Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/23/2007 1:25am

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Supplements, do they actually work?

Like whenever I'm at a health store and I see a massive jug of whey protein, or see pills of all shapes and sizes. I wonder, does this actually help people bulk up? I'm sure the answer is yes, but the real question that should be asked is, how much working out would need to be put in before it has benefits?

I remember reading that the average person consumes more than enough protein needed to build muscle, so eating a big jug of whey protein won't really help. Just wondering if anybody has any insights on this.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    9/23/2007 1:48am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Protein doesn't build muscle, a calorie surplus does. You could eat nothing but protein, but if you're eating below maintenence, you won't be putting on muscle.

To answer your overall question, some supplements have specific purposes. They aren't a replacement for nutrition, but a supplement.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/23/2007 1:59am

Style: WTF TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Supplements are just that, they help fill in the gap of what your not getting in your daily diet. And even then, it's up to your body to decide if it wants to use them or not. Each cell has it's cytoplasm which is a huge, unorganized stew of proteins, enzymes, mRNA products that float around waiting to be used.

Awhile ago (and I never ate protein supplements), I went to the gym once a week and my chest expanded a cm or two within a few weeks. I never strained myself, I wasn't even in for an hour (stuck to the torso).

Your body will build muscle if it feels the need to. My high school sci teacher (aspiring med student) said that when you get to the point where your straining to bring up the weights, that's when you build the most muscle. You're breaking alot of muscle fibers.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    9/23/2007 12:31pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Simple answer: GOOD supplements work, provided you know what you are taking and, most important of all, that you eat and rest well. If you don't eat well, and if you don't rest well, supplements are just money wasted out of your pooper.

Also, supplements aren't just for "bulking up". The most important supplement IMO is glutamine. And it has nothing to do with gaining size, but for recovery.

-- EDIT --

See the links in my sig :)
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/23/2007 1:25pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: karate (used to)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some people really rely on them too much, and you shouldnt, like all the above have said, their not there to REPLACE anything. naturally built bodies, with naturally obtained nutrients are more desirable. you shouldnt need the help of drugs.
    i personally believe they dont really work, maybe a little, but theres no "miracle supplement" or anything thats gonna make you bust out with the brawn. and if there is, ive been undereducated ;)
    like herbal supplements really only work if you believe they do. its kinda like a placebo effect lol.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    9/23/2007 1:27pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alundra
    Some people really rely on them too much, and you shouldnt, like all the above have said, their not there to REPLACE anything. naturally built bodies, with naturally obtained nutrients are more desirable. you shouldnt need the help of drugs.
    i personally believe they dont really work, maybe a little, but theres no "miracle supplement" or anything thats gonna make you bust out with the brawn. and if there is, ive been undereducated ;)
    like herbal supplements really only work if you believe they do. its kinda like a placebo effect lol.
    I doubt the TC was talking about anabolic agents, but moreso creatines and proteins, which are totally natural, not a drug in the slightest.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/23/2007 1:38pm

Style: BJJ/no-gi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alundra
    Read up on protein synthesis. Making sure you have enough protein to cover your requirements does definitely not equal a placebo!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/23/2007 10:16pm

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is there a proper guide on what supplements do and how one should take them in combination with a workout regimen? I say proper because given the internet, any bozo with a computer or a public relations firm selling some junk can type a guide. Is there one that you guys have seen that you can vouch for as good?

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    9/24/2007 5:31am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like creatine and beta alanine. They have a good amount of backing to them, especially creatine.

A multi is good for overall health, and I take 20mg Zinc Picolinate a day as I read athletes are deficient in zinc usually (also that zinc is important to make testosterone, so I don't want to be deficient).

I am going through a bottle of tribulus and take 2g a day. I notoce nothing but I am 21 and I never saw a claim that it would give its supposed natural test boost in anyone of my age just figured I would try it for fun.

GABA is nice taken preworkout or even at night to help sleep well.

Arginine is nice for the pump effect preworkout but tastes nasty and may not do much in terms of muscle growth. It may aid recovery hough which is nice but I am not sure.

My favorites so far would be creatine, beta alanine, and caffeine. In addition to the zinc/multi which I would take no matter what.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    9/24/2007 8:33am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I could vouch for what I take:

I religiously take 1 serving of Betancourt Glutamine High-C, each serving containing 5g glutamine and 1,000mg vitaminc C (1,666% DV). And during the day I may take an additional 1 or 2 servings (4 when I felt I've workout too much.) Best thing ever.

glutamine and vitamin C = recovery (simplistic explanation)

I take NOXPLODE in the mornings almost everyday in addition to the glutamine. These two make a lot of difference in how well I can recover from a workout.

NOXPLODE = energy, performance (simplistic explanation)
    creatine = energy, performance (simplistic explanation)

Depending of what I ate the night prior, I may add half a cap of IDS "New Whey" - that's about 22g of protein in less than 2oz of fluid. Easiest way to take on protein.

protein = food lots of people don't take enough of ;)

I also take a ginseng and b-complex product called 'Triple Boost'. I call it "brain food." This make a big difference at work in days when I'm tired. This is a product that I recommend anyone, whether they work out or not.

ginseng and b-complex = brain food.

Regarding testosterone boosters, I was taking tribulus (which was ok). But now I'm taking Novadex by Gaspari and Humanofort by Labrada. At 38, that **** rocks!!!!

Another supplement I take are BCAAs. I'm particularly fond of "BCAA Plus" by Prolab. Nothing special, just that I like the capsule form, and this brand has a good price.

BCAAs = the stuff you are made of :)

Every once in a while I take zinc supplements (30mg), but I don't do this daily. I go by "feeling" (tired, sick). When I take it, I do it for a few days in a row until I feel better, and then I drop off it.

zinc = food for the immune system :)

Potasium, chromium and selenium are also good, but it becomes a bit hectic to take all those pills. I should be more disciplined and add these to my supplements.

A multivitamin is good, and I'm fond of Centrum. However, I'm off multis until my next blood test and check up with my doc. Last time, he said my iron and cholesterol levels were very high (so I'm off multis, red meat and whole eggs until the next checkup).
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast