Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/26/2007 12:31pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Discussion on lowest risk/highest return MMA techniques: what are they?

alright, hopefully this will start some interesting discussion, if nothing else.

i'm interested in what everyone considers to be the "lowest risk, highest return" techniques for MMA. that means the techniques most likely to knock out, take down, pin or submit your opponent with minimal risk to the person performing the technique.

i gather that for a long time people said that high kicks had no place in MMA, because they were simply "too risky"---that is, they would leave you off-balance and more likely to be taken down. we know now that high kicks work just fine, although they might be relatively "high risk, high return".. since people get KTFOed by high kicks all the time, but beginners who haven't trained them thoroughly still might end up falling on their ass when they throw them.

so for the sake of discussion i'm gonna throw some ideas out there, and you guys can critique, insult, or add as you see fit:

Low risk/High return Striking:

1. Hand techniques. Your hands are the longest-ranged striking weapon you have that you don't need for anything else; i.e. legs are long, but you sacrifice stability to kick.
    2. Leg kicks. They hurt, are hard to grab, etc.

Low risk/High return Throws:

1. Greco-roman throws. You tie them up and throw the **** out of them, while removing their ability to hit you and remaining stable on two feet. Greco ftw.
    2. Double-leg takedown. Do it right and you take them down without getting kneed in the face, hooray.

Low risk/High return Submissions:

1. Anything where you remain on top of/pinning the guy as you submit him. Less chance of getting picked up/slammed, etc. GnP from mount, armbar from mount, americana from side control, blah blah.
    2. RNC/Anything else you apply from the guy's back. Duh?

so... what do you think? spinning back kicks for the win?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/26/2007 12:36pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Spinning back fist, maybe. Looks cool as hell, SPLAT! if it lands. (see: Shonie Carter, Henderson vs. Silva 2). I don't know about drawbacks, I have seen it miss/not land flush (Liddell/Jardine) without too much of a backfire. Has anyone ever seen someone get monumentally beat up after screwing up an SBF?

Hoo Ha!

Posted On:
    9/26/2007 1:01pm

supporting member
     Style: San Da, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Clinch is abit high risk high return I reckon as it can backfire. Reverse naked choke is pretty safe unless they slam your head into the ground...

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/26/2007 1:04pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Clinch is a range of fighting, not a specific fighting technique (3 ranges: Free moving, like boxing & kickboxing, Clinch, like Greco Roman clinch or Thai Clinch, and Ground phase) You might as well say striking is high risk return because you can hit the other guy but he can hit you. And what is this reverse naked choke? Do you mean the rear naked choke/mata leone or is this a different manuver?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/26/2007 3:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince Tortelli
    Spinning back fist, maybe. Looks cool as hell, SPLAT! if it lands. (see: Shonie Carter, Henderson vs. Silva 2). I don't know about drawbacks, I have seen it miss/not land flush (Liddell/Jardine) without too much of a backfire. Has anyone ever seen someone get monumentally beat up after screwing up an SBF?
    interesting. my MT instructor tells us that if we miss an elbow to keep spinning and throw a "spinning back elbow" so i imagine a spinning back fist would fit there nicely as well. anyway it couldn't hurt to incorporate into shadowboxing/sparring.. because, yeah, if it lands.. splat.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/26/2007 3:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PizDoff
    Maybe you should train some more striking.

Josh Thomson vs Yves Edwards.
    of course.. if your opponent is throwing a high kick, you should probably forget the spinning backfist and try to block/duck instead... yeah..

but see: the guy throwing the high kick falls on his ass, but knocks the other guy out cold.

high risk, high return. had he missed, he might've gotten GnPed..

and as for the SBF.. i was thinking it might be useful after you miss another strike, or as a combination-ender, but as for throwing it haphazardly.. that sounds like a really bad idea.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/26/2007 3:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jadonblade
    Clinch is abit high risk high return I reckon as it can backfire. Reverse naked choke is pretty safe unless they slam your head into the ground...
    gtfo of my thread.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/26/2007 3:38pm

Style: Tae Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by leere_form

1. Hand techniques. Your hands are the longest-ranged striking weapon you have that you don't need for anything else; i.e. legs are long, but you sacrifice stability to kick.
    What? You don't need your hands for anything else? How about protecting your face? so kicks are higher risk than punches because you need your legs to stand, but don't need your hands to defend your head?

Hoo Ha!

Posted On:
    9/26/2007 5:35pm

supporting member
     Style: San Da, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Biting - now theres a low risk high reward technique. Unless they have a disease of some sort.

Using Donkey Guard to Sniffz Your Feetz

Posted On:
    9/26/2007 5:58pm

Style: Kick Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Who ever suggested the SBF as a low risk/high reward move (vince) obviously hasn't tried it out, seen is used too many times or has witnessed the beating guys get from it. The SBF is best used, if ever, as a last ditch effort. Say when a guy ducks well to his left when you throw a right and tags you. The SBF is a highlight reel move and that's it.

My best suggestion for a low risk/high reward move is a 1-2-leg kick-1 combo. I know, I know... it is a bit of movement but. You are attacking on different levels, you force the guy into a defensive and at least 2 of your strikes should land enough to worry the other guy.
    Amateur MMA record: 8-3-1
    Pro MMA record: 3-1
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast