Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    9/26/2007 5:15am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    allrighty, i get the idea, i know asshats like them.
    those guys are just insecure and want to be badasses, so if they meet you and they learn or see you're doing some 'tough' style they want to keep up with you and add some to their resume.

Just ignore those fuckers, waste of time.

Posted On:
    9/26/2007 5:40am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've never met a "that guy". The closest was some kid to turned up to bujinkan class and then later told us he was going to go to America to train with Ashida Kim.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/26/2007 5:46am

Style: Proudly Shaolin Do.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have one of those, he wrestles, does kung fu, and apparently was taught ninjitsu by his Asian uncle, who, no one has ever met.

I tend to get nauseas around him

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/26/2007 5:51am

Style: Luta Livre

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Must be the same asian uncle that teaches ninjutsu to the friend of a dude in my gym as well. You know, the real ninjutsu, the one with the punches that damage organs but leave no marks and so on. But he has never met him, so he could not tell me how training looks like. That just shows how invisible ninjas really are, I guess.

Knock-off Cthulhu

Posted On:
    9/26/2007 6:57am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've just met guys who train Aikido and thus claim to be badasses.

No, I don't think they trained t3h r34l Aikido, either.
    Curiosity killed the cat. But damn it had a blast.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/26/2007 9:47am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I met "that guy" in every setting I have been in; work, school, social gatherings.

Last week it was at a BBQ. The conversation shifted to "what's the point of grappling? you can't use it in a fight." The guy proceeded to extol the virtue of punching the weak points on the body; throat, temple, solaplex. It wasn't as bad until he started talking about how the solaplex "has muscles around it for some people and not for others and if you hit the second kind they will double over becuase you made their ribs collapse." I commented that a person with a decent striking stance (boxing, MT) would keep his hands up and if your concentrating on some might have muscles spot might as well kick the guy in the balls (I was joking) because he can't grow muscles on his wang.

The response I got was that some style called KI does grow muscles on their wang to protect against groin hits. I stopped paying attention immediately.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/26/2007 11:45pm

Style: ex-wrestler, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hm? Have I ever met "that guy"? Yes I have. This one idiot who was supposedly a bouncer at the restaraunt I work at (I have NEVER seen him there before or after that, ever. And this week or next week marks my two year anniversary of working there). He claimed to know all these martial arts styles. Looked kind of nerdy too. And he was skinny. I was just nodding my head to everything he was saying, then the chip on his balls got bigger, and said something like 'you don't believe me, do you?' I said 'I never said that'. So then he went back to talking to his fat friend (who lambasted me before that in the men's room because I didn't know this one coworker there was a son of one of the owners of the restaraunt) and I said 'see ya' and went on my merry way.

The funny thing was, that I didn't blab anything about fighting to this bozo. The conversation was about me not knowing that this one coworker I work with is a son of one of the owners. By the way, the fat kid isn't a worker there in the least bit. Just a friend of the resident "Benny Urquidez", and said nepotistic coworker. As I said, I have never seen either of those dicklicks ever again. And the fat kid started a conversation with me. In the men's room. About being a friend of a product of nepotism. Creepy, I know.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2007 8:31am

Style: Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And don't forget the guy who "fought full contact" overseas in the Navy (usually in the Phillipines or Thailand) and won all kinds of champoinships against the locals.

I also had the pleasure of meeting a 20 year old who was at least 75 pounds overweight who was a "3rd dan in Ninjutsu" and spent a year studying in Japan. Said he wanted to come to my dojo to "throw down" with my black belts. And somehow got inexplicably lost in a small town in Maine until about 20 minutes after the class ended.

I usually just let these guys go on if it makes them feel better. My friends don't understand why I just sit there and smile instead of getting into a pissing contest with them, but I have more fun this way.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/27/2007 9:27am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't talk about my training with anyone who doesn't also train in a similar fashion. I just get sick of stupid assumptions. Actually, I find it just as annoying when people think that I am the deadly for training as when they think they are the deadly.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2007 9:36am

Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree heartily with Cyrijl. Talking martial arts with someone that doesn't train quickly degenerates into a "so, do you think you could beat up this person" catastrophe. There's only so many times you can shrug and tell them you have no idea.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast