Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/22/2007 6:01am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: working and schooling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    WorldWarCheese: In the movie, Throwdown, Ric Meyers points out several scenes and/or references to the Kurosawa film. Throwdown is pretty wierd and a little slow paced, but I thought it was pretty good.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    9/22/2007 9:26am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goofus lee

Anyone check out any of the Sonny Chiba/ Mas Oyama films? They are: Karate Bull Fighter, Karate Bear Fighter, and Karate for Life. I've said it before and I'll say it again: If these movies are an accurate depiction of Mas Oyama's life, then the dude's a rapist and mass murderer! This is some silly stuff. Check out the Streetfighter, the first movie to recieve an "X" rating for violence. Return of the Streetfighter has a pretty good scene where Sonny Chiba encounters a bullshidoist in a spa; hilarity ensues.
    Already mentioned the Oyama/Chiba films. The Oyama triology was very loosly based on Oyama extremely far from an accurate bio of his life. This is not to say Oyama was a saint. He was a hoodlum and bully when he was younger, but AFIK not a rapist. He did hang out with gansters. It wasn't uncommon to see yakuza in the dojos in Japan. But like most pple he mellowed with age.

Another movie I mentioned before that is worth checking out is RIKIDOZAN. It tells the life of Rikidozan, the father of pro wrestling in Japan. He, like Mas Oyama, was Korean but was one of Japans national heros because eventhough Japan lost to the Americans in the war Rikidozan was beating them up in the ring. (And this was during the time when the public saw PW as real figthing) The movie also depicts the infamous match between Rikidozan and Kimura (called Imura in the film and played by Masakatsu Funaki) in which Rikidozan when form FAKE to REAL and beat the hell out of Kimura. According to the stories I've heard Oyama was with Kimura backstage after the match (Oyama was into PW too under the name MAS TOGO). Oyama wanted to take care of Rikidozan for the assualt but was talked out of it. In the movie there is a young guy who pleads with Imura to go after Rikidozan but is told to let it go as well.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    9/22/2007 10:04am

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm sorry for not having time to read the whole thread. I may be repeating what has been said before. Here are my nominations, in this order:-

1) Zatoichi (high-production modern japanese movie about a blind-ex samurai who spills a lot of blood very graphically. Anime-like blood-spilling with high-quality actors, choreography and subtle special effects.).

2) Rocky I. I don't need to explain this.

3) Raging Bull with De Neiro (beautifully made, but the martial art of Boxing is a backdrop more than the focus of the film IMHO).
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Posted On:
    9/22/2007 10:28am

Style: Mixed-Up Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DaChinkOfSteel
    Um...you mean Red Dawn...?

...no...

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    9/22/2007 12:37pm

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm going to have to disagree with Ronin.74 about his movie pick of Circle of Iron. I saw it in the eighties and thought it was cool. I watched it again, recently, and the choreography was terrible. The movie itself didn't hold up. If it was made as Bruce Lee had intended, as I understand it; Circle of Iron would have been a lot like Ricki-Oh: the Story of Ricky.

Half a Loaf of Kung Fu is still one of my favorite Jackie Chan movies.

And, not to pick on you Ronin, I was disappointed with City of Violence. I really wanted to like it, really I did. The movie seemed to go for a Quentin Tarantino feel, but it wasn't sure of itself. Lots of cool shots and lots of cool camera work were used to good effect ie: the mass knife fight in the hallway. The MA fights in general were somewhat generic and stereotypical of TKD. Every other kick was a jump kick! Where were the punches? I think there were maybe ten in the whole film. As a whole, City of Violence was as disappointing as the Purifiers.

If you like stuff like the Seven Samurai, check out Sword of Doom.
    I don't recall ever recommeding Circle of Iron, probably because I've never seen it.

I think part of the idea with City of Violence is that it was supposed to have a Tarantino feel, but I did have problems with how the story played out, sections of it seemed rushed. As far as it being a lot of TKD, it's Korean, what did you expect?

Posted On:
    9/22/2007 3:45pm

Style: Mixed-Up Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Showdown in Little Tokyo", Brandon Lee and Dolf Lungred.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/22/2007 6:56pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ronin, I totally misquoted you, sorry. It was AikiZenDragon who liked Circle of Iron. I'll tell you what everyone knows about me: I have unreal expectations. Put some insanity on your potato and go see Yor, Hunter from the Future( you'll laugh your ass off!).

Best fight scene(s) in a non MA movie: the trailer fight between John Goodman and Nicholas Cage in Raising Arizona the zombie killing priest in Peter Jackson's Dead Alive( aka Brain Dead was Jackson's second or third movie. This was during his "splatstick" phase and was quite possibly the goriest movie of all time. He followed it up with the Frighteners, Heavenly Creatures, and the Lord of the Rings trilogy). The priest used his krotty skills to dispatch zombies while voicing such gems as: "I kick ass for the Lord!" and" Stand back boy! This calls for divine intervention! Kiiiiiiiiaaaaaiaiiiiii!
    Last edited by goofus lee; 9/22/2007 8:11pm at . Reason: me being an idiot

Posted On:
    9/22/2007 8:24pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    new2bjj: Jeff Cooper( mostly a tv actor from the 60's-80's), not Reb Brown, played Cord. You may remember Reb Brown from such suckfests as the Cage, the Cage 2, Captain America 1, and Captain America 2. Reb was also in Uncommon Valor with Gene Hackman, Fred Ward, Patrick Swayze, and a bunch of other dudes. If you want "classic" Brown though, check out Yor, Hunter from the Future. It is probably one of the most laughingly-bad-but-good films out there.

Anyone check out any of the Sonny Chiba/ Mas Oyama films? They are: Karate Bull Fighter, Karate Bear Fighter, and Karate for Life. I've said it before and I'll say it again: If these movies are an accurate depiction of Mas Oyama's life, then the dude's a rapist and mass murderer! This is some silly stuff. Check out the Streetfighter, the first movie to recieve an "X" rating for violence. Return of the Streetfighter has a pretty good scene where Sonny Chiba encounters a bullshidoist in a spa; hilarity ensues.
    I stand corrected- My favorite, or one of my favorites in Return of the Streetfighter is the X-ray of the guys skull as Chiba crushes it with a punch.

Posted On:
    9/23/2007 1:15am

Style: Muay Thai n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    WorldWarCheese: In the movie, Throwdown, Ric Meyers points out several scenes and/or references to the Kurosawa film. Throwdown is pretty wierd and a little slow paced, but I thought it was pretty good.
    I
    ll have to check that one out soon, thanks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/23/2007 1:16am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    new2bjj: That shot was so popular that it was replicated in at least 3 other movies: Ricki-Oh: the Story of Ricki, Romeo Must Die, and the Toxic Avenger 4: Citizen Toxie. Check out Rickie-Oh if you have the chance. It's hilarious.

Asia: Didn't Rikidozan die like Bruiser Brody did? Wasn't he also the guy who introduced greco-roman wrestling moves to pro wrestling in Japan?

DaChinkOfSteel: Steel Dawn was actually a decent post apocolyptic swordfighting movie. It's probably the best example of the subgenre.

WorldWarCheese: Your Jackie Chan drinking game is similar to the Bruce Campbell drinking game. Playing it during the Evil Dead is totally lethal.