked out JT in the seventh. The first three rounds were a lot of fun and the rest were very entertaining, great fight from both guys.

edited for:

As a funny side note, during the break between the Estrada vs. Berto undercard HBO did a little back story on both fighters. In the one about Pavlik his father was talking about how in the early 90's there was a rash of MA movies coming out and Kelly Pavlik wanted to start karate. They went to a dojo but according to Pavlik "there wasn't enough contact or fighting", so he started boxing. I guess bullshido doesn't work on everyone.
    Last edited by theword; 9/30/2007 12:26am at .