All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    9/28/2007 7:32pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey quickfeet

calm the **** down you're being an asshole.

What do YOU feel the significance of a study showing "real" acupuncture has effect comparable to placebo to be?

I find it interesting that the 'placebo' acupuncture performed so well, actually.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Acupuncturist / Anesthesia Student

Posted On:
    9/29/2007 2:32am

Style: Mostly weights now...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache
    Hey quickfeet

calm the **** down you're being an asshole.

What do YOU feel the significance of a study showing "real" acupuncture has effect comparable to placebo to be?

I am not being an asshole. I am sick and tired of people on this board waxing intellectual about a subject they know nothing about. If an educated individual wants to honestly evaluate a study from Germany on acupuncture then I am game. But when they post their sophomoric drivel while pretending that they actually have a clue I get pissed.

"But hey, this source that I quoted was posted on another site that I resonate with."

Shut the **** up. [Jerky Boys reference]

Sham acupuncture is not a placebo. This is the first indication that a poster has absolutely no clue as to what they are discussing when they erroneously make this distinction. Combine that with a complete lack of understanding about the common etiologies / pathologies that make up the condition "back pain" and I get agitated. When a person posts "an argument from ignorance", they should expect to get factually assraped. That is the nature of this site.

Pretending to know about a topic and commenting on it while being fucking ignorant on the topic is the sign of an asshole.

Calling that person out is not.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    9/29/2007 2:37am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So what is sham acupuncture, then? Is no acupuncture placebo possible? From what I could tell, the intended effect was certainly placebo/control. Why does sham accupuncture work? What does its function imply about the 'real' acupuncture?

Are you saying the "medical acupuncturists" in the study didn't have enough training to demonstrate results better then random placement? As I read the full text of the story, the MINIMUM training hours for participation were 140, the median being 340. (not 100).

The full text seems to validate acupuncture in general, but I'm still curious as to why essentially random placement had such an analgesic effect - general release of endorphin?

And yes, you are being a defensive asshole, and squandering a chance to educate. You're so busy dismissing everyone, your rebuttal is unclear. That's counterproductive, dude.

NTTAWWT. It's fun to be an asshole.
    Last edited by JohnnyCache; 9/29/2007 2:48am at .
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12