Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    9/23/2007 11:01pm

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To the OP: Oh Shiiiiit! Why did I never notice that my training was **** because someone might punch me in the nuts!

TO answer your question: there is absolutely no way of dealing with dirty fighting in BJJ. Not one of the five classes I took dealt with people punching you in the balls or biting whatever. I can only assume that the next time I take mount on someone, they will magically grow a fist out of their navel and punch me in the 'nads, lowering my brains within reach of their shark jaws.

Seriously though, have you ever rolled with someone who is good at BJJ, Judo, Wrestling or Sambo? Try it sometime and watch for the opportunities to hit groins or gouge eyes.

In fact, make the grappler wear swim goggles and then try to get your hands on their eyes. See how that works out for you.
    "[Fighting for Points] is doubtless very pretty, and invariably draws applause, but preferences should always be given to blows that do some business, to good straight hits that do something toward finishing the fight.
    A man who has carefully trained for brilliant tapping play, will find himself considerably out of it in case he is called upon to do any real work."
    -A.J. Newton, Boxing.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    9/24/2007 12:21am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Posted On:
    9/24/2007 12:45am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To the opening poster: Please do bujinkan.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2007 10:05am

Style: tkd, kickboxing, bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I always were a cod piece which acts like a nut cup punny groin shots have no effect on me. As for eye gouges, I wear glasses made of shatter proof material, so all an eye gouge would do is smudge my glasses which would just make me mad and make me want to shove my cod piece into someones face.

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    9/24/2007 2:08pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by polishillusion
    iphone cant fucking log in to bullshido? only stuck on Plasma's name?

Fucking terrible.

Moron. If I posted it obviously it can log in. And his hands were full on buffalo wings so I posted for him.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    9/24/2007 4:09pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My serious note: I actually train all the dirty fighting stuff (except for biting because I haven't found a reasonably safe way to do so) at a slow paced standup "sparring" type drill. At a lower intensity level where both people are comfortable, I work in headbutts, thumbs to the eyes, web hands to the throat, striking all sides of the neck, wrenching the shoulder and elbow, cupped hand strikes to the eardrums, straight kicks to the knee, chopping the kidneys (from a clinch position with at least one underhook), and strikes to the groin (I attack the inside thigh for safety). Sometimes we even work in things like folding knife drones (usually we know that we each have one, so you are attempting to stop them from drawing a weapon as you attack them and try to draw your own). I find this to be very useful, because I don't totally buy into the "just add dirt" argument- if you never train to deal with these things, they may catch you off guard, and you probably won't intuitively apply these things if you never train them. Now for the downside of this type of training:
    First of all, this does not replace high intensity sparring with safe methods (either padded standup or conventional grappling). For higher intensity, I do san da and moving step. Things like boxing, kickboxing, MT, sanshou, grappling etc are the only things that develop the correct energy or intensity. low intensity sparring with dirty strikes is a supplement to good old fashioned hard training. Also, I don't think it is a totally necessary type of training. Outside of the clinch, these things are all defendable using conventional standup defense- a finger jab can be blocked like a regular jab. Its not totally necessary to train for the possibilities, and if you train for competition your time can be better spent doing conventional training (I only train for tournaments occasionally, not on a regular basis).
    One more thing: I rarely meet anyone who goes on and on about dirty fighting rarely does any of the vaguely live training that I do- they do kempo/san soo/etc type structured drills, so they are even farther removed from actual fighting, no matter how fast they go through some routine or how loud the kiais are.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/25/2007 2:23pm

Style: TSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I grappled with someone who tried to use biting to escape a wrist lock once. It made me twist his wrist further and then he tapped. I don't think that a bite would have any effect on someone in a real fight with adrenalin in full flow.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/25/2007 4:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In my limited judo and BJJ training, we didn't deal with "dirty" stuff like groin strikes and biting. The point that's been made a few times about biting not getting you out of a mount and such are quite valid, but I would like to study a little dirty stuff, especially the groin strike. It doesn't have to be defensive either, if you're trying to mount someone on the street and he's got you in half guard, a nice knee to the groin might be quite effect. Or even from a mounted position, following a hip bump oopa thing (I did this once accidentally, dude was in pain). Still though, moves that just bring pain will never be as effective as moves that bring position.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456