I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    9/22/2007 7:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Ohhhh my sternum..help!

I went to the Karo Parysian seminar today in Toronto (instead of observing Yom Kippur like a good Jew)

And God punished me by having Karo's 240+ assistant demonstrate to me the proper way to stop a low shoot with a tai otoshi, in which you land on the other person chest. Or in my case right on my fricken sternum.

I am realy sore as hell I don't think I cracked anything (can you crack the sternum?)

I am lathered in Tiger balm and taking motrin.

I am pretty sure there's really nothing to do but does anyone have any advice or thoughts?

On a side note my back ironicly feels pretty good, but maybe thats just the other pain taking over.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    9/22/2007 7:33pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Duuuuuude!!! Ok, once you let the tiger balm evaporate, ice it. Ice the **** out of it and take Ibuprofen (or some other NSAID) around the clock. If that pain in your sternum is still excrutiating by Monday, go see a doc, just in case.

Better safe than sorry, so go see a doc. But I think icying would do you better than tiger balm or heat.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Prophet of Apathy

Posted On:
    9/22/2007 7:37pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Soju - Joe
    I went to the Karo Parysian seminar today in Toronto (instead of observing Yom Kippur like a good Jew)

And God punished me by having Karo's 240+ assistant demonstrate to me the proper way to stop a low shoot with a tai otoshi, in which you land on the other person chest. Or in my case right on my fricken sternum.

I am realy sore as hell I don't think I cracked anything (can you crack the sternum?)

I am lathered in Tiger balm and taking motrin.

I am pretty sure there's really nothing to do but does anyone have any advice or thoughts?

On a side note my back ironicly feels pretty good, but maybe thats just the other pain taking over.
    It's pretty hard to fracture the sternum but it is possible and when it happens it's usually pretty catastrophic. In the absence of a scan you can try compressing your ribs from the side as hard as you can (probably easier for someone else to do it on you). If this hurts like hell in your sternum - see a doctor, get an XRay and/or CT.

There's other stuff that could be involved like ribs so you need to be pretty precise about where the pain is. If it's in the top 1/2 or 1/3 of the sternum, directly in the middle (not off to the side where the ribs join) it's probably the sternum.

Best treatment for a simple contusion is to avoid repeated impact. Rest from grappling for a week or so and when you get back, protect it. Rugby players sometimes wear special guards like these...

I'm sure NFL or hockey has something similar. Or you can make your own out of high density foam and strap it on for training.

Posted On:
    9/22/2007 8:14pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am pretty sure it's just bruised or I would be at the hospital. I have a low tolerance for pain and if I don't move around it doesn't bug me too much

I'll start icing it and see what happens

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/22/2007 8:38pm

Style: .45ACP & Confusion

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am not saying that the ice, Tiger Balm, and NSAIDs are bad; but if itís broke than these things wont un-break it.

When I was a teenager I watched too much MTV and X Games. I got into roller bladeing and thought I was the ****. I tried to maneuver a stair case, fell, and broke my sternum. It was the worst fucking pain I have ever felt. I could barely breathe. I went to the ER and they basically told me that there wasnít a whole lot they could do. Ordered me to bed rest and gave me pain killers.

If your sternum is broke youíll know it, you wont have to ask.

Posted On:
    9/24/2007 5:16am

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Sternum is pretty hard to break and it does a brilliant job of linking the ribs to protect the Heart. Being accident-prone, I was once in the passenger seat of a Maruti (Suzuki mini-van) with a mid-mounted engine. The front of the veh, was really the front. At 10PM, one night, and just outside Ajmer (on the edge of the Thar Desert) I noticed something on our side of the road. The headlights weren't too effective and we were being dazzled by the lights of the 10 tonners coming our way. The local driver flashed the headlights to warn the 10 tonners, who ignored us. I was fairly sure now that the "something" was a trailer but there was something hanging off the back of it. BANG!

It was a railway sleeper that smashed straight through the windscreen and run up my body and into my face. It had bounced off my Sternum before it appeared before my eyes. My thought was: "I'm dead".

I won't elaborate further but my point is that my Sternum took the full force of the log. We had been travelling at some speed (not too fast though, India's an, er, interesting country, when hitting the trailer brought us too a sudden stop.

You are probably all right albeit somewhat sore, so hopefully this will help to put your Mind at Rest. Follow Teh El Macho's advice and see how it goes.

Otherwise for muscular aches (no muscle on the Sternum) ice 10mins per 2 hours. Wrap first in damp cloth and apply. If no ice, bag of peas from the freezer, wrapped in damp cloth. Don't keep it on for too long or the body will probably overact and send more blood and everything will 'blow up'. Anti-inflammatories are good.

I also use (phonetic spelling) Jeng Gu Shway, which is also Chinese Trad Med and similar to Tiger Balm but better.

Good Luck.

Posted On:
    9/24/2007 6:56am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am still sore but much better today so nothing is broken, ice, motrin, and tiger balm seem to be the ticket.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    9/24/2007 8:10am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As long as it's not an alien chewing its way out, I guess you are good :P
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    9/24/2007 10:19am

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    Now, that was funny. I did laugh (and I got some strange looks as people thought I was working). :-)

Posted On:
    9/24/2007 12:33pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho

I think tiger balm kills aliens