Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 67 LastLast

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    9/30/2007 12:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I was in middle school a guest lecturer came in and told me I had a "rapists' mentality", so I think I know a little about this topic.
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Posted On:
    10/01/2007 1:06am

Style: Muay Thai n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boyd
    When I was in middle school a guest lecturer came in and told me I had a "rapists' mentality", so I think I know a little about this topic.
    Did hey make you go to those weekly Guidance Councelor meetings, I hated those...:godtroll:

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    10/01/2007 1:51am

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boyd

Well you are a man and real womyn know that all men are rapists. Maybe you've never raped a girl physically but when you fantasize about womyn without their permission you're committing mental rape.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/04/2007 2:27pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    An Issinryu dojo that doesn't spar? That's really sad. In our Isshinryu school we spent at least 30 minutes each class. White belts started with (what was supposed to be) no-contact, although lack of control often meant getting hammered. By the time one reached black belt, it was essentially full contact. We routinely had minor injuries and a few trips to the emergency room, but it was a great way to learn.

Many people dropped out of class as soon as they were allowed to spar. After a few days of learning the basics, students were basically thrown into fighting. Most found it intimidating and many just quit. Once the fight started, beginners basically resorted to streetfighting. I had several students remark that they felt like their opponent was really trying to hurt them. I responded "they probably are."

With every new group, we had at least one student that would beat the crap out of the other beginners. Rather than telling them to lighten up, they were simply paired with increasingly higher ranks. Most of them quit, but the ones that stuck it out got promoted at an accelerated rate.

Our instructor was a former Jersey City Golden Gloves champion and a student of Don Nagle, who was friends with and shared a dojo with champion judoka Ernest Cates. Our training was a bit exteme, but it worked. Eventually, my instructor quit teaching for fear of being sued. He wanted to teach the same way he was taught, but that wasn't compatible with our modern litigious society.

Of course sparring doesn't have to be that extreme, but I always found it to be the most beneficial and enjoyable part of class. There is no substitute for a live opponent. If that opponent is really trying to hurt you, you either get good really fast...or you get hurt.
    Last edited by DojoWeb; 10/05/2007 1:00pm at .

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/04/2007 2:45pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    DojoWeb, what was the name of your instructor?
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Baracknophobic

Posted On:
    10/04/2007 2:53pm

supporting member
     Style: JackOAllTradesMasterONone

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    NONE OF YOUR BEESWAX

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/04/2007 4:31pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    DojoWeb, what was the name of your instructor?
    Mike Wadiak. He was a student of Don Nagle.

Posted On:
    10/04/2007 4:41pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KhorneliusPraxx
    NONE OF YOUR BEESWAX
    Hahahaha!
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/04/2007 4:51pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    Hahahaha!
    Is this some sort of inside joke?

Posted On:
    10/04/2007 5:02pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kinda :)

Welcome aboard :)

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 67 LastLast