Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/25/2007 4:24pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

LaTourette

As a former student at LaTourettes currently active school, I can attest to some of what I believe to be bullshit. As for his blackbelts, He has four. 5th dan Tae Kwan Do, 10th dan Kenpo 10th dan Yi Chi Mu Kung Fu (his own style), 1st dan Judo. All of his sertificates Are posted in his school in plain sight. He was indeed trained in Korea by Koreans. He has the photos and documentation (and super knuckle) to prove it. As a somewhat of a con? Perhaps. As for his blackbelts,(his students) I know a few and been trained by some including his son. As for his being a serius martial artist, he and his school are serius. No McDojo here.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/25/2007 6:53pm

Style: Tae Kwon Do, Aikido, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What is the governing body for his Tae Kwon Do dan rank? as for certificates... I can get one for almost any style that I would like on Ebay.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/26/2007 2:40pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rbasslines
    As a former student at LaTourettes currently active school, I can attest to some of what I believe to be bullshit. As for his blackbelts, He has four. 5th dan Tae Kwan Do, 10th dan Kenpo 10th dan Yi Chi Mu Kung Fu (his own style), 1st dan Judo. All of his sertificates Are posted in his school in plain sight. He was indeed trained in Korea by Koreans. He has the photos and documentation (and super knuckle) to prove it. As a somewhat of a con? Perhaps. As for his blackbelts,(his students) I know a few and been trained by some including his son. As for his being a serius martial artist, he and his school are serius. No McDojo here.
    John La Tourrette promoted himself to 10th Dan in a style that has no lineage. So, if he produced the certificate himself or bought it on eBay the result is the same. I'm curious about your statement "Somewhat of con..perhaps". You provide no information to back this statement up. If you are going to post here, then do so. He either is a con, and if you were a student there, you sure as hell do know, or he isn't. So cut the tapdance bullshit and provide the information you have.

Posted On:
    1/05/2008 1:15am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I read LaTorurette's self-published book Master's Kicking Guide Back in the early 80's when I was doing TKD, it was actually quite helpful for my TKD, it really helped clean up my side kick.

In the book, there is an endorsement from Ed Parker, and Kang Yon Ho, 7th Dan Int'l TKD Federation (ITF). The book states he got two TKD black belts (Kuk Mu Kwan & Chin Mu Kwan) by 1969

Can't say that I believe in any of that huna stuff he sells, sounds a bit questionable.

He says "Jack Williams" is his son and runs his website, has anyone else ever met Jack Williams? I heard JW is actually JLT

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/05/2008 3:23am

Style: Tae Kwon Do, Aikido, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Could yo u tell me more about the forward by Yon Ho Kang? How long is it?

Posted On:
    1/05/2008 11:39am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It was just a small blurb with an excerpt from a letter from Kang Yon Ho/ITF, along with KYH's photo. The book says JLT was the first non-Korean to be certified as an instructor in Chin Mu Kwan TKD in 1969.

The book (1982) claims he has two BA degrees from Southern Oregon College and a Dr. of Metaphysics degree from BWT college in Sedalia, CO.

I have read some of his other books and did not like them nearly as much as this one. I saw his YouTube video, not sure what to think about that one.

Posted On:
    1/08/2008 8:06pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

You so called masters of martial arts are not so bright

I had trained with many martial artists and had the opportunity to work out with Dr. LaTourrette and a number of his students in the past. The key to martial arts is to have an open mind and to investigate everything in depth before you criticize something to the extent you have. I just wonder what your motive is. Dr. LaTourrette is a very good martial artist and his techniques do work, maybe not for you, but guess what I bet you have never trained with him. Watching a video when you were in your twenties or even at home does not cut it. I am not some uneducated untrained person, I have been in the MMA business for many years putting on shows throughout the U.S. and England. I have had the opportunity to work out with some of the toughest fighters in the business. I am sure my statement won't change your stand but you know, it really does not matter. I think you need to take what works for you from an instructor and leave the rest, even Dr. John LaTourrette.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/14/2008 5:32pm

Style: shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, I looked at that guy who was number one on the clown list and he got his promotions via video! I almost peed myself laughing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/14/2008 6:32pm

Style: Kyokushin, Boxing, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I got a new book, it's called Black Belt Magazine's ultimate guide to striking.

He has an article on there about speed punching.
    It says he can punch up to 16x per second. Isn't that faster than Bruce Lee???!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/16/2008 10:32am

Style: shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    16X a second....who cares, can he hit hard enough to KO you? I get a kick out of guys that "speed hit" but hit like they are throwing feathers at you. Or slap you around a bit. One good Gonk and they are done..but they can "tap" you 37 times to your punch! Big deal!!!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast