Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/23/2007 12:18am

Style: Wrestling, BJJ n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

HOW DO STIR FRY?? and other questions from a nutrtional and cooking n00b

I am a nutritional n00b. Being fourteen, I mostly know how to cook what my father taught me how to cook, which is a small array of Hungarian food; shnitzel, goulash, paprika chicken, and a few things I did based on what little I know; spaghetti and meatballs with insane proportions of paprika, and a fish-based dish involving paprika. Lotsa paprika. Keep this in mind.

For those of you who haven't been regularly posting in the diet thread, I am trying to lose one pound a week. I'm limiting my calorie intake, and working out daily. But I know nothing about nutrition.

If you want an abridged version:
    First question: Low-Cal Snack Recipes
    Second question: HOW DO STIR FRY??
    Third question: Splenda

Or the full version:

First Question: The one time I have a tendency to cheat on my diet is when I come home from wrestling or BJJ or the gym or whatever, and I'm really tired, and I'm really hungry. I need something to eat, and I want to make it in under ten minutes. I've already got the chicken fajita recipe from Mr. Mantis, and I'm learning a lot from the Sixth Meal thread. If you know anything that fits my criterea but not the other thread's, then it would be very helpful if you were to post it here. And you get extra points if it involves paprika.

Second Question: I recently discovered that my family possesses a wok, and I'd like to take up stir-frying. I don't know how to; I've rummaged through the internetz, but I haven't found anything explaining to a beginner how to stir-fry. Could someone please give me a hand? And is it actually healthy? How long do certain things need to be stir-fried? Does it matter what oil I use? Help would be greatly appreciated.

Third Question: I love Splenda. I use it in my oatmeal when I have oatmeal, and sometiems in my coffee (except when I have black coffee), and usually in my tea. To me, it seems like a miracle. It's just like sugar, but doesn't digest. I also like Diet Cherry Vanilla Dr. Pepper. I'm not an idiot, though, I understand diet soda. The point isn't that you can have all you want, that point is that if you're having soda anyways, it's better to have diet. But I've heard some things lately, that if you eat artificial sweeteners it has detremental effects while working out. I'm not to worried 'bout the Dr. Pepper; I'm smart enough not to drink a soda right before a workout. I am worried about the Splenda, since I have that almost every morning. Does it have any detremental effects? How long does it take to leave the body, anyway? Again, answers would be much appreciated.

Thanks again.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/23/2007 12:23am

Style: WTF TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In regards to Q2, foodnetwork.com didn't help???

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/23/2007 12:27am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not at all. They assume I know how to stir-fry. I'm pretty sure that it's frying stuff and moving it in a circle. Also, I know **** about nutrition, so I can never tell if their recipes are low calorie or high calorie. But most importantly, all of their recipes involve, like, twelve ingredients, and I don't have a very varied spice rack. It's mostly just basil, cayenne, oregano, and paprika. But I do have plenty of paprika.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/23/2007 12:36am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I not sure how much i can help. i usually free for all on stir fry. I usually cut all my desired ingredients, throw in cheap oil for frying (type of oil depends on what flavor you want. I like olive oil, I heard grapseed oil is relatively tasteless. not sure about how healthy it is).

Really, you just throw in what you want then increase heat as what you see/ feel as appropriate. ready made spices, like five spice or the mystery jars, are really good just in themselves.

Careful of what lil water might get into the pan. Other then that, use your nose to see what spices'll compliment eachother.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/23/2007 12:38am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh and for noodles and rice, you have to cook those separately.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/23/2007 12:43am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, you just take a lil bit of oil, some veggies and whatnot, fry 'em, and keep 'em moving in circles? So it's not any more complicated than I thought?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/23/2007 12:51am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, it's really not.

Here's a guy I like.

http://www.thecookingguy.com/

He's famous for making good quick meals here in Tucson.

And putting a lid over it will allow for some steam cooking. Use low - mid heat.

Here to kick your ass.

Posted On:
    9/23/2007 1:41am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uri Shatil
    So, you just take a lil bit of oil, some veggies and whatnot, fry 'em, and keep 'em moving in circles? So it's not any more complicated than I thought?
    Stir Fries are the easiest thing in the world.

I might add that if you're using meat (seafood is a fave of mine) put it in the wok/pan first, with onion if you use it. Let it go for a couple of minutes then add your veggies. After thats been going for a bit add your rice or noodles and sauce.

If i may share a recipe basic with you- Udon noodled with seafood and oyster sauce is like my favorite meal ever.

Basically follow the above pattern with shrimp/ crab meat or whatever seafood you like, and for the sauce just add a spoonfull of oyster sauce, mixed into a bit of water, as you add the noodles. I dont know how healthy it is, but its fucking awesome.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/23/2007 1:47am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by syberia
    Stir Fries are the easiest thing in the world.

I might add that if you're using meat (seafood is a fave of mine) put it in the wok/pan first, with onion if you use it. Let it go for a couple of minutes then add your veggies. After thats been going for a bit add your rice or noodles and sauce.

If i may share a recipe basic with you- Udon noodled with seafood and oyster sauce is like my favorite meal ever.

Basically follow the above pattern with shrimp/ crab meat or whatever seafood you like, and for the sauce just add a spoonfull of oyster sauce, mixed into a bit of water, as you add the noodles. I dont know how healthy it is, but its fucking awesome.
    Hellz YEAH!

Here to kick your ass.

Posted On:
    9/23/2007 1:52am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, I know...

It is so good. Hell it's my favorite meal when i cook for myself. And its soo easy. wouldn't take me anymore than 10 mins to cook. Be sure not to use to much oil in the wok/pan though, or you'll overload it.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast