Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: BJJ injuries???

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

BJJ injuries???

Hey all

I recently (January 2007) broke my nose and had to have reconstructive surgery.

I am a huuuuuuuge MMA and BJJ fan.

I was thinking of slowly starting to train BJJ, and just wanted to know if nose (or face for that matter) injuries occur frequently while training.

I mean I know accidents happen and I could imagine going for triangle chokes and armbars might result in taking a knee to the face etc. but I just wanted to know from ppl who have actually been training for a while if these sort of injuries happen often

GhostOfKimura
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido, the best Martial Arts forum on the entire Internet, arianjun. Seriously, you won't regret your choice to join us. We're a great bunch of folks, except for Hannibal. And Sirc. And TaiGip. And MMA Kid. And... well, you get the point.

Style
    Muay Thai/BJJ/Boxing/MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not really, the main thing is The ears...lol...But with just having reconstructive surgery, it might be different rules for you...Is your nose still as strong as it was?

Style
    Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by arianjun
    Hey all
    I was thinking of slowly starting to train BJJ, and just wanted to know if nose (or face for that matter) injuries occur frequently while training.

I mean I know accidents happen and I could imagine going for triangle chokes and armbars might result in taking a knee to the face etc. but I just wanted to know from ppl who have actually been training for a while if these sort of injuries happen often
    I've only trained about 2 years or so in BJJ, but in my experience, I've not suffered any major face injuries. I've had some mild black-eyes, bruises, and bloodied lip on occasion, but that's about all (oh, and the occasional shot to the junk...)

Most of the injuries just occur as a result of a slight clash, gi-rubbing/burn, etc. This is from pure BJJ Gi and no-gi rolling, however, NOT MMA-style sparring.

Most of my other injuries have been (thankfully_ relatively light joint sprains from Armbars Gone Wild, and neck and shoulder pain...

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well the surgeon said that broken bones take approx one yr before they are back to 100%

I don't know if I agree with that though....seems like an awful long time....

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The training includes the following:

Pure Gi/No Gi BJJ, wrestling and Judo

So it is very grappling oriented as I do not feel i am ready for any type striking just yet.

Style
    BJJ - SBGi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not agreeing with a surgeon who does it for a living is maybe not the best idea.... I would say let him decide how long you should take to heal, and in the mean time, go slow and then ramp up as you get stronger.

Style
    BJJ/MT
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have Injured my nose while doing BJJ... Underneath side control I was trying a sweep where I bridge them off of me, unfortunately I did it wrong and flipped the guy over where the side of his body landed on my nose, crushing it. Don't do that. There is also the chance of slipping and catching a knee to the nose while working butterfly or spider guards. And a crossface is not going to feel good. if your nose is healing for a few months chances are you are going to be OK... these kind of things happen once in a blue moon.

Style
    BJJ, MT, Yoga
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I broke my hand during a hip sweep.

I Ducked Out on a Gong Sau
    Style
    Gentleman Adventurer
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I was in your situation, I'd follow the doctor's advice and wait till your nose heals up.

In the meanwhile, I'd work on my strength and cardio.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last