233692 Bullies, 3299 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast
  1. --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Not Without My Justice: Part IV: The Final Chapter (Cyber Seduction?): By Aaron Boyd

Part IV: Cyber Seduction?

Sometime in early 2004, two years after I left Radunz Isshin-Ryu, I made a post on Bullshido detailing my experiences with karate. Specifically, I created a list of every single absurd, outlandish, and otherwise impractical thing Iíd been taught over the course of my two-year tenure. For the purposes of brevity I excluded them from this story, partially because itíd bog down the narrative and partially because itís redundant: if youíre reading this, you can simply view the thread in its entirety
    here.

About six months later Mark Radunz sent me an email. Considering how much time passed since I had both left his school and made the post, I was shocked to hear from him, but at the same time, relieved and gladdened. As stupid and pointless as the time spent there was, I met a lot of good (if not genuinely misguided) people, and always wondered what the dojo was up to. Sure, they failed at martial arts, but given how utterly inconsequential the capacity to beat someone up is in 21st century America, thatís hardly a slight on their character.

Unfortunately it wasnít a courtesy call. Mark was pissed. Even though I didnít use his name or his schoolís name in that infamous post, he still figured who it was about and dropped some retaliatory bombs, which I had the foresight to save.

Mr. Boyd,

It's been brought to my attention that you have made some totally out of line comments on public forums regarding myself, Sheila, Mr. Harrill and the training you received while in my dojo. Needless to say, I'm very disappointed in you. I never expected that from you, nor do I think I deserved it from you.

I would remind you that when you attended classes at my dojo, you were a child and we treated you as such. Seems some things never change.

While you may have at the time considered me to be your sensei, make no mistake, I never considered you to be my student. You had yet to prove yourself, beyond just showing up for class. So to me, you were just another body passing through at the time.

I did however, like you, and I tried to do my best with what I had to work with. To be honest, you were a very uncoordinated youth, and easily hurt. Your choosing to leave before attaining an age where I could train you as an adult is unfortunate. I'm sure your current opinion would be considerably different.

I was particularily disappointed in your comments calling Mr. Harrill's techniques "parlor tricks" (not to mention calling Sheila a "*****" unworthy of her black belt. BTW, she thought you were gay). I was under the impression that your one experience with the man was a positive one. I'm sorry I ever invited you now, because you obviously didn't learn a damn thing.

It's very easy to sit at a keyboard and talk about one's training and ability, which is usually an indication that the author has neither. I find training in my pubic, and home dojos to be more effective. You have no idea how I train. Right now young man, you're writing checks with your mouth that your body can't cash.

I have no desire to enter into a war of words or threats with you, or waste any more time in this stupid forum. My time is better spent on the makiwara. If you wish to back up anything you've said, you know where to find me. My guess is, I'll never hear from you other than an email or idle threats online.

Looking back at what I wrote, I donít consider any of my comments to be out of line. The techniques, as I explained them, were 100% factually accurate, and unless he busted some serious fucking business exclusively when my back was turned, the adult black belts received the same training as 16 year old green belts. Asking black belts what their special training consisted of and hearing ďjust what you see us doingĒ further corroborates my theory that Mark really wasnít going anywhere with that.

I could further dissect the email, underline and highlite the comical hypocrisy of calling me a fag from a position of moral superiority (honest, I was this close to feeling bad about calling his girlfriend a *****), but that sort of pedantic silliness is both gratuitous and unnecessary. The email speaks for itself.

lol pubic dojo

I also wrote two followup emails which werenít as shrewd as I wouldíve liked, and as such, didnít save. They basically said if he wanted to fight me instead of mincing words via email (my interpretation of the last paragraph), I was up for it, and only needed a time and place. Mark did not respond. I sent him another email, just to see if he was deliberately ignoring me. I have not heard back from him since, so I can safely assume I called his bluff and the issue, as far as I can see, is settled.

I havenít seen or heard from anyone from the old dojo since, which begs the question of the reader, why bother writing all this? And why wait until years after the fact? Traditionally I would say itís ďhard to explainĒ and thereís ďa lot of reasons, reallyĒ, but the truth is quite simple: I just never got around to it. I do have a life, you know. Less facetiously, I write this as cautionary tale for those entering martial arts for the first time, or for those who should know better but still persist, chasing the rainbow of competency. Itís probably too long, personal, and otherwise self-indulgent to serve as a decent primer, but whatever. Thereís a lot worse ways to spend your time than doing terrible karate (like reading about terrible karate), but there are certainly much better ways as well. People get into this with the best intentions, believing theyíre gaining some intangible benefit they can never use or prove. I keep thinking of Mark and Sherman, dedicating enormous chunks of their lives to an otherwise inconsequential endeavor, like recruiting teenagers to sell diet pills. And I think of their students, and all those hundreds, if not thousands of people who throw away countless hours, years, decades of their lives, physical and emotional toil, thousands of dollars on something they believe will prepare them for a physical confrontation, but will in fact betray them with potentially fatal consequences.

Iím not delusional. I harbor no grand visions of singlehandedly wiping out impractical training methods. This is just my story. And Iím sticking to it.

So, while my time in karate may have fizzled into an unsatisfying anticlimax, my final confrontation with my former karate instructor fizzled out into an unsatisfying anticlimax. All is right with the world, and with that, I conclude the Justice Quadrology. And yet...it feels vaguely hollow, as though I'm missing something....

Oh yeah. That's right.

Spoiler:

Probably not safe for work, but then, Epic seldom is.
    Last edited by Boyd; 9/23/2007 10:17pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/23/2007 8:04pm

Style: No-Gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ended properly.

As a student who has gone through similar pathways, this is exactly the ending I expected, and was overjoyed to see that I'm not the only one who suffered from some strange mental illness.

Now to do more push-ups.

**** you math class

Posted On:
    9/23/2007 9:20pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, Ballet, Archery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boyd
    Iím not delusional. I harbor no grand visions of singlehandedly wiping out impractical training methods. This is just my story. And Iím sticking to it.
    Felt like I was reading the liner notes for a protest folk album.

Rowsdower!

Posted On:
    9/23/2007 9:33pm

Join us... or die
     Style: On Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, Mark's an arse. For what it's worth, I hope he's still hawking diet pills and attending Amway meetings.

Great story.

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    9/23/2007 10:12pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The picture of the dragon eating/raping a male elf prince confuses me.

What comic is that from!??!

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    9/23/2007 10:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Google image search, "dragons+sex+midair+lots" , then "dragon+sex+'hot rod' AND corvette".
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Here to kick your ass.

Posted On:
    9/24/2007 3:10am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boyd
    Google image search, "dragons+sex+midair+lots" , then "dragon+sex+'hot rod' AND corvette".
    Good story and all that... But oh my god, you actually googled that?! What the hell?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2007 5:29am

Style: Vale Tudo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This seems to be every Isshin Ryu/Genshin Ryu experience ever by any person who left. I've had arguments with one such as your former sensei at Y!A, and the anti-sparring thing seems to be a byproduct of the ruse that they build the McDojo on. Good for you to get out, and good for you to write this.

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    9/24/2007 12:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good stuff. I realized that, as incorrect as the training methodology was at my orginal TKD school, it could have been much, much worse. At least we hit plenty of targets, pads and the occasional heavy bag, and sparred (albeit with no/very light contact). We also had a lot of personal attention (in a non-creepy way) from the instructor and black belts who all trained very hard in their own way too.

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    9/25/2007 2:04am

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Posting nothing but that email would have made the whole series worth it.

While you may have at the time considered me to be your sensei, make no mistake, I never considered you to be my student. You had yet to prove yourself, beyond just showing up for class. So to me, you were just another body passing through at the time.
    That one's a CLASSIC. I'm guessing under all the bluster there's a geek kid who desperately wanted to be a samurai ... or a Jedi Knight.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast