Our Sponsors:

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 7 LastLast

Posted On:
    10/06/2007 3:47pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: ju jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You don't necessariy have to do "free-sparring" in order to have a good education. You do, however need to test your technique in some pseudo-random attacks in order to assure that you are able to respond under some sort of mild pressure to perform. This ramps up as you progress in your style. (I am not a practitioner of karate- I practice taiho style ju-jitsu- that is, practical self-defense, usually taught to Japanese police.) It IS a good read. I look forward to more installments.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    10/06/2007 4:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PrivateI
    You don't necessariy have to do "free-sparring" in order to have a good education. You do, however need to test your technique in some pseudo-random attacks in order to assure that you are able to respond under some sort of mild pressure to perform. This ramps up as you progress in your style. (I am not a practitioner of karate- I practice taiho style ju-jitsu- that is, practical self-defense, usually taught to Japanese police.) It IS a good read. I look forward to more installments.
    Please read the stickies and FAQs.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/21/2007 5:00am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin
    i'll show you something epic !!
    What??? Ronin was here? Now if The Wastrel and HAPKO3 and Fisting Kittens and Deus and PeedeeShaolin and Mercurius and CT show up we can have an epic circle jerk.

Oh, my bad, Hap is still around.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    10/21/2007 11:08am

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Wastrel will never return because Omega crippled him with a gotarded guard pass and now he is incapable of training. Just thought I'd toss that out there.
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Posted On:
    11/16/2007 10:44pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Goju Ryu - RyuSyoKai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great story Boyd,, I went through much the same, but unfortunately I was in my late 40's and shoulda known better.. enjoyed the read!

Posted On:
    1/07/2008 10:14am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Isshinryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Awesome read, Aaron. My experiences were not a whole lot different. We sparred at my school though, man we beat the livin hell out of each other though we often "reverted" to more natural ways of doing things which aggravated my sensei to no end.

Though things like that damned "piston" punch proved to be effective when executed with speed and surprise it would almost every sparring session get you zinged up because it leaves you TOTALY friggin OOOPEN. Those long side kicks in which your body had to be level with the leg were in deed powerful but a) in my experience, rarely could you land the damn things and even more rarely, cleanly. b) you would lose sight of your target for just long enough for them to move where you donít expect them to end up and you know what happens after that. As far as those stances, they were the heart of the moves and they made you feel like you meant business but truth is they lock you in ... you cant change direction fast and you would be vulnerable to being knocked off balance if even nudged at the right angle.

For all that I have knocked it I can say that the Seisan Kata alone gave me at least two techniques I used in real world and against my new BJJ fellow practitioners with good to reasonable effect. I ve got a few from the other katas that are indeed very viable techniques that have worked in sparring sessions to at least some effect but not with the awesomeness that my teachers constantly insisted they would. All in all this system, for me, is lacking decent kicks and the fact that it has absolutely no ground work alone makes this style far from a complete fighting system.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/07/2008 12:04pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowofhanzo
    the fact that it has absolutely no ground work alone makes this style far from a complete fighting system.
    Isshinryu does include newaza and nagewaza as part of its curriculum. Some schools might not practice them, but they are definately part of the Isshinryu system. Many top Isshinryu instructors studied or even taught Judo or Jujutsu prior to taking up Isshinryu. As for Isshinryu "lacking decent kicks", that really doesn't make much sense. Isshinryu essentially uses the same exact kicks as everyone else, although they are rarely thrown towards the head.

Posted On:
    1/07/2008 5:32pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It doesn't matter that Isshin-Ryu "has" groundfighting if no one trains it, no one teaches it, and the curriculum is just a towering column of semisolid feces. And the flicky snap kicks are terrible. The big push kick thrown from inside the clinch could theoretically work if Isshin-Ryu had even a rudimentary concept of clinching. I trained a decent round kick (shin to leg or ribs) maybe once, it was taught incorrectly, and none of the black belts I asked knew how to check it.

Isshin-Ryu blows. So, so hard.
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Posted On:
    1/07/2008 5:36pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BONUS "WORST TECHNIQUES EVER" MINI-SIDEBAR DIRECTOR'S COMMENTARY: I was taught to throw a big, stomach-level push kick in response to a double lapel grab as one of my daily fundamentals. It's not that awful an idea in theory, which is why it never made the list. I've never tried it, but I imagine if I was clinching with someone in a real fight in a tightly-confined area I'd probably try to stomp on his knee or something. The problem is the move isn't stomping on his knee, it's bringing the foot back and delivering a huge dramatic THIS IS SPARTA kick while a guy grabs your lapels. There are counters to this.

Posted On:
    1/07/2008 8:12pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaTrocity
    Well you are a man and real womyn know that all men are rapists. Maybe you've never raped a girl physically but when you fantasize about womyn without their permission you're committing mental rape.
    This is a joke, right? Do I gotta call Salma Hayek and apologize?
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 7 LastLast