Stan doesn't coach at UT Judo anymore jkartigue. Which makes me sad :(

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    10/17/2007 4:35pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sucks he is a good coach. Call me Josh also.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

I Ducked Out on a Gong Sau

Posted On:
    10/17/2007 4:40pm

Style: Gentleman Adventurer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah. He has probably the best kouchi gari. It's amazing how he can just pull that throw rigth off like that, even though you know it's coming.

He was here bout two weeks ago actually, and he was talking about coming back to Austin and coach our team again. When I see him again, I'll give him your hello.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/10/2007 7:19am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We had this big Ukranian guy Dimitri in our dojo who often used this grip. He had a lot of competitive sambo experience, and told me it came from there, but I never had him elaborate. I think turning the sleeve out at the wrist to give yourself a very strong grip is legal in sambo, making this a much harder position to escape. Not to mention the rolling knee bar.

From my observations, Dimitri used this grip to hamper his opponent's movement. He clenched as much gi between the shoulders as he could grab to tighten his opponent's gi, and constantly pulled down. He'd frequently pull people straight to their knees, and work subs from there. When he couldn't do that, he used uchi matas supplimented either by ankle picks to the far leg or attempts to pass to the back.

Finally, he taught me a tomoe-nage from here that was so useful I tried to change my playstyle around to encorporate this grip for a couple months (though I discovered I didn't have the upper body strength to pull it off). Just bring your left foot up to their right hip and roll backwards. What's great about it is that if you're in close your opponent can't see your legs and often responds to the feeling of your hip advancing by switching his weight to his far leg, which only makes the throw more effective. On top of that, a firm grip on his close wrist prevents him from posting.

I just remembered we had a black belt who used to hit me with this all the time. He was very short, and used this to his advantage. From this grip, he would pull me forward to create an opening between my close arm and leg to stick his butt, and then balancy me on his back. In one fluid motion, he would transfer my sleeve to his right hand, and bring his left down to support my knee as he tilted me off his back. For a while I was completely shutting him down by posting my left arm against his right thigh, which gave me the control to get my knees under me for the landing (so I assume someone more agile could post all the way to standing), but it suddenly stopped working when he realized to pull my posting arm across his stomach.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/11/2007 10:55am

Style: Kickboxing, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw
    It seems like with having his arm in front of you like that, you wouldn't be too far from taking his back.
    Also, being so side-on to your opponent, you might be able to go for kani bassami. But you seem to be trying to get away from sacrifice throws that put you in bad positions when they don't work.
    For the record, kani-bassami is a prohibited technique in judo competition.

Pseudo-Scrambler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    11/11/2007 3:23pm

supporting member
     Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JabCrossHook
    For the record, kani-bassami is a prohibited technique in judo competition.

...and BJJ

Posted On:
    11/12/2007 11:29am

Style: Shootfighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, my club had a seminar with Jon-Olav Einemo yesterday (great guy), and he showed us maybe two techniques from a similar grip, only you don't have the back, but the biceps. It's a grip you can get if someone grabs your neck and you counter that by pushing your shoulder into it, and grabbing the wrist, thus crossing the arm. Then you grab the tricep/bicep with your other arm. Anyhow, since it's no gi, you can't bend them over as easily, but one thing that happens quite frequently (according to him) is that they'll try to either push off your head or yank their arm back to get out of your control. In both cases, it's a great opportunity to drop levels and shoot. I guess the judo term for that is morote gari? (I'm really not sure.) Also, our coach showed one technique where you duck under the arm and grab across the body. You end up with your head on the other side of his arm, kind of like a side choke, but you grab across the body, under the armpits. Good position to suplex from.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234