Is Krav Maga as good as they say.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/21/2007 3:17am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing, KB, CMA, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't image an commercial business being as good as "they" say. But there is enough footage on you tube for you to see for yourself. If you are impressed with it, then it might be worth your money. Anything is better than nothing at all.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/21/2007 7:20am

Style: Krav Maga/ Judo noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let me help you out.

step 1. Go get into a fight in some ally, street, club and or prision cell.

step 2. Pica some MA and study it

step 3. repeat step 1.

step 4. relise that no amount of training in MA's in the world will matter if you don't have the mind set to do harm to another human being.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/21/2007 12:11pm

Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mad_malk
    Let me help you out.

step 1. Go get into a fight in some ally, street, club and or prision cell.

step 2. Pica some MA and study it

step 3. repeat step 1.

step 4. relise that no amount of training in MA's in the world will matter if you don't have the mind set to do harm to another human being.
    Finally an attitude on "realistic fighting" that I can agree with.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/22/2007 3:55am

Style: TMA, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have to agree with madmalk as well. I was a great tournament fighter. That doesn't matter if I ever get into a real fight though. All the technical ability in the world doesn't matter if you don't have the mindset to use it.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/25/2007 1:16am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've done steps 1-3 many times. Step 4 if hurting is killing I put some thought in to that while in the military.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/30/2007 4:36pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kung fu San Soo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That inane concept pretty well sums up the arguing, politics, disrespecting, bad-mouthing and overall bullshit that surrounds the controversy of traditional martial arts vs." real fighting Nobody 'owns' the TRUTH about martial arts and self-defense. Nobody can teach you the "true" version of a martial art. This brings us to the idea of "martial arts" being about "warrior" training and have the mindset to use it.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/02/2007 4:11pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: IDPA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Krav Maga has been a popular subject since the Human Weapon episode on the history channel aired a few weeks back. The most impressive thing about it IMO is that (unless I'm just woefully uninformed) there is not a companion "sport" for Krav Maga. To me that says strictly a martial art. Like those who have posted before me though I agree that in order for anything to work (CS, bat, knife, gun) you've got to want to hurt him worse than he wants to hurt you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2007 4:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Is Krav Maga as good as they say?"...depends on what you are looking for

KM is a great entry into self defense. If you have a limited time to develop a basic set of SD skills, KM would be a lovely staring point. Now after 6 months of regular training you may want to branch out to some other/additional training. I have observed 2 different schools in SoCal. Both are well regarded and taught by long time instructors. The training is very physical (I'm saying this from a JKD, muay thai background). Constant motion and banging on pads is the norm (great!). There are techniques not katas or forms. The movements are simple and to the point.

KM is not structured for MMA or competition, please do not mix apples and oranges. It's not that the techniques are "too deadly for the ring" or any BS. More to the point competitions work under a defined set of rules and point acquisition schemes, KM does not teach/train for that. Example, in a KM class you will not spend time learning subs or spending time dominating from the mount. After all if your attacker has hit the floor, it's time to boogie on out of there. The goal is self defense not gainning positional dominance, pinning or subbing some one. The KM instructors I've spoken with have a great deal of respect for the training and conditioning in MMA settings. One of the law enforcement KM instructors I met cross trains in BJJ not only for techniques but for enjoyment (he's also looking for some good kali work too).

Reports of quality vary from school to school. Make sure you observe a class and talk with some of the students and the instructor (ask about background).

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    10/03/2007 5:50pm

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Krav Maga teacher's licenses are too easy to get. It may be hard core in the Shin Bet and Mossad circles, but what in that region isn't. It is highly commercialized and is the epitome of Bullshido. What you get with Krav Maga is questionable quality at premium prices.

I briefly attended a Krav Maga class in Bellevue, WA and had to keep pretending to cough to cover up my laughing. It was a joke. The fact that I'm a systema practitioner (many here consider systema and ninjitsu to be on the same level,) makes the fact that I find Krav Maga to be absurd even worse, like a retarded kid calling you stupid. I'd honestly reccomend the bullshido trifecta as general SD, Muay Thai, BJJ for sure, and round it out with a little pistolcraft.
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast