Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    9/25/2007 2:28pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Sumo Deadlifts High Pulls (SDHPs)

I like power cleans, but from time to time my right wrist can't take it - I'm sure it's bad technique, but then again, some it hurts just by brushing my teeth. I've found sumo deadlifts into high pulls to be a good alternative.

It gets your blood going, that's for sure. It's not as explosive as cleans (and certainly not as technical), but it's a good compromise. The exercise is easier than cleans for a n00b.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6UujQTJ09w

And this is an explanation of the lift by Crossfit:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq_aiYLzgk8

This is a nice combo of SD high pulls followed by push jerks
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmzaxY88RoU

Enjoy... and comment if possible :)

ps... my only caveat is that high pulls can put a lot of stress in your forearm flexors. If you overtrain and/or don't warm up nor stretch, you can end up getting a case of lateral epicondylitis (tenis elbow - pain on the outside of the elbow), back of the forearm or wrist. It may make thing worse if you are already suffering from carpal tunnel. Trust me when I say this. I've been there, and it's not funny.

So enjoy and be safe.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    9/25/2007 2:40pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    CrossFit seems like Matt Thornton in its non stop talking and talking about stuff. It's all good I suppose to get technical but it just seems funny to me.

Good stuff BTW.

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    9/25/2007 2:49pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, High Pull = Narrow grip upright row? That's what these looked like to me. Narrow grip deadlifts into an upright row. I think I'll try 'em though. I don't have enough weights at home to deadlift, but this will work some of the same muscles at a lighter weight.

Posted On:
    9/25/2007 2:55pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah man. To be honest, I cannot watch that crossfit clip past the first 30 secs (and mostly I watched because of the girl doing the exercise.) I'm not sure exactly how technical one can get (I find this lift a million times less tech than a clean.)

My only word of caution is that it may look easy, but man. First time I tried it, I got a light cramp on my abductors... during the warm up :tongue6:
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

UAAAH!

Posted On:
    9/25/2007 3:00pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't have a lot of experience in crossfit, but I remember we had a trainer who took a medically supervised weight loss client and had them do CrossFit. They collapsed and went to the hospital in an ambulance, the trainer got fired.
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

Posted On:
    9/25/2007 3:05pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt W.
    So, High Pull = Narrow grip upright row? That's what these looked like to me. Narrow grip deadlifts into an upright row. I think I'll try 'em though. I don't have enough weights at home to deadlift, but this will work some of the same muscles at a lighter weight.
    Yeah, some people call it like that. You should try doing them with resistance bands, too. It's fun and a bitch at the same time. My rule of thumb is to grab enough resistance band, per hand, so that you can do a 3/4 of a full bicep curl, but no more.

That should be enough resistance to make it a bitch. Or you can use weights and resistance bands combined (ligther weights and ligther resistance with the bands, of course.) If you do them in high numbers and fast, it's like doing burpees. :evil6:

I want to try them using an ez-bar (to ease my extensors a bit) or with a tricep bar (with hands facing each other.) The later is the hand position that bothers my wrists and elbows the less.

Posted On:
    9/25/2007 3:09pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by feedback
    I don't have a lot of experience in crossfit, but I remember we had a trainer who took a medically supervised weight loss client and had them do CrossFit. They collapsed and went to the hospital in an ambulance, the trainer got fired.
    Crossfit and medically supervised pple trying to lose weight do not combine. That trainer should have been castrated.

The one concern I have about crossfit is the fascination with high reps using mid/heavy weights. High pulls in such high numbers cannot be good for the forearms on the long run. No way Jose.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    9/25/2007 3:19pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I will try these tonight.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Posted On:
    10/23/2007 6:11pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thread whoring

from http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...95&postcount=5

Quote Originally Posted by me
    for weak hips, sumo deadlifts with high pulls are a good thing (the first part of the exercise below)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmzaxY88RoU

However, you do those with a small variation: unlike the guy in the video, you pop your hips forward as the bar travels above your hips. That is, you are using your hips to propel the bar up.

The guy in the clip does a high pull (mostly an arm and shoulder work), which is fine. But if you include the hips (making it more a hip movement than an arm/shoulder), you'll hit your glutes.

Best way to think of this (in a pretty ghey way), imagine you have a walnut in the crack of your ass, and that you are cracking it the moment the bar is passing about your hips. You have to contract your glutes strongly AND your your hips forward a few inches (all in one movement).

Do those in sets of 20, even if you need to pause and resume. You are going to get a mighty cramp in your ass. The closest thing that hits the glutes are lunges (at least for me), and they don't come close since this hits not just the glutes but the entire hips.
    [/thread whoring]

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/12/2007 11:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    None of the videos in this thread demonstrate a "high pull". All I see are upright rows. A high pull is an explosive movement much like a clean where you use a triple extension to fire the weight up, like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzd4lHwbuvQ

The bar should almost never make it above the pecs, because then you'd either be using not enough weight, or using your arms to lift the weight.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast