Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/21/2007 10:39am

Style: Judo - Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uri Shatil
    To answer that, you need but peak at FILA's wiki article.

The International Federation of Associated Wrestling Styles, also known in French as Fédération Internationale des Luttes Associées (FILA), is an international wrestling federation that holds events around the world. It is the governing body of international amateur wrestling.

FILA is the governing body a amateur wrestling. Judo is not amateur wrestling. Sambo is arguable, but they decided to include it.
    I read that, but being Wikipedia I wasn't going to take that straight as it is. It's probably a combination of that and what Roninpimp mentioned.
    "Keep a sharp knife, shiny boots and be on time."

BJJ Black Belt

Posted On:
    9/21/2007 1:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Rex Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why isn't Judo wrestling???

My pleasure.

Posted On:
    9/21/2007 2:16pm

Join us... or die
     Style: yang taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Only hooker were meant to kill on their back that's why.
    Sumus extra manum tuam.

I'm not witty enough for this custom title.

Posted On:
    9/22/2007 6:23pm

Style: In Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uri Shatil
    To answer that, you need but peak at FILA's wiki article.

The International Federation of Associated Wrestling Styles, also known in French as Fédération Internationale des Luttes Associées (FILA), is an international wrestling federation that holds events around the world. It is the governing body of international amateur wrestling.

FILA is the governing body a amateur wrestling. Judo is not amateur wrestling. Sambo is arguable, but they decided to include it.

From what information I've been able to dig up, beach wrestling is something of a cultural revolution started by college wrestlers on spring or summer break. The rules are heavily simplified, and the arena is somewhat smaller. There is no scoring system. Just one pin or two near-falls for victory.
    The terms "wrestling" and "grappling" can be used interchangebly to classify all styles of martial arts that primarily make use of holds, chokes, joint locks, throws, takedowns, pins, etc.

That includes Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Judo, SAMBO, Greco-Roman, Freestyle, American Folkstyle, Khurash, Shai Jiao, Sumo, Kampfringen, Japanese Jujitsu, catch-as-catch-can, etc.

Judo is wrestling. Specifically, Judo is a Japanese form of jacket wrestling using throws, takedowns, pins, chokes, and armlocks for both sport and self defense situations.

The reason FILA doesn't promote Judo, is, I believe, because another organization already does that, and is in charge of it. For anyone interested, there are also seperate movements promoting amateur sumo and khurash for the Olympics.

P.S. I think FILA added beach wrestling to help promote and revive the grappling arts in the West, but I cannot determine how this 'sport' started. It's interesting though, I've previously thought about joining one of these tournaments, but there aren't any in Michigan.
    Last edited by krazy kaju; 9/22/2007 6:25pm at .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12