Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/19/2007 9:07pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

BJJ humility

Today in BJJ class (Renzo Gracie Academy in Midtown) our instructor had us work on bridging the gap between a potential opponent before trying a take down. We worked a fairly basic punch kick combo in order to get closer to our partner before going for the actual takedown we were practicing.

The instructor then gave a brief talk about how many people, especially those who are new to BJJ, will get over-confident outside of training and think they can beat up anyone. He basically told us we shouldn't think BJJ is the be all end all and that if we act like retards running for a double leg take down from 5 meters away we will be setting ourselves up for a knee to the face and if it so happens that it works out well for us, we were lucky not smart.

He the pointed out that we shouldn't forget we are working out on mats and if we were to get into a fight at a club, we should be mindful of were we put our heads, etc on a takedown because we could get hurt (like when falling with an oppnent during a double leg and having your head on the outside and not tucked in, your head hits floor before his body). Finally he mentioned if the guy has friends, which is very possible, avoid the situation, try not to take one guy down when there are many, etc.

Basically he stressed the importance of having a stand-up game and reminded our beginner class that we don't have some sort of ultimate weapon in our possession. I know this is nothing new and probably most people here have instructors with a similar outlook but seeing as its _ing _un sucks month, I just wanted to mention what a relief this is after months of hearing "we have a complete system, don't worry about the ground we have teh anti grapple"

I Ducked Out on a Gong Sau

Posted On:
    9/19/2007 9:17pm

Style: Gentleman Adventurer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Today's Judo class showed me how much I need a better stand up game. the ole bread and butter double leg wasn't as effective as I thought it would be.

Being humble is a good thing, and nothing is more humbling than being at the receiving end of a good O Goshi.

Here to kick your ass.

Posted On:
    9/19/2007 9:20pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Funk, you're instructor sounds like a good guy. I thought for a minute you were going to say he went the br0k3n gl455 in t3h str33t way, but it turned out quite well...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/19/2007 9:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Honest to God I was cringing in fear that he would mention it...it was a sigh of relief when he didn't.

Here to kick your ass.

Posted On:
    9/19/2007 9:36pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Though i'm always on the lookout for broken glass when i'm in clubs. I still cant figure out why they let people take glass onto the dance floor. I can tell you this- a peice of glass once got into my shoe whilst dancin- fucking kanes

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    9/19/2007 9:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Being realistic about what you are accomplishing is quite important.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/19/2007 9:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To be fair I used to work at a nightclub and it wasn't uncommon for the drunk fuckers to drop their bear bottle/ glass and not tell anyone of the staff about it. Our club in particular was ridiculously understaffed with like 4-5 employees for like 400 people. I didn't know about most of the broken glass unless some girl stepped on it in her open shoe and complained, or someone saw it next to them, didn't want to step on it and complained.

That was usually infrequent and out of the way of an open space though (usually between the table and couch where people would sit) so this is far from an endorsement of that arguement.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/19/2007 10:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^ ya i was wondering why that was int the lsit of risk to club grappling. MAn, any instructor to realize that and has teh balls enough to tell his students is on the list for me. ****... and ya because when your gonna do some submissions or grappling, the other guy is just gonna have you rolling with him while hes punching, and btw munacra just reminded me something, that bjj is a groundfighting therefore you have to get the guy to the ground... which brings up another thing on youtube ppl were saying how bbj > judo, judo > bjj, but its like saying, running > walking... you need judo for bjj anyways.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/19/2007 10:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Purpleskunk
    ^ ya i was wondering why that was int the lsit of risk to club grappling. MAn, any instructor to realize that and has teh balls enough to tell his students is on the list for me. ****... and ya because when your gonna do some submissions or grappling, the other guy is just gonna have you rolling with him while hes punching, and btw munacra just reminded me something, that bjj is a groundfighting therefore you have to get the guy to the ground... which brings up another thing on youtube ppl were saying how bbj > judo, judo > bjj, but its like saying, running > walking... you need judo for bjj anyways.
    to me it was like the experiment of putting two identical bowls of food an equal distance from a dog; my judo class has more emphasis on stand up, bjj has more emphasis on groundwork but they each do both.

solution--train in both =)

Posted On:
    9/19/2007 10:40pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've seen it happen time and again, particularly at my old Gym, which was competitive in MMA.
    People come along, and after a while, maybe six months or so, they begin to develop this overinflated ego, and in some cases an attitude that glorifies streetfighting.

After this happens, usually they end up getting dominated by someone either in a hard sparring session, or out on the street, with one of two outcomes.

One is that they fade away from training, and become the prototypical 'tough guy' out on the streets who knows enough to beat up on untrained people, but hasn't got the discipline to excel.

The other outcome is that they learn from the experience. Take the reality check, and get on with their training.

Personally, I can remember well the time i got a real wake up call that made me realize I wasn't as good as I thought. Or at least that there were plenty of others out there who were much better than I am. Luckily for me, it happened in the gym, and the only thing that got hurt was my pride. Not that I thought I was a badass or anything to begin with... I just had a false sense of security, I guess.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast