Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/25/2007 5:40pm

Style: MM to tha A

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Tips from a mystery martial artist

So was down at the emergency room last night getting 5 stitches bellow my eyebrow after getting head butted hard during wrestling.

Next day at uni everyone naturally asked and then followed up with a "that sucks man". This one dude who sits next to me actually critiqued me on my "performance" and said my "defense" was "weak".

"Well what you should have done is this..."

Lemmi give you a bit of background on this guy. How do you know if a guy is engaging in the fine art of bullshido? It's not always if he's claiming high rank or years of experience, but when his martial arts training changes every time you ask. First day of the semester it came up and I briefly explained what I did. Everyone else nodded their understanding for the stuff (as several where MMA fans, who never trained), this dude simply said he did Kung-Fu and a bit of traditional jujutsu. (e.g ancient compliant samurai art) Bear in mind this was back in highschool, 9 years ago according to him.

Next week turns out he also did kick boxing as soon as I told him I do Muay Thai. Ok...interesting. "So you sparred?" I ask. He answers with an "of course".

Another few days later turns out he...grappled? What kind...? The Brazilian kind.

Today it was revealed he also wrestled and did full-out MMA. Yes I asked him. Do you do MMA? Smug nod in return. So how do you go from doing a bit of Kung-Fu as a teenager, to slowly gaining expertise in various arts over the course of one month.

The **** people come up with to not feel like they're somehow inferior in some area to a much younger guy,

Oh and here's the webcam shot of the cut:
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by Aikicat; 9/25/2007 5:43pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/25/2007 5:53pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, this begs the questioned.....have you offered him an invite to your gym?

You know, to prove these assertions.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/25/2007 6:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not really the crusader type. Him being about 5"6, 135lbs is also a bit of a factor too.

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    9/25/2007 6:02pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dont know man, it could have been me: im not going to list every damn style i trained at.

You know him and if you say he's really playing mystery guy ill believe you.

I've had these kind off conversations too, but without smug nods and all.

Usually like this: i used to do jiu jitsu!
    me: me too!

then i decided to train kungfu

me:me too!

etc etc to kckboxing grappling and bjj.
    with the difference i wouldnt be bringing it mysteriously.
    i just dont like to name a whole list.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/25/2007 6:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I understand the idea of not listing everything you do...but summarizing MMA with "Kung-Fu" is a bit odd.

This is also the same dude who said the early UFCs where faked so that Royce would win everytime.

I guess you gotta really know the guy to tell, so my little description didn't do it justice. The guy doesn't like to be left out of anything, and is a bit of an ego maniac.

poser

Posted On:
    9/25/2007 6:26pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They weren't faked as much as the fact that Royce got fights Rorion (who was one of the founders of the UFC iirc) knew he would win. It really was nothing more than a BJJ showcase, but it was also probably the single most important martial arts event of the past 50 years.

Posted On:
    9/25/2007 6:37pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kwoww
    They weren't faked as much as the fact that Royce got fights Rorion (who was one of the founders of the UFC iirc) knew he would win. It really was nothing more than a BJJ showcase, but it was also probably the single most important martial arts event of the past 50 years.
    UFC 75

thats all im gonna say

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/25/2007 6:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He didn't say it in that way, he literally said Royce's opponents were told to lose from the start.

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    9/25/2007 7:49pm

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is there a camp for training MA asshats on the North American continent or something?

I was in the gym training last week and there's this 19 yr old kid in there with 4 of his buddies and a couple pairs of MMA gloves. This moron is wailing wildly on a 30lb hanging everlast bag until he knocks it off the chains. Me being the nice guy that I am, and thoroughly enjoying this wanna be bad ass' performance, go over and help him get the bag back up.

With a little probing he tells me that he has done Kung Fu for 4 years, TKD for 13 years, and Muay Thai for 2 years. When I ask him if he knows who Rich Franklin is, it being Ohio and all, he says he's never heard of him. He then proceeds to tell me he's been fighting MMA "underground, kind of illegal" in the area. WTF?!?! There is no need to fight underground in Ohio, it's easy to get fights at local events if you want one.

When I recommended a gym on the east side of the city that focuses more on grappling, he says "Yeah that's what I do, it's my main thing." What? How does any of the MA's that he claims to have trained equate to him being a grappler of any kind? He's 19 yrs old and has total experience of 19 years of training, and he's a grappler. I gave him the gym's name and extradited myself from the conversation. Thankfully after a few minutes he went over to the other half of the gym and out of sight.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/25/2007 9:50pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think everyone has "this guy" on campus.

In my case he started out doing Hap Ki Do; demostrated some elaborate joint locks that took wayyy too long. The he claimed to be a kickboxing champ who travelled to Thailand. I stopped paying attention somewhere around being a TSK instructor who placed well in NAGA. Apparently he is also a Marine.

All efforts to get him to roll with us were met with back problems although he did offer a full contact kumite, did i neglect to mention he did kyukoushin?

He was a nice guy generally but any MA conversation made me uneasy.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast