Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/20/2007 12:32am

Style: Inept BJJer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FUNKtastic
    to me it was like the experiment of putting two identical bowls of food an equal distance from a dog; my judo class has more emphasis on stand up, bjj has more emphasis on groundwork but they each do both.

solution--train in both =)
    Yeah, nothing worse than a BJJ vs Judo argument. It's like arguing whether punches are "better" than kicks.

Posted On:
    9/20/2007 2:20am

Style: Muay Thai n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, and we all know Judo kicks BJJ's assssssssss!!!!! ph34r t3h K1mur4

Kidding... Kidding... don't kill me. :cringe:

And your teacher sounds like one smart bloke, my Judo Sensei keeps on telling us "First off: You can't use Judo in fights if you never get into any. Second: Just because you're good in Dojo or Shiai doesn't mean you're good for bar brawls or knife fights."

He goes on but it's mostly the same stuff in the OP.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/20/2007 4:05am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by aaaargh
    Yeah, nothing worse than a BJJ vs Judo argument. It's like arguing whether punches are "better" than kicks.
    BJJ vs JUEDO arguements are far more worst then punches are better than kicks,

its like asking if a hard cover book is better tehn the same book in paperback... theyre good for some conditions but not others.

anyways heres the inspiring judo video with the lame arguements somewhere in there http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkuTkdzVb_0

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    9/20/2007 11:20am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is this the illiterates convention?

Quote Originally Posted by Deadmeat
    I've seen it happen time and again, particularly at my old Gym, which was competitive in MMA.
    People come along, and after a while, maybe six months or so, they begin to develop this overinflated ego, and in some cases an attitude that glorifies streetfighting.

blah blah blah

Luckily for me, it happened in the gym, and the only thing that got hurt was my pride. Not that I thought I was a badass or anything to begin with... I just had a false sense of security, I guess.
    It does happen a lot, one thing that keeps it in check is training partners willing to grind you through the mats.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/20/2007 2:53pm

Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Munacra
    Today's Judo class showed me how much I need a better stand up game. the ole bread and butter double leg wasn't as effective as I thought it would be.

Being humble is a good thing, and nothing is more humbling than being at the receiving end of a good O Goshi.
    I don't know. When I was sparing at the USF judo club yesterday, I had no problem taking someone down several times with a double leg, although granted he was new at grappling in general.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/20/2007 3:56pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by musicalmike235
    I don't know. When I was sparing at the USF judo club yesterday, I had no problem taking someone down several times with a double leg, although granted he was new at grappling in general.
    For some reason they don't teach double leg takedowns right away, at least at my dojo. The advanced students aren't fooled, but as a beginner the white belt wrestlers are the bane of my existence.

Posted On:
    9/20/2007 5:59pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    One thing that keeps it in check is training partners willing to grind you through the mats.
    Agreed. That's about all there is to say about it really. It's much easier to stay humble when you take a beating on a regular basis.

Posted On:
    9/20/2007 6:06pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA, functional JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As a point of balance, I once had a Wing Chun instructor tell me that, if you really want to become a good fighter, then just study boxing and wrestling. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by aaaargh
    It's like arguing whether punches are "better" than kicks.
    Punches are better than kicks.
    Last edited by Zendetta; 9/20/2007 9:37pm at .
    "You know what I like about you, William? You like guns AND meditation."

Posted On:
    9/20/2007 6:18pm

Style: karate,MMA(between gyms)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    HARDCOVER BOOKS ARE BETTER!!!

Tsun-Derrorist

Posted On:
    9/20/2007 7:08pm

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    Is this the illiterates convention?

It does happen a lot, one thing that keeps it in check is training partners willing to grind you through the mats.
    Agreed. Have we come full circle and internalized every piece of anti-bjj propaganda we've ever been exposed to or what? What in the hell is this stuff? Who even gets into a bar fight that lasts longer than twenty seconds and what does it matter who wins or loses? The bouncers are showing up soon and they're tossing you both out anyway, so it's not like the winner's gonna take home all the women and the crown of the land.

In case you're wondering, yes, I have used BJJ on the street. Not just the generic double leg-mount-gnp thing either. I've controlled a belligerent drunk with an omoplata from guard and cracked a nazi's elbow with an armbar. This isn't godamn rocket science.

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast