Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/19/2007 7:20pm

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

'Leg over' mount escape

You know the one, where you have mount and you posture up for whatever reason, and then the person underneath manages to throw there legs up, in front of you, and push down on ur chest or face thus throwing you off mount.

I'm ok at remaining in mount against bumps and bridges and such, but this escape gets me nearly every time.

Anyone know any escapes or attacks i can do from here? my mount game is limited to punch or attempt an armbar so something to counter this would be greeeeaaaattttt..t.

kthx.

p.s. i is not crapple! and i will ask my coach aswell.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/19/2007 7:31pm

Style: BJJ(blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're grappling just place your knees as far up the armpits as you can, scoop under is arms and just weigh on him, using one of your shoulders to apply some additional pressure. You should be kinda like smothering him as hell, while trying for a arm triangle choke or even an armbar. If you aplly enough pressure and smothering you should be able to pull off a sub without him even knowing what happened.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    9/19/2007 8:51pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you can reach down and get a hand or hands around the back of your opponents head use that to pull yourself tight to his chest. Most people don't have a lot of power in their legs when they get that far above the hip. Especially if you can get his shin/calf angled across your chest.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    9/19/2007 10:26pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1. You are a crappler if people are getting that particular mount escape on you. If you are vulnerable to this escape, then your mount position is bad. It sounds like your torso is too vertical.

High mount: Round your shoulders, crouch over your opponent's head with your hands spread out and touching the ground for additional support. Clamp(!) your knees as close to his armpits as you can. Tuck your feet under his butt to take away some of his ability to upa. This position is stable as long as you stay bent over and low with your torso. Practice holding this position on people while they try to escape.

If you rear up too high in a high mount, you will continue to suffer humiliating comedy escapes like the one you described above.

You can rear up more as your mount position moves closer to you opponent's hips. The tradeoff is, the lower the mount, the less stable the position. The lower you go, the more he can upa.

Most people don't Clamp(!) their knees around their opponent's torso sufficiently. Don't be that guy.

2. This thread belongs in Gitmo. There is nothing advanced about it. I'm not trying to be a dick when I say that, although it is true, I am a dick. Regardless, Gitmo exists to help with basic grappling questions such as yours namaste.

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    9/19/2007 10:48pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I refer to this as the "Bloodsport Escape" since I learned it from the movie bloodsport. It seems that flexible people with little grappling training (which happens to be most karate, kung fu, TKD, etc. guys) go for this.
    The simplest counter is to lean forward, and they won't be able to hook their legs around you.
    Also, as their swinging their legs up, grab one and force it towards their shoulder. This will over stretch their hamstring, and probably tap them out.
    Unless they're *REALLY* flexible.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/19/2007 11:08pm

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the help guys, sounds like I need to work on my mount position.

Sorry bout posting in the wrong place, I thought gitmo was like a detention area where stupid threads were moved to, didn't realise I could actually start a thread in there.

P.S. I'm probably a crappler based on skill level, but my grappling/wrestling coaches are not crappling :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/20/2007 12:26am

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by namaste
    Thanks for the help guys, sounds like I need to work on my mount position.

Sorry bout posting in the wrong place, I thought gitmo was like a detention area where stupid threads were moved to, didn't realise I could actually start a thread in there.

P.S. I'm probably a crappler based on skill level, but my grappling/wrestling coaches are not crappling :)
    it is :laughing9

s'ok, i still make threads here.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/20/2007 6:48am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    1. You are a crappler if people are getting that particular mount escape on you. If you are vulnerable to this escape, then your mount position is bad. It sounds like your torso is too vertical.
    Although I generally agree with you, there is one guy I train with who is flexible enough to be able to get his feet under my armpits even if I am in highmount and based down right over his head.

A way to deal with it is to put your feet on their hips when you're in mount. Keep your knees tight as usual. This does mean it's not possible to get a particularly high mount (although I can still get my knees in people's armpits as I have long legs) but it lets you control their hips so they can't roll back into you.

If they do get their legs up under your armpits, that shouldn't be enough to get you off if you react quick enough. Rotate one shoulder forwards while pummelling through with the other arm, then do the same the other side if they got both legs through.

As people always seem to say this escape should never work, only works on noobs etc, it's worth remembering that Anderson Silva escaped Lutter's mount like this.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    9/20/2007 10:45am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RobT
    Although I generally agree with you, there is one guy I train with who is flexible enough to be able to get his feet under my armpits even if I am in highmount and based down right over his head.
    If I understand the OP correctly, that is a different and much more technically refined escape from mount than the one the OP references in his first post. I use the feet in his armpits escape myself. It's a good escape to attempt when you're underneath someone who has you in a high mount. Although the counter is fairly easy to manage if you know it.

I believe the OP was referring to the escape where the person in mount raises their torso enough that the person under mount can reach up and place/cross their feet on the top guy's chest. The person underneath then uses his leg strength to push top man's torso down to the mat while sitting up themselves.

I would be sorely tempted to heel hook or shin crush the person attempting this mount escape against me if they managed to get their feet in front of me while I was in the mount position.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    9/20/2007 11:03am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I too would consider that a different escape, however there's a purple belt with legs as long as I'm tall who can do the op's on anyone when they're transitioning between mounts. The defense:
    turn sideways.
    Last edited by UpaLumpa; 9/20/2007 11:06am at .
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast