Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 289101112 13141516 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    9/21/2007 10:32pm

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok so I rented City of Violence and Seven Samurai and sat down by myself and gave both of the films my complete undivided attention.

City of Violence was pretty good, but it seemed like they were trying to hard to tie up all the loose ends in a short amount of time. Still a great MA film.

Seven Samurai is spectacular, not just as an MA film, but as a film in general. Excellent story, excellent characters, excellent acting. Fucking spectacular, it should be, not only a cornerstone of Japanese cinema, but a cornerstone for all cinema. If you haven't seen it, get your ass to the store and rent it immediately.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/21/2007 10:59pm

Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i would recommend any of the "Bourne" movies... identity, supremacy, or ultimatuum, and a flick written by Bruce Lee called "Circle of Iron" or it is sometimes called "The Magic Flute"

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    9/21/2007 11:03pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can't go wrong with Seven Samurai.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/21/2007 11:42pm

Style: Tae Kwon Did

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, I haven't really read through all of the posts, so I'll give you my thoughts on what martial art movies you should get.

Fearless
    Once upon in China 1,2,3
    The Legend of the Druken Master
    Kung Fu Hustle

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/22/2007 1:13am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: working and schooling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm going to have to disagree with Ronin.74 about his movie pick of Circle of Iron. I saw it in the eighties and thought it was cool. I watched it again, recently, and the choreography was terrible. The movie itself didn't hold up. If it was made as Bruce Lee had intended, as I understand it; Circle of Iron would have been a lot like Ricki-Oh: the Story of Ricky.

Half a Loaf of Kung Fu is still one of my favorite Jackie Chan movies.

And, not to pick on you Ronin, I was disappointed with City of Violence. I really wanted to like it, really I did. The movie seemed to go for a Quentin Tarantino feel, but it wasn't sure of itself. Lots of cool shots and lots of cool camera work were used to good effect ie: the mass knife fight in the hallway. The MA fights in general were somewhat generic and stereotypical of TKD. Every other kick was a jump kick! Where were the punches? I think there were maybe ten in the whole film. As a whole, City of Violence was as disappointing as the Purifiers.

If you like stuff like the Seven Samurai, check out Sword of Doom.

Posted On:
    9/22/2007 1:24am

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sword of Doom. Good pick. Never liked Circle of Iron, not to pick on Ronin 74, but it seemed like the ultimate insult to have David Carridine, the guy who took the role Lee had thought of ( or at least his bio claims) on Kung Fu, to also take his role in what was to be a moive that he, Steve McQueen and James Coburn were to star in. Instead, we get Reb Brown (whatever happened to him) and Chrsitopher Lee. Now, if you saw it when you were loaded, it is a decent stoner flick.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/22/2007 1:25am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, MT, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    Zub-Zub, from what movie is this abomination from????

s a fictional character created by SEGA to advertise the Sega Saturn in Japan between 1997 and 1998. He is a parody of Sugata Sanshirō[1], a legendary judo fighter from an Akira Kurosawa film, Sanshiro Sugata.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Segata_...me_song_lyrics

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/22/2007 2:44am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: working and schooling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    new2bjj: Jeff Cooper( mostly a tv actor from the 60's-80's), not Reb Brown, played Cord. You may remember Reb Brown from such suckfests as the Cage, the Cage 2, Captain America 1, and Captain America 2. Reb was also in Uncommon Valor with Gene Hackman, Fred Ward, Patrick Swayze, and a bunch of other dudes. If you want "classic" Brown though, check out Yor, Hunter from the Future. It is probably one of the most laughingly-bad-but-good films out there.

Anyone check out any of the Sonny Chiba/ Mas Oyama films? They are: Karate Bull Fighter, Karate Bear Fighter, and Karate for Life. I've said it before and I'll say it again: If these movies are an accurate depiction of Mas Oyama's life, then the dude's a rapist and mass murderer! This is some silly stuff. Check out the Streetfighter, the first movie to recieve an "X" rating for violence. Return of the Streetfighter has a pretty good scene where Sonny Chiba encounters a bullshidoist in a spa; hilarity ensues.

Posted On:
    9/22/2007 5:38am

Style: Muay Thai n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Sanshiro Sugata" It is the epitamy of all martial arts films and every director/actor/whatever should strive to be 1/6th of it's greatness.

This is the Kimura of Martial Arts Movies.

[EDIT: I just noticed it's been already said, but that doesn't change my feelings about the movie]

Posted On:
    9/22/2007 5:42am

Style: Muay Thai n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh. And on the Drunken Master one here's a fun game for you and the family to enjoy:

Everytime Jackie takes a drink, you do too! The older (and IMHO better) one will leave you mighty happy be the end and the new one isn't as bad either (tho' not as good for the game)