Sponsored Links Spacer Image

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    9/26/2007 5:56pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There'a a whole thread about why CMA doesn't have a serious system of groundwork, but whatever the reason they don't seem to focus on the ground. Its not things lost over time or hidden in forms, its just not there. Thus groundwork seems outside the scope of san shou/san da. To me, the idea of groundwork in san da is kind of like stickfighting in judo.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/26/2007 9:57pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: ex-tai chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    Ross is supposed to be a good teacher. So, if he is affiliated with these guys in anway that is a plus.

Most martial arts make you start over anyway. If you are going in with an "I already Trained" attitude you need to lose it. Everyone started with nothing at some point. That is what learning is about. You start with nothing and try to go somewhere to gain more knowledge.

Realize you are low man on the totem pool and train. Tatsu is wrong, It has nothing to do with a solid base. If that was the case many schools wouldn't exist. All a solid base may do is get you into Sanda sparring quicker than someone untrained.

Again it is a rule set. What Hui Xui types is wrong. A good Kung fu school teaches the art and Sanda side by side. They should be equal not one begat the other. Now, that is what people are trying to say as CBF posted.
    I didn't say one needed a solid base, all i said was that for me personally, my sifu insisted i have one before he started getting me into san da. I'm well aware that i need to learn new and different things now and that i start at the bottom rung again. All i'm saying is that I could see it as cross training, since I didn't originally start learning techniques that fit in with san da concurrently with my tai chi training.

That being said, like IIF says, it's a rule set, and i don't think that you'd necessarily need a MA base to get into it, let alone a TMA base, so if you really want to go for it mate, give it a go

Gold Summit Martial Arts Institute

Posted On:
    9/26/2007 10:24pm

Style: Ba Zheng Dao Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    Ross is supposed to be a good teacher. So, if he is affiliated with these guys in anway that is a plus.

Most martial arts make you start over anyway. If you are going in with an "I already Trained" attitude you need to lose it. Everyone started with nothing at some point. That is what learning is about. You start with nothing and try to go somewhere to gain more knowledge.

Realize you are low man on the totem pool and train. Tatsu is wrong, It has nothing to do with a solid base. If that was the case many schools wouldn't exist. All a solid base may do is get you into Sanda sparring quicker than someone untrained.

Again it is a rule set. What Hui Xui types is wrong. A good Kung fu school teaches the art and Sanda side by side. They should be equal not one begat the other. Now, that is what people are trying to say as CBF posted.
    I agree. I didn't mean to say that one leads to the other, but as an analogy. MB is to MT as KF is to SD. Sorry for the confusion, and thanks for the catch.

Authentic Kung Fu in Buffalo, NY

http://www.buffalokungfu.com

http://www.laoshierinmarkle.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12