Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/24/2007 8:56pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai and BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

curbing that sweet tooth

Hey all, i've been eating pretty healthy for awhile now, but I keep getting huge cravings for sweets after most every meal. I will occasional opt for the diet soda when it gets too bad, but i'm wondering if anyone has anything that completely gets rid of the craving and still isn't terrible for you.

Weak

Posted On:
    9/24/2007 9:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: No longer training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some sweet substitutes:

1. I'll freeze chocolate soymilk in ice cube trays and just have one of those if I feel a craving

2. A small handful of dried fruit/nuts (I find one dried fig is enough to cut that sugar craving)

3. Fruit

4. Jello

The alternative is NOT to give into that craving daily otherwise it just becomes too much to handle.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2007 9:07pm

Style: .45ACP & Confusion

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fat free yogurt and fresh fruit.

poser

Posted On:
    9/24/2007 9:15pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you crave sweets, you're probably not drinking enough. It happens when your mouth gets dry. Strange but true. Drink more water. MILK, JUICE, AND OTHER BEVERAGES DO NOT COUNT AS WATER. DRINK FUCKING WATER.

If you eat enough healthy, balanced meals (4 small ones a day keep me feeling good and i get relatively little exercise) you should feel satisfied just about all the time, except when you wake up. Not full. Satisfied. Feeling full = eating too much at once. If you feel good, you're not going to want anything else to eat, let alone sugary shitty processed food-like products.

Self-discipline is also important when you're starting out. After a while eating well with good amounts of exercise, unhealthy food actually makes you feel physically bad (headaches, stomach aches, energy loss, digestive issues, etc.), so that's a deterrent, but getting started really just takes some willpower. Before long, you won't even want to eat that stuff anymore.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2007 10:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    kwoww,
    Good point, as usual.
    I have found that when I have sweet tooth it is because I have a caloric deficiency. Eat often through the day. I snack all day long: fruit, yogurt, soy, peanuts, lean lunch meat, whole wheat bread, etc.
    I rarely have a sweet tooth.
    Oh, stay away from diet soda-pop. It is fucking garbage, just look at the ingredients.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2007 10:53pm

Style: Wrestling, BJJ n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aw, man, ever since this Saturday, while I was on my Jew-fast, I've had this insatiable craving for a Snickers. I think I might just have to eat a Snickers pretty soon...

Just do what I always do, and fight it. Don't give in. If you're with other people, ask that they be respectful and not eat candy around you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2007 10:58pm

Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is just my personal experience, but if you are good at moderating yourself, a soda now and then is not going to hurt you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/25/2007 7:50am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by musicalmike235
    This is just my personal experience, but if you are good at moderating yourself, a soda now and then is not going to hurt you.

True, but I get the feeling that the OP is not good at moderating him/herself.
    It is not that I think an occasional soda-pop will kill you. I just gringe when I see what they put in it. Maybe that is more my own reluctance as opposed to actual fact?

UAAAH!

Posted On:
    9/25/2007 2:58pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You are probably eating something which your body is sensitive to which is making you crave. Try cutting different kinds of carbs out of your diet and see if the cravings disappear. It will take going cold turkey.
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/25/2007 3:17pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai and BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for all of the responses. I'm finding more than anything it's a craving for chocolate, so the chocolate soy milk might not be bad when I cave in.
    Also, whenever I do give in it seems like I fall off the wagon completely and go crazy with it. So probably better to stop being a whiner and just not give in at all.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast