Our Sponsors:

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/22/2007 12:42pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Samurai Jack was indeed awesome. Some of the episodes were silly fun, but others (the one is in all white and fights an all black ninja) were fucking art. I don't think I ever saw the whole series, and you folks have inspired me to check it out.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh30raDlWrk

The song is lame...but the imagery is pretty cool.

During my wife's cousin's wedding, I was stuck in a hotel room alone for most of the day. It just so happened that a Naruto marathon was on Cartoon Network...

These shows are like crack.

This is why our nation is steadily falling into obesity and inactivity. Not because of fast food, bigger portions, or a lack of exercise...but because TV is just too damn entertaining.

Rowsdower!

Posted On:
    9/22/2007 1:35pm

Join us... or die
     Style: On Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Naruto (the anime) was okay, at least up until the point where they started doing oodles of crappy filler episodes. I know that the show is back on track with the canonical storyline, but I just couldn't bring myself to start watching it again. Also, the show seems to suffer from the DBZ syndrome in which events that should only last one or two episodes get stretched out to obscene length, with lots of people standing around spouting unnecessary rhetoric. Also, every protagonist in the series seems to have some kind of trump card that they pull every time they get in serious trouble (like Choji and his "pills"). I can't say whether or not the latest episodes or any good, but I've neither the time nor the inclination to wade through them.

Also, Avatar is the bee's knees. It's very well-paced and has some great voice acting; if I recall correctly, the show's voice casting director is Andrea Romano, who did the casting for all of the Timm/Dini DCAU series. Also, the show never speaks down to the audience, which I think is one of the key reasons that it's so popular. It's the quintessential "family" program.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/23/2007 1:35am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The difference in pacing is easily explained. Avatar is produced as a cartoon, they can write the story line as they create episodes, but DBZ (and maybe Naruto?) were based on manga, and they had to slow down to keep pace with the release of the manga.

I mean, I think that's what my little cousin said... yeah.

Rowsdower!

Posted On:
    9/23/2007 1:39am

Join us... or die
     Style: On Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's no reason they couldn't have just kept the anime series at a normal pace and put the show on hiatus at regular intervals in order to allow a buffer between the anime and the manga.

Oh wait, yes there is... money! Darn those wily Japanese!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/23/2007 8:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    shootfighter tekken is pretty good, youtube search "shootfighter tekken episode" to watch it

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/23/2007 9:54pm

Style: in hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Melkolmr
    The difference in pacing is easily explained. Avatar is produced as a cartoon, they can write the story line as they create episodes, but DBZ (and maybe Naruto?) were based on manga, and they had to slow down to keep pace with the release of the manga.

I mean, I think that's what my little cousin said... yeah.
    Yeah, that's true, espicially for DBZ. They base every episode on a chapter from the manga. Only problem is that basing an episode on the chapter only takes like 15 min. SO they have to make the episode long enough by adding scenes that weren't in the manga, having long pauses, making trival stuff even more important and streching out the fights to the point where they weren't even fun to watch. My friends and I used to make fun of the fact that they spend 10 episodes of DBZ talking and powering up and spending like half an episode fighting with dialouge and pauses in between fights.

So that's why Avatar owns. To be honest,I have only seen a few random episodes from time to time and I really enjoyed it but I never got the exact sequence of events so I am going to catch up on the stuff I missed out on. BTW, thanks meggaman7 for posting up that link.

P.S One of the interesting things that I found out about Avatar is that the movements that the benders do are based on CMA.

Each fighting style was chosen to represent the element it projected:
    • Tai Chi creates flowing energy, and fluid movements to represent water, turning an opponent's force against them.
    • Hung Gar was chosen for its firmly rooted stances, linear patterns, and powerful strikes to represent the solid nature of the earth.
    • Northern Shaolin, which has almost no defensive techniques, uses fast, aggressive attacks to mimic the power of fire.
    • Ba Gua's erratic, circular movements were chosen to represent air's unpredictability and cyclical motion.
    • Chu Gar Praying Mantis has distinguishing movements and unique footwork that are employed by Toph Bei Fong to complement her blindness, giving her an anomalous style of Earthbending.
    :5wow:
    Last edited by boondock lee; 9/23/2007 10:05pm at .

**** you math class

Posted On:
    9/23/2007 9:56pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, Ballet, Archery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's the purpose of an in-depth discussion about bad television other than the cultural peculiarities that turn it into a phenomenon?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/23/2007 10:15pm

Style: in hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MEGA JESUS-SAMA
    What's the purpose of an in-depth discussion about bad television other than the cultural peculiarities that turn it into a phenomenon?
    :f-off:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/23/2007 10:18pm

Style: Boxing, Judo, BJJ, M.T.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I loved the original Dragonball, thought it was hilarious. Plus no goofy powering up and other stuff.

What got me about the Dragonball Z series was how you could just sit around and randomly think of how to get each of them stronger.

They don't have enough time to train.

Answer: The hyperbolic time chamber will give them the time to train!

They'll die in the fight!

Answer: They'll train in heaven and learn super-jutsu and become even stronger! Then the Dragonballs can resurrect them!

They're just not powerful by themselves!

Answer: Let them morph together and form an even more powerful version of themselves!

They can't take that much damage!

Answer: Give them a pill that will heal them!

And the fifteen minutes of screaming followed by Picollo always saying, "There's just too much power!", (the voice actor used to call it the "Oh Jeez" days. All he would come into work and say was "Oh jeez Goku, uh-huh, oh no!")

Other ones:

Bleach: Good initial episodes up until the split with the "Bounto" storyline taking over.

Blood: Cool when the chick is "unleashed", but mostly pointless episodes of her wondering who she is.

Naruto: Can be funny at times, can have great fight scenes at times, (Naruto vs. Sasuke, Naruto vs. Ice Kid), but mostly ends up being the pointless repeat of the exact same moves over and over and over and over and over and over again. The comedy wears thin because the jokes are also rehashed.

Berserk: Okay, so this wasn't a true series, but goddamn it, this series kicked so much ass. I'm not exactly sure how you'd repeat the scene where he goes to hell and watches his girlfriend get raped and murdered while his eye is ripped out, but still....

Gantz: The ultimate in anime as far as I'm concerned. An absolutely twisted series, but it can go over the top, (the ten minute death scene was a bit too much, I mean melodrama wise, the show always goes over the top in gore and shock value).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2007 3:35am

Style: Vale Tudo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    DB: Too full of Japanese humor and the jokes are based on puns, so they don't carry over to English well.

DBZ: Now we're talking, but the fights take too many ep's, so many lose interest.

DBGT: First 8 episodes, total crap. Everything after that, total pwnage.

But really, DBZ and DBGT movies are where it's at. From Tree of Life on to the end, it's good as gold. No slow story, great fights.

As for Naruto or Avatar, I don't like either. Not because they suck, so much as that I am no longer interested in anime. I just can't get into anything anime or anime-like anymore. Bleh. But, Naruto is Fist of the North Star for a new generation: "Flying Side Kick of Total Death! HYAH!"...translates to "Rock Throwing Taijutsu!!" Same formula.

PS: Anyone who knows what FotNS is...we're dating ourselves a bit, aren't we? So sad to think about...............
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast