Still digging on James Brown

Posted On:
    9/18/2007 4:54pm

Style: BJJ & Judo (1k)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Attacks from this grip?

How are you gentlemen.

This grip quickly became a favourite of mine right when I started judo. My attack from there was a side sacrifice throw that worked 90% of the time in training. Now recently I competed. I got the grip and my favourite throw failed me over and over. People just didn't react the same way in competition. Instead I was scoring with techniques I don't train nearly as often.

So I've decided to give up on the sacrifice throw and try and learn other techniques better instead. Since I've become rather good at getting the grip I feel like not having an attack from there is a waste. Now I am wondering if anyone else on here uses this sort of grip and what they would recommend trying.

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    9/18/2007 5:29pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It seems like with having his arm in front of you like that, you wouldn't be too far from taking his back.
    Also, being so side-on to your opponent, you might be able to go for kani bassami. But you seem to be trying to get away from sacrifice throws that put you in bad positions when they don't work.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/18/2007 6:44pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know if it's the right name, but uchimata? If he posts with his right arm, take his back.

Tani Otoshi (haha, I just found out the proper name for that - judoinfo.com!) would seem to be an easy trip from there.

Flying armbar for style points.

Hoo Ha!

Posted On:
    9/18/2007 6:51pm

supporting member
     Style: San Da, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I certainly prefer the position of the guy whose arm is in front of the other guy. His foot is also behing yours. First thing I would do is to get your leg behind his and buckle it, then follow through with the momentum.

Posted On:
    9/18/2007 6:54pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Definitely Uchi mata and Side Valley Drop. If you get your leg all the way across in front, Harai Goshi. You could also pick the close side ankle, get him hopping, and sweep the far leg. Outside to inside duck under might be another possibility.

Posted On:
    9/18/2007 8:28pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you work in a step around your opponent's left leg you could try a sukui nage... or was that the throw you started out with?

Anyway Uchi Mata definitely looks like the best bet, based on positioning.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    9/18/2007 9:15pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is a wicked ass throw that I was taught. Sorta easten european Judo/Sambo.

Same grip. Skip step your left foot to your right one. Lift the right leg and place your right instep on thier right inner thigh/back of knee. Now sit back while pulling them backwards. Kick your right leg up in the air, they go flying onto thier back. You get side control.

There are a lot of key points on this throw. Mainly just being heavy on thier shoulder so they cant get postured up. Once they are all bent over it is much easier to sit back and toss them back.

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    9/18/2007 9:29pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1. Sumi geashi - more than likely the sacrifice throw you was doing.
    2. Ouchigari - Jimmy Pedro has a killer low level ouchi from here.
    3. Ouchi to Kuchikitaoshi (sp)(foot pick)- hit the near leg as the step back reach down and pick the foot. My personal favorite.
    4. Ouchi to Uchimata - hit the near leg and grab the sleeve and blam. Inouefrom japan is a master of this
    5. Kataguruma- Duck under the arm with your head load on shoulders and over he goes. Jimmy Pedro has a great one here too.
    6. Teguruma/sukuinage - drive in reach through the legs with your other hand get you hips under and lift. Big Badaboom. Doug Fournet US Sambo champ has a wicked pickup series. Ryan Reser US Judo champ is destroying people with his pick ups right now
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Pseudo-Scrambler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    9/18/2007 9:31pm

supporting member
     Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I got uchi-mata'd from here earlier tonight...
    Last edited by M-Tri; 9/18/2007 9:53pm at .

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    9/18/2007 9:34pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9
    There is a wicked ass throw that I was taught. Sorta easten european Judo/Sambo.

Same grip. Skip step your left foot to your right one. Lift the right leg and place your right instep on thier right inner thigh/back of knee. Now sit back while pulling them backwards. Kick your right leg up in the air, they go flying onto thier back. You get side control.

There are a lot of key points on this throw. Mainly just being heavy on thier shoulder so they cant get postured up. Once they are all bent over it is much easier to sit back and toss them back.
    Sidenote: Whenever I get single-legged and I can't sprawl, I insert my foot as a hook between his legs and behind his far knee, pop out with my other leg so both of us are facing the same way, grab behind his close knee with my far hand and do the exact same thing you describe above.

edit: You must keep his back bent to pull this off. Therefore I usually use a whizzer or grab around his neck instead of grabbing his belt at his back with my near arm. If his back is straight and he's got your leg , don't try this.
    Last edited by jnp; 9/18/2007 9:39pm at .
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast