The gift that keeps on giving

Posted On:
    9/24/2007 4:49am

supporting member
     Style: On hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Beginner gun?

As a beginner, what's the best gun to buy for my money: ease of use/effectiveness?

I'd do a search for it but new guns and how they are used are developed all the time.

Thanks.

:blob8:

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    9/24/2007 4:53am

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    As a beginner, what's the best gun to buy for my money: ease of use/effectiveness?

I'd do a search for it but new guns and how they are used are developed all the time.

Thanks.

:blob8:
    What is the gun to be used for , home defense , hunting , concealed carry , or shooting cans ?

What do you want , a Hand Gun , rifle , or shotgun ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    9/24/2007 8:49am

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ...but the classic recommendations don't change more than once every decade or two.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2007 9:17am

Style: Vale Tudo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Home Defense: A 9mm if you've never shot a handgun before, a .40 cal if you have. I always recommend H&K, Glock, or, if you have to go cheaper, S&W. Anything lower has higher chance of misfire, IMO, though I've heard of Hi-Points that don't (and plenty that do, so go for one of the three I mentioned and forget I said the word Hi-Point). If you get really good and want a sweet handgun after you get past the whole beginner phase, I will always back the .45 GAP, G-37 as one of the best I've ever fired. But it is not, IMO, for beginners.

Concealed: 9mm compact or subcompact Glock, ie. G-19 or G-26, depending on where you'll carry it, or subcompact .40 cal, ie. G-27. For this and this alone, I do not back H&K, not because of some problem but rather because I've never owned or fired a compact H&K, but I would kill any one of you for one of the aforementioned Glocks.

Shotgun: For a beginner, Mossberg 500 HS410 if you're concerned with home defense, not killing but maiming anyone you shoot at, and not killing people in another room. Otherwise, just about any other 500 series Mossberg. I highly reccommend Mossberg. Otherwise, Remington 870 or one of it's other lines are also nice, although not as well made IMO.

Rifle: That's a totally different story altogether and I will assume by the vague question that this is not a beginner's hunting rifle, and since rifles aren't too useful for home defense (excepting of course Kalashnikov's, SKS's, AR's, etc.) I won't put down a long list of useful rifles.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2007 9:51am

Style: .45ACP & Confusion

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Necroth has some good points.

What ever you buy make sure it is of decent quality. That doesn’t mean however that you need to break the bank. Taurus makes quality hand guns at a great price. If you want self defense I don’t recommend anything smaller than a .45. Stick with the ACP, the GAP is expensive and can be hard to find. I know the .45 is a big round but that is okay, even for a beginner.

For a shotgun, a high quality - low cost one is the Mossberg Maverick 12 gage. Use birdshot in the house and buck shot on the street.

Necroth is dead on about the rifle. I love me a Kalashnikov! SKS is a good high quality low cost rifle that can be used for both hunting and militia purposes.

If you just want to plink than get a .22. You can buy one at Wal-Mart for about $100.
    The ammo is dirt cheap and they are fun as hell to shoot!
    :qleft7:

P.S.
    Stay away from Davis, Hi-Point, Kel-Tec and other such crap.
    Last edited by AMH; 9/24/2007 9:53am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2007 10:21am

Style: Vale Tudo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Taurus is good, but when I think Taurus, I think large calibre and I have never liked suggesting .45, .44 or any other magnum for beginners. .40 has plenty of stopping power, 9mm is cheap in today's market. Now, Taurus does have good weapons, though. I second the Taurus comment.

PS: I do, on the other hand not own a 9mm. Once I got past beginner period, i began to dislike them for defense. I would keep a .380 or 9mm around for fun, maybe for scaring people off my land if I was still in TX and on a large plot, but I'd go with .40 or .45 an day of the week for power. But that's a totally seperate debate and, even without searching for it, I bet it's been debated here. Needless to say, any weapon can be dangerous, but some seem to be more dangerous than others. *cough, cough* .40/.45 *cough*

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2007 11:11am

Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How much experience do you have with firearms? If you don't have any (that's OK; you can fix that problem), then I would strongly recommend going with a .22 LR pistol. This way, you can learn good trigger mechanics, without developing bad habits, such as flinching, jerking, etc., since .22 LR rounds have very little recoil.

Once you're comfortable with firearms, then you can look for a respectable defensive caliber.

Since you've stated that you are a beginner, I'd start with the .22 LR, and then try a medium framed revolver, chambered in the .357 magnum, such as S&W's 686 revolver, with a 4" barrel.

You can shoot lower powered .38 Special loads for plinking fun, and can use hotter .38 Special +P loads for defensive purposes, if you don't like the full blast of a .357 magnum.

The full size frame, and good factory trigger allows for easy use, and it's quite reliable.

Posted On:
    9/24/2007 11:26am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For $500 you can get a Walther P22 to learn the basics, and a Mosin Nagant for killing bears/capitalist pigs.

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    9/24/2007 3:50pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Any suggestions for a good .22LR pistol? If that isn't an oxymoron.

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    9/24/2007 3:53pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Get a .357 Magnum.

You can shoot .38 through it for learning to shoot/handle the gun. It still has some kick, but not much.
    As you progress you can shoot .38 special, and +P stuff through it. Then you can load it with .357 Mag rounds for home defense.
    Easy to clean, easy to operate, fun to shoot, and fairly inexpensive.

CCW? Glock 27, 40 S&W.
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast