Sponsored Links Spacer Image

poser

Posted On:
    9/22/2007 10:15pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

ATTN Judoka. Parnel Legros?

So I was looking for Judo schools to crosstrain at, and since Westchester is a shitty county, after some hardcore Goolgle-Fu I only found one school that sounded any good: Legrosports, Inc. Judo. It looks pretty no-nonsense based on its website, and the kids at least look like they train pretty hard from the pictures. And tournament attendance is mandatory for testing. Cool.

The Sensei also sounds like he's got a hell of a resumé:
    former Olympian, Coach of the Starrett Judo Club, United States Olympic Committee and United States Judo Federation’s 1998 Coach of the Year. Coach Legros has produced some of the nation’s top athletes, with students ranked among the top 3 in the U.S. for almost a decade. His students include World Championship Team members and Olympic alternates. Coach Legros is a physical education teacher, he also holds a master’s degree in Applied Physiology and Sports Nutrition.

My first question: is this guy legit? Some more Google-Fu and a cursory Bullshido forums search turned up basically nothing, but maybe I'm just too much of a n00b and I'm just not looking in the right places.

But if this guy is legit, "Why not just go to Starrett Judo?" you might ask. The answer: it's an hour and a half away. So that's out of the question. But now I come to my second question: classes are only twice a week, and my tight schedule only allows me to attend one. Is learning Judo in only two hours every week going to help me at all? Or will I just be wasting my time?

Y'know, on second thought, this might belong in the JMA forum, but it is a bit of a crappling question, and the New Posts-ers will at least find it. Oh well.

Pingo

Posted On:
    9/22/2007 10:29pm

Style: BJJ & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    judoforum has some good things to say about him.

http://www.google.com/search?source=...=Google+Search

http://judoforum.com/index.php?showtopic=6042

As for the two hours...you'll definitely improve, especially if you're a noob, but just at relatively slower rate.

poser

Posted On:
    9/22/2007 10:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the links, VF.

On another thread, it was mentioned that Parnell Legros has two people on the world team. I have noticed many, many good players come from his club - the St. Legers, Darius, Garlyne, Nanoushka. I believe Dynell Pinder, Gerard Cadet are also from there. From what I have seen of his coaching, he is extremely positive with his players. They also seem to be just really, really nice people. I have only seen him at tournaments, but he seems to be very focused on his players, with specific recommendations for each of them to improve
    Sounds like a good guy to me.

Martial and Sexual Artist

Posted On:
    9/23/2007 1:09pm

supporting member
     Style: standup to ground

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why would you assume something would be wrong with him?

It's judo man. It's pretty hard to fake it.

You guys go overboard with the bullshido paranoia

poser

Posted On:
    9/23/2007 2:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know basically nothing about grappling. I was more asking about whether he's just "some guy" or if he's a big name who just keeps a low e-profile.

But honestly, I think I might rather learn BJJ anyway, because i hear the Judo ruleset is kind of restrictive (no leg locks, only 10 seconds on the ground, limited ne-waza training... it reminds me of point sparring which is one reason I'm getting sick of TKD). Either that or SAMBO (throws + wider BJJ-like ruleset should = win, right? or are my facts messed up?), but the nearest SAMBO schools are like an hour away in Manhattan or further in Brooklyn, New Jersey, or Long Island, along with most of the other good/respectable martial arts schools in the NY metro area.

Pingo

Posted On:
    9/23/2007 2:27pm

Style: BJJ & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo is not comparable with TKD point sparring, infidel. The newaza training for judo in general is definitely not as good as BJJ, but then again, the standup grappling in BJJ tends to be way below that of judo. With limited judo experience, I can consistently take down BJJ-only guys who have been training for quite a deal longer than I have.

Really, it's all about what you want - do you want to have good ground grappling, or do you want to have good standup grappling? Also, school > style, because training varies quite a bit from school to school.
    Last edited by ViciousFlamingo; 9/23/2007 2:31pm at .

poser

Posted On:
    9/24/2007 7:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And since I really can't decide whether I want stand-up or ground more, I'm probably going to go with BJJ because there are more schools for it in the area, and they all have more than two classes per week.

Thanks again.

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    9/24/2007 9:28pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Parnell is great and a good coach. Have him show you uchi mata from the front.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    9/25/2007 1:42am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On his first day? You bastard...

Posted On:
    9/25/2007 12:30pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You'll make progress doing one two-hour class a week. I'm a once to twice a weeker and have improved drastically over the last two years. The guys that I started with who go a lot more often have definitely progressed more, but I can destroy noobs and at least hang with some of the more advanced people, which is something that I couldn't have prayed for when I first started.

What I find hardest is to maintain my grappling conditioning. If I don't do some workouts at home, I get somewhat sore after most classes. Doing a bunch of bodyweight squats, crunches, neck bridges and burpees on my own really help to alleviate that issue.
    Last edited by Ryno; 9/25/2007 12:34pm at .
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast