Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    9/20/2007 10:14am

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Cheap foldout mats to get college club started?

I'm trying to get an informal grappling club started at the college where I work. We dont' have much funding and we need mats. Anyone know the best place to by cheap mats?

Also, what thickness do you think is best? I want to be able to work throws so I was thinking 2 inch. but would it be better to get 1.35 and a throw mat when needed?
    "a martial art that has no rules is nothing but violence" - Kenji Tomiki

Pseudo-Scrambler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    9/20/2007 10:59am

supporting member
     Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.dollamur.com/store/store_main.html

I like these, but they may not be the cheapest. an old-school roll out wrestling mat is probably the cheapest for the size.

You can practice most throws on any mat with proper ukemi, but for certain high injury risk throws (like a suplex) it'd be best to have a crash-mat regardless to avoids injuries.

Posted On:
    9/20/2007 12:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Those are very cool. I'm not sure they work for our situation, we will have to take up and put down the mats every class, so I was looking for something with velcro so the mats wouldn't slide apart while training. Taping really isn't an option because we will be taking the mats back up every class.

Currently, I'm looking at these http://mancinomats.com/martialarts/series200.htm

Martial and Sexual Artist

Posted On:
    9/21/2007 12:14pm

supporting member
     Style: standup to ground

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I use a used resilite mat in my house, I roll it up when not using it as put it in the shed.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/21/2007 12:24pm

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    check with your school's other clubs that use mats, i dont know how yours is. but we aikido has their mats int he same storage as us, as does the wrestling club. if your club can't afford mats, and the other clubs are overly protective of their own, you may be able to borrow them during offtimes.

Pseudo-Scrambler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    9/21/2007 12:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FictionPimp
    Those are very cool. I'm not sure they work for our situation, we will have to take up and put down the mats every class, so I was looking for something with velcro so the mats wouldn't slide apart while training. Taping really isn't an option because we will be taking the mats back up every class.

Currently, I'm looking at these http://mancinomats.com/martialarts/series200.htm

Ah, I see.

Those mats kinda suck (I unfortunately have previous experience with them, lol), but they're definitely better then nothing, and you'll be hard pressed to find anything cheaper.

Posted On:
    9/21/2007 12:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Longhorn
    check with your school's other clubs that use mats, i dont know how yours is. but we aikido has their mats int he same storage as us, as does the wrestling club. if your club can't afford mats, and the other clubs are overly protective of their own, you may be able to borrow them during offtimes.
    We dont' have any other clubs on campus that use mats. We have a TKD club, but they just use the room we are going to use. It looks like I might be footing the bill for about 1800.00 in mats. Them be the breaks I guess.

I just want to get people excited about the martial arts in a positive way, then if they are serious about it, ship them off to my instructors in the area.

Posted On:
    9/21/2007 1:09pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fiction Pimp, how many club members will you have? I'd try to get them to chip in to help with the expense, if at all possible. Then when noobs join, make them pay some kind of dues to help cover the rest.

Another option to consider is to look for any regional Judo tournaments. Up here there's a big one in November, and they'll be selling the Zebra mats afterwards for something like a 30% discount immediately afterwards. The tourney organizers would prefer to sell the mats to local folks, than to have to pay to ship the rented mats back. So as a purchaser you end up getting high quality competition mats at a discount, and don't have to pay for steep shipping prices.

Posted On:
    9/21/2007 3:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've got 2 people really down for it (they already train) and a few people who are interested, but want to watch first. The problem being, I have no place nearby to show them (My club is well over 50 miles away).

One solution is for me and my 2 cohorts to each buy a 5x10 mat. That should be enough space for some careful sparing (probably no standup work) and more then enough for throws and normal drills. Then we can charge newcomers a fee to help get more mats. That puts the cost at about 300 for each of us. But we are really trying to get this thing going.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/21/2007 3:39pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most MA clubs at my school charge $50-$60 per semester to pay for supplies, so you could probably have a nice set of mats within a couple semesters if you did that and got a dozen two people to sign up
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast