222413 Bullies, 4900 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 12 1 234511 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    9/23/2007 11:51am

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Pride fighters out of gas

Gomi gasses to Diaz
    Cro Cop gasses to Kongo (and arguably Gonzaga)
    Shogun gasses to Griffin
    and Nogueira arguably didn't look in top shape himself in his last fight despite the win...against another Pride import who also looked lackluster.

Steroids helping the gas tank? I know it's been talked a lot, but I want some answers from those who know about this ****. It's well known that Japanese venues didn't prohibit steroids, but what kind of steroids help endurance? Or perhaps it's simply a lack of recovery time they are used to, and are going into fights with injuries from training?
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    9/23/2007 11:52am

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On the other hand you have guys like Rampage who look as great as they ever did, and allegedly have never been on the juice. Now that Rampage has a home where everyone is clean, he's finally on top of the hill.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Rowsdower!

Posted On:
    9/23/2007 12:04pm

Join us... or die
     Style: On Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just curious, but if a male fighter is on steroids for a long time, and then subsequently stops using them, won't their testosterone levels drop off the charts? I seem to recall this point being made in a thread (from earlier this month) wherein Bruce Lee's alleged steroid use was brought up; after allegedly using them for a long time and then going cold turkey, his body was unable to naturally produce adequate amounts of testosterone. This might be something to bring up if someone makes the argument that some of the Pride fighters going into the UFC were previously on steroids, thus being a possible explanation for their gassing out early in a promotion using Unified Rules.

Just a thought.

Posted On:
    9/23/2007 12:15pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had always thought that Pride had the best fighters becuase they paid for the best, and there were more international level guys. This steroid thing sounds like it is very possible, and, well, disappointing. Pretty niave

Martial and Sexual Artist

Posted On:
    9/23/2007 12:20pm

supporting member
     Style: standup to ground

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Things like OT help a bit with endurance, but not the kind of fight specific endurance we look for. Not too many steroids are cardio helpers, outside of helping build cardiac tissue itself.

I really can't explain the pride fighter performances. Maybe they just underestimated their opponents or everybody in pride really was a can as many joked.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    9/23/2007 12:40pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It could be that the juice helped these fighters recover while training maniacal to peak just around the time of their fights. Could it also be that, besides understimating their opponents, the octagon itself, the cage and the shape, and the lack of soccer kicks and knees to the head on the ground, all that may been factors also understimated by these fighters?
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

poser

Posted On:
    9/23/2007 2:54pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    It could be that the juice helped these fighters recover while training maniacal to peak just around the time of their fights. Could it also be that, besides understimating their opponents, the octagon itself, the cage and the shape, and the lack of soccer kicks and knees to the head on the ground, all that may been factors also understimated by these fighters?
    That's a blanket yes.

I think they have to live and learn in this case. An upset or two here and there shouldn't be a problem if they come back afterwards (i.e. not Cro Cop).

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    9/23/2007 3:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I suspected it for years, but now I think the proof is conclusive.

PRIDE WAS NOTHING BUT PURORESU, MANAGEMENT CALLED THE WINNER

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/23/2007 5:43pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, assuming both Pride and the UFC are run by mobsters, It wouldn't be suprising if they were both at least somewhat rigged.

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    9/23/2007 5:50pm

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think that Pride fighters not taking UFC fighters seriously also helps their loss. Look at Cro Cop, he didn't even give half a **** in either of his fights and he lost majorly because of that.
Page 1 of 12 1 234511 ... LastLast