Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/23/2007 2:05am

Style: WTF TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by syberia
    Oh, I know...

It is so good. Hell it's my favorite meal when i cook for myself. And its soo easy. wouldn't take me anymore than 10 mins to cook. Be sure not to use to much oil in the wok/pan though, or you'll overload it.
    True, true. Try to find a balance of steam cooking you veggies in meat fat/ water. It's tough getting your veggies to cook without turning into french fries with just oil.

BTW Ten min meals will heal America :besos:

Weak

Posted On:
    9/23/2007 2:40am

Join us... or die
     Style: No longer training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Uri, impressive that at your age you want to take responsibility for your diet.

Stir Fry the Easy Way:

1. Wash and cut your veggies (similiar sized pieces for the veges is a good idea)

2. Heat your wok up on high and add a teaspoon of oil (I like sesame for stir fries). l like to add half a teaspoon of crushed ginger and garlic to the oil.

3. Put your veggies into the wok in order of longest to cook to those that just need a quick toss through the heat. Meat should go in first if you're doing a mixed stir fry. I suggest taking the meat out before you do the veggies, unless you're cooking with two woks.

4. I find a combination like sweet pea, mushroom, tofu, baby corn takes as little as 5 minutes to cook. You want it crisp not soggy, don't cover the wok. Denser veggies like broccoli, bell peppers may take a few more minutes, you'll learn.

You can add flavour to taste (paprika, oyster sauce, salt, pepper, spices, chilli, ground peanuts, lime leaves, basil leaves etc.)

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/23/2007 3:23am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily
    Hey Uri, impressive that at your age you want to take responsibility for your diet.

Stir Fry the Easy Way:

1. Wash and cut your veggies (similiar sized pieces for the veges is a good idea)

2. Heat your wok up on high and add a teaspoon of oil (I like sesame for stir fries). l like to add half a teaspoon of crushed ginger and garlic to the oil.

3. Put your veggies into the wok in order of longest to cook to those that just need a quick toss through the heat. Meat should go in first if you're doing a mixed stir fry. I suggest taking the meat out before you do the veggies, unless you're cooking with two woks.

4. I find a combination like sweet pea, mushroom, tofu, baby corn takes as little as 5 minutes to cook. You want it crisp not soggy, don't cover the wok. Denser veggies like broccoli, bell peppers may take a few more minutes, you'll learn.

You can add flavour to taste (paprika, oyster sauce, salt, pepper, spices, chilli, ground peanuts, lime leaves, basil leaves etc.)
    I was going to say the same thing.

Whenever I watch a chinese chef on tv cook with a wok, the one thing that always happens is the wok is so hot that whatever is put in smokes up a bit. They like to heat the woks up HOT. I've also noticed they first cook the meat, then take it out, then cook the veggies and add the meat back in with the sauce. And they do not use much oil. At the very end of the cooking, they might add some corn starch in cold water to thicken the sauce up (like a teaspoon of corn starch mixed in a tablespoon of water).

poser

Posted On:
    9/23/2007 7:34am

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't use the corn starch, it makes it taste like ****.

BTW broccoli and garlic in olive oil is not only a really basic easy side dish but it also tastes fucking good.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/23/2007 5:44pm

Style: Wrestling, BJJ n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, this has been really helpful. Thanks.

And does anyone know about the Splenda? I've heard that artificial sweeteners will make you keel over during a workout, and considering that the wrestling team does workouts every Tuesday morn, and I like Splenda in my breakfast, it would be nice to know if that claim has any substance.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    9/23/2007 5:52pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uri Shatil
    So, you just take a lil bit of oil, some veggies and whatnot, fry 'em, and keep 'em moving in circles? So it's not any more complicated than I thought?
    Make sure the oil is hot first. Some things take longer than others. Harder vegetables (like sliced carrot) generally need longer than soft vegetables (like mushrooms), so you'd put the mushrooms in later when the carrot is nearly done. Fish and shellfish need much less time than poultry or meat.

The easiest way to get timings right is to test textures with a fork. Read some simple chinese recipes on the interweb.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Here to kick your ass.

Posted On:
    9/24/2007 3:18am

Join us... or die
     Style: Jubo NOOB, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damn i want stir fry right now...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2007 6:27pm

Style: Wrestling, BJJ n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alright, just finished the last of my first stir-fry. Check it.

Teaspoon and a half (-ish) of olive oil on the wok, on medium heat. Chopped half a head of brocolli, half an orange bell pepper, and a carrot. Minced one clove of garlic. Stir-fry; halfway through, I add curry powder.

Things I did right: I don't know, but it was fuckin' delicious.

Things I did wrong:
    Too much carrot, and I didn't chop the carrot finely at ALL. Each cylindrically shaped slice was average one centimeter in height. The end result was that the carrot tasted pretty much like raw carrot. Although raw carrot is delicious, I would've preferred stir-fried carrot.

Took it off too early. I saw some pieces start to brown or blacken or whatever, and took it off. I soon discovered that these pieces were the most delicious of them all, especially this one piece of broccoli that really hit the spot. The only veggie that was actually done well was the pepper, and I figure that that's because of its shape and flatness.

Things that I can not judge, for I am still a n00b:
    Did I put on the right amount of olive oil? After the first few seconds, the olive oil couldn't actually be seen.

Things I might try to do next time:
    Maybe I'll add some sort of sauce. But I don't know how I would go about preparing such a sauce. Ideas?

So, yeah, first trial, and it was delicious and really filling. I didn't expect it to be that filling.

Thanks all, for helping me prepare this delicious meal.

Weak

Posted On:
    9/24/2007 6:38pm

Join us... or die
     Style: No longer training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Brilliantissimo!

Good work Uri, know you know about those carrots...

There are a ton of ready made sauces at the supermarket, just read the labels carefully (sugar content etc.) and try out a few. I'll actually pour a few teaspoons of vegetable stock into the hot wok as I'm stir frying for flavour.

poser

Posted On:
    9/24/2007 7:10pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You did fine on the oil. If it doesn't mostly disappear within a minute you probably put too much in.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast